Web based map to store/show multiple route files (KLM or GPX)

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 05, 2024 at 00:10
ThreadID: 147149 Views:757 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
I run the tech for a 4wd club and am trying to find the best place to publish the recorded routes of out 4WD trips * they will be uploaded as GPX, KML OR KMZ.

Google My Maps only allows 10 GPX routes (one per layer).
Hema seems to have dropped the ball on their online map.
OpenStreetMap doesnt seem to do it either.

Does anyone know where i might find a suitable map repository for our trips that can be viewed and downloaded for others to use?
Indeed, does ExploreOz have such a facility for clubs, rather than individual? Cant see ine.
Can be paid or free.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2024 at 11:07

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2024 at 11:07
Why don't you just create multiple maps in Google My Maps? I've 21 maps in My Maps, I think the only limitation is your Google storage. You would need to have something like multiple maps anyway, as it would get messy really quickly. Does Google Earth have a limit? If you just stored the trips as suitably organised data files, your members could download them to their mapping app of choice.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645433

Reply By: Member - Kenny M - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2024 at 13:22

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2024 at 13:22
Yeah, that's my fallback option.
We do 30-40 trips a year and I'd like to have the ability to show all trips on the one map.
AnswerID: 645436

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2024 at 13:59

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2024 at 13:59
If you or someone else in the club have GIS skills, you could use something likeQGIS to display the trips on your website and have the individual trips as downloadable gpx, kml etc files.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925730

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 08, 2024 at 09:25

Friday, Mar 08, 2024 at 09:25
Hi Kenny,

Our site has most of the tools you are after however we currently do not have some of these published. You could have a member account for the club and load all GPX into that account set them as Open but currently only members of ExplorOz can download but they can be easily added to the ExplorOz Traveller app, but your members would need to be traveller users.

Do you recommend an app to your members? We could setup a club deal or something if that was a potential for you. We can discuss this more if you wish and would ask if you could go to the Help Desk option in the page footer and create a ticket so we can communicate directly.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645441

Follow Up By: Member - Kenny M - Saturday, Mar 09, 2024 at 07:45

Saturday, Mar 09, 2024 at 07:45
Thanks David, love your work!
I actually introduced ExplorOz in a presentation last week and will definitely follow up on a member discount.
I'll load up some trips to my account and see how if it might work. I suspect the barrier to download might be an issue but we'll see.
Kenny
FollowupID: 925745

Reply By: Member - Kenny M - Saturday, Mar 09, 2024 at 07:39

Saturday, Mar 09, 2024 at 07:39
Thanks @warren h - had a look at QGIS. I've dabbled in GIS but forgotten most of it. I'll have a play with it.
AnswerID: 645445

Sponsored Links