Solar controller

Submitted: Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 15:17
ThreadID: 147645 Views:1040 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
Hello,
This time it's about solar controllers.

I had a Renogy Rover Elite MPPT 40 amp controller which fitted nicely in the space I had available in the caravan.
It has failed and Renogy don't supply that model any more, I am in the process of getting a refund.
I only have 200 watt fixed to the roof and a 200 watt foldable panel I can connect if needed.

With that amount of solar input will a MPPT controller far out perform a PWM controller?
There is plenty of PWM ones that will fit the space I have available.

The other more expensive option is a MPPT controller which I can fit near the batteries' with a remote head unit I can mount where the old one was. I don't want something I have to check with an app.
I hope that makes sense.
William

PS. From the article on this site it seems there is not much difference for the panels I have.
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 17:14

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 17:14
G'day william
I have the same reg and it has stopped the history reading aspect, but does still work. With Regs a PWM can only deliver the panel amp ability to the battery , ie, locked to battery voltage plus a bit more, whereas, if the panel voltage and power point at that instant/conditions are same amps but higher voltage, the MPPT will convert the additional panel voltage into more amps than the PWM can achieve.
With suitable regulator, MPPT which has a higher input voltage tolerance, you could, with an Anderson plug have a point where an Anderson simply connects the Present solar to the regulator. ie an inline Anderson join of positive wire. If the folding panel is of similar/same output and current ability, and by using a crossover wired anderson adapter (clearly labelled as to their use/position, the folding panel could be used to, "Not Parallel connect" but series connect the two solars, so double voltage is seen at the regulator. Then the MPPT can take advantage of it all and provide with an earlier start. later finish and more harvest while sun on both. Just an option which may be worthwhile.

I have a 24v system running house panels in series to double voltage to over 70v open circuit, around 56v while charging and being more than double the system voltage the MPPT controller outputs more than double the amp flow compared to that in the solar line.
AnswerID: 645811

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 17:28

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 17:28
I admit my Victron bias with a few devices running here faultless for years.

MPPT controllers will typically output 15-20% more energy into your battery.

Consider a 30A Victron BlueSolar MPPT 100/30 solar controller.

I'm guessing that it will be physically no bigger than your existing Renogy controller.

Set the switch to your battery type, wire in and forget.
AnswerID: 645812

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 06:46

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 06:46
Hi William B,

The short answer is an MPPT controller will outperform a PWM controller, and give better results.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645815

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 08:31

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 08:31
It's a time consuming process dealing with Renogy I had a 170ah Lithium fail after 15 months and they had no way of testing it even after I suggested I could take it to an auto elec. They just took my word that it failed they didn't want the old one back and replaced it with a new one which I still had to pay a bit for under the warranty conditions. It took a while for the warranty claim to go through after following their system of raising a ticket and having to suppy pics of the item each time what a joke. I won't be buying any more of their products.
AnswerID: 645816

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:20

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:20
G'Day Batt's.
I had a similar experience, You can ask them a tech question but they duck shove and start giving nonsense answers as though they don't know anything much about their product. Perhaps the circuit designers do, but the general staff are ignorant and not worth dealing with. They claim they get their forwarded reply from a technical member of staff who are in the "mechanism" of the company. Not true. Nothing they suggest fixes the problem I had. Although described very comprehensively, it seemed they ignored the info and suggested nonsense fixes.
I also will not buy RENOGY anymore. It is funny how all the sellers of items, now want a video to show, WHAT EXACTLY??? In your case a battery which isn't working LOOKS EXACTLY the same as a battery which works properly. I believe we are now dealing with the dumb end of society who somehow got jobs in businesses and are useless to customers. Renogy HAS OUR MONEY and that is ALL they care about.
FollowupID: 926196

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 10:39

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 10:39
Exactly what I thought yeah I should have told them to look at their own site for a stiil image of the item.
FollowupID: 926201

Follow Up By: Member - William B - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 18:26

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 18:26
To their credit once I had sent them a photo of the multi meter readings they asked for they accepted the unit was faulty, didn't ask for the old unit, the big problem for me was they don't have that controller any more.
Getting a refund is dragging on.
No more Renogy products for me.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926211

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 21:33

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 21:33
What’s your aversion to an app ?
I have only one device with an app ( 2 actually, an Evakool fridge, but once set, it doesn’t need the app )…a Victron 30A solar controller.
Although it doesn’t come with a remote display, the app is so easy to look at. Once you know the solar panels are in sun, and you know they both work , you probably don’t need to look at the app.
AnswerID: 645831

Follow Up By: Genny - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 19:48

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 19:48
I found the Evakool app to be a little unfriendly. At one stage, Kickass fridges were just rebranded Evakools. I liked the Kickass app more than the Evakool, and it works with Evakool fridges. Very cleverly, Evakool broadcast the password needed to connect with the fridge. While camped around the billabong at Winton a while ago there were 6 Evakool fridges I could have logged in to .........
FollowupID: 926284

Sponsored Links