Driving Outback Tracks with a 4x4 Campervan

Submitted: Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 22:28
ThreadID: 140465 Views:11051 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Has someone experince in driving outback tracks with a 4x4 campervan
I'm look for some information, whether it is possible or not recommended to drive one of the following outback tracks
Gunbarrel Highway, Tamani Track, Gib River Road, Gulf Savannah Track, Oodnadatta Track, Birdville Track, Strzeleck Track
with a Mercedes Benc Sprinter 4x4 Campervan fitted with all terrain tyres.
and what is the best time for the tracks .
Thank you for your comments
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 22:52

Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 22:52
Hi Werner

All but one of the above are very well travelled, wide outback roads and can be travelled in almost any vehicle providing it is not wet. The biggest issue on some will be your ability to have a long range of travel from your available fuel capacity.

For example, the Strezeleck is around 550 kilometres with no fuel stops along the way and even longer along the Tanami. The best time to travel these areas is during our Australian winter months.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633283

Reply By: ian - Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 23:42

Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 23:42
Hi Werner,
taking into account the usual warnings about speed and vehicle condition, all except the Gunbarrel should be OK in winter.
ian
AnswerID: 633284

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 07:11

Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 07:11
G'day Werner,
I have seen vehicles ruined on these tracks & have driven them without any issues myself.
It's all about taking your time & knowing where all 4 wheels are placed on the road in addition to being aware of the lowest points on your vehicle.
While I have a fully equipped 4WD I have on occasion found myself having to drive coventional vehicles on very degraded tracks. In a remote area driving a conventional Ford Falcon a co-worker once said to me "I can't believe you negotiated that track without a scratch on the vehicle".
Its all about knowing yours & the vehicles capabities.
I have often been told it must be great having a 4WD & never getting stuck. Trust me 4WD's do come unstuck when you do make a miscalculation & you are usually very remote when you do it. Preparing your mind & vehicle for this will reduce your stress levels.
Go for it & enjoy the trip but like already said stay put if it rains.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 633286

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 07:42

Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 07:42
One other thing I forgot to point out.
These tracks get graded from time to time & if you are lucky enough to travel shortly after this the roads can be much better.
We travelled the Gulf rd some years back & met up with the grader crew part way. The section the crew had done was like a highway in comparison with the part of the road still to be done. The wet season rains can cause exposed rocks & erosion gullies which need care to negotiate.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 910269

Reply By: Member BarryG - Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 08:09

Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 08:09
Hi Werner,

I agree with Stephen and others above. All except the Gunbarrel Highway should be fine and the best time to travel is in Australia's winter. (The Gunbarrel should ONLY be approached with a capable team and a well-prepared and capable vehicle.)
Take your time and enjoy!

Regards
Barry
AnswerID: 633287

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 08:17

Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 08:17
Hi Werner,
You must lower the tyre pressures to soften the ride, otherwise everything inside will rattle and shake. I once watched a similar vehicle struggle along the Plenty Highway doing 10-20 kph while for me it was a good 80kph road.
AnswerID: 633288

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 10:33

Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 10:33
Not that I would recommend it, but I have seen locals drive their ordinary, somewhat beaten up 2wd sedans across those tracks. So it can be done provided you take the time and take care. Most importantly, check the road conditions before you start. It can go from dry and smooth to a muddy bog hole in no time if it rains!
AnswerID: 633291

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 15:14

Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 15:14
quote with a Mercedes Benc Sprinter 4x4 Campervan fitted with all terrain tyres. quote
Is the Mercedes a big van or a coachbuilt unit.
A big van would be OK as long as the furniture inside is well mounted.
Coachbuilts can vary greatly in quality.
From the point of view of a van, the first point of weakness would be damage to furniture from coming loose.
AnswerID: 633293

Reply By: Member - Supersi - Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 19:58

Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 19:58
As per other comments, lower your tyre pressures and reduce speed accordingly - I suggest 80kmh max with lowered (say 25psi) tyre pressures. And have a decent compressor to reinflate your tyres once you hit the bitumen again.
AnswerID: 633294

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Sep 06, 2020 at 08:58

Sunday, Sep 06, 2020 at 08:58
Hi Werner,

I believe the Mercedes Benz Sprinter 4x4 is really only an “all wheel drive”, and not a “true” 4x4 with both Hi & Low ratio transfer case, someone will correct me if I am wrong. Also, I do not believe it has a very high ground clearance.

Having said that, of all the roads you have mentioned, the only one that you might have trouble with would be The Gunbarrel Highway, and that would depend on which part of the Gunbarrel you intend to drive. I have driven the Gunbarrel around Surveyor Generals Corner, and it is not that bad, corrugated, but driveable in a 2 WD. The other outback roads you have mentioned can be driven with a 2 WD in the right conditions, most of the local indigenous people do. However, if it is wet, even a 4x4 will struggle. Tyre pressures and the correct speed for the road conditions are the secrete for outback roads.

Can I ask how experienced you are with driving In Australia’s outback? If you are not aware, it is extremely remote, with help possibly days away depending on where you are. The roads you have mentioned are fairly well travelled in the winter months with the exception of the Gunbarrel, as parts of this are very remote and can be fairly corrugated so not well travelled. You will need good communications, UHF radio for short distance, Sat Phone for long distance and an EPIRB or PLB for emergencies. An EPIRB or Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, or PLB Personal Location Beacon if correctly registered, once activated will send a signal via satellite to the relevant authority with you GPS location in order to send the appropriate help. You will also need plenty of water just in case.

Fuel for the most part should not be a problem with the exception of The Tanami Track, and The Gunbarrel Highway. If you have not already got one, can I suggest you buy the HEMA Australia Road & 4WD Atlas, it has very good maps of most of Australia including outback roads & tracks showing locations of fuel stops etc.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633299

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Sep 06, 2020 at 10:30

Sunday, Sep 06, 2020 at 10:30
Macca
Are they full time 4WD or two wheel drive with the 4WD being only full time "on Demand" as many recent SUV's and vehicle are? Can't see them as a true 4WD. Badges and claims in brochures can be misleading and give people confidence but the vehicle hasn't got the ability.
FollowupID: 910283

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, Sep 07, 2020 at 00:54

Monday, Sep 07, 2020 at 00:54
Werner,

I hired a "Scout", which is a 4WD Sprinter van, from Britz in 2018. They cycle them out of their inventory after only one or two seasons. I wonder if the van you propose to drive is a former Britz Scout?

I'm not familiar with all of the roads/tracks you mention. I do know the Tanami, Oodnadatta, Birdsville, and Strzelecki Tracks are relatively wide roads that are maintained. They may have some corrugations but as mentioned above, you actually don't need a 4WD if it's dry. (Though hire companies will insist you get a 4WD for any dirt roads.)

The Gunbarrel, at least the part I drove, is a different matter. And I did not drive on the particularly rough "abandoned" section. A lot of the stretch I drove is a true track, only a single vehicle width. And there are "washaways" in sections. I drove the Gunbarrel last year, in a Toyota Troopcarrier ("Troopy") hire vehicle. I think the Sprinter would have got through okay. But I don't think it's the best choice for true tracks.

The Sprinter is somewhat larger than the typical 4WD used outback. It is wider and longer. And here I am assuming the vehicle you plan to drive has not been extended to be even longer. I was pleased that the ground clearance on mine was quite high. Once, someone asked me where and how the "lift" was installed, because they wanted to do something similar to their own vehicle! (I don't know if Britz had the vehicles lifted higher or not.) Will yours be the same?

During my time in the Sprinter, I found the ride on corrugations to be quite poor. I drove the section of the Anne Beadell "Highway" west to Emu and back. This stretch of track is notoriously corrugated. The ride was extremely "bouncy", very uncomfortably so. A different ride on corrugations than in the Troopy. Or for that matter, any 4WD vehicle I've owned here at home in the US. Perhaps a different Sprinter might have a different suspension set-up, and wouldn't have this problem? I don't know.

Another important point raised above is the fuel capacity. The Sprinter I drove had only a 75-liter tank. Compare to a Troopy, that has a total capacity of 180 liters. I think some Sprinters may have larger tanks, or have been fitted with a second tank. But this is a very important consideration. During my Emu jaunt mentioned above, the "low fuel" light was on before I got back to Coober Pedy.

One thing the Sprinter may lack that a "real" 4WD would have is recovery points, AKA tow hooks.
My Sprinter had an eye bolt that screws into a hole on the front and/or rear of the vehicle, like a subcompact car would have! Thankfully I did not need to be pulled out of anything!

As for tyres, mine was fitted with Bridgestone Dueler AT's, which performed well through my travels. Most important, no punctures!

As mentioned, the most important factor in safe travel is to "drive to conditions." Lastly, yes, the winter months (and possibly late Autumn/early spring) are the time to travel in the Outback.
AnswerID: 633307

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2020 at 15:52

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2020 at 15:52
Hi Candace,

Out of curiosity, how would you rate a Ford F-250 4X4 compared to say a 78 Series Landcruiser Dual Cap Ute? I am curious as I have often thought that the American Pickups are not as “strong” off road as the Landcruiser.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910352

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 03:51

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 03:51
Macca,

Sorry, I haven't been on the site for a while and just saw your question!

I've never owned a "pickup truck." Nor even driven one on the dirt. But my perception is the good ol' troopy wagons (with bushcamper conversion) I drove in Oz are probably better for the sort of driving done in the outback. In particular, for driving hundreds of kilometers on rough, corrugated roads. :)
FollowupID: 910575

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:10

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:10
Thanks Candace, no problem with the delay, we are all busy at times. I thought along the same lines as you, but like you, I have not driven any of the American pick ups. I know there are parts of the US that are pretty rugged, and America does have more pickups than Landcruisers, so I was curious to know if there were many “breakages” with the pickups.

I have had a 100 Series, a 76 Series, and now a 200 Series, so I am pretty familiar with their capabilities and the toughness.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910576

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:51

Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:51
Macca,

I see, I think you are concerned about frame or chassis breakage, as happens sometimes with the dual-cab utes? That seems very uncommon with pickup trucks here. Probably because the rear axle is located farther back. Though creative owners still find ways to screw it up, LOL:Bent F150

My internet search revealed other people with cracked/broken pickup frames. But it appeared most were using their pickups as snow plows, or the trucks had otherwise been used for many years in "snow country" where rust is a big issue. Or the vehicle was decades old.

Of course, placing the rear axle farther back leads to a longer wheelbase. Which makes these big trucks unsuitable for really rough roads; they bottom-out or get hung up in tight turns. Unless you throw on a lofty lift and huge rims/tires. Plus, they're wide, compared to other full-size vehicles. Such as the various Jeep models, my old Nissan Xterra, or my current Toyota 4Runner. See pic, LOL.

Based on my experience in the Southwestern US, nowadays at least half the vehicles on rougher roads are some sort of ATV. Jeep Wranglers, possibly with lots of modifications, are still quite popular. If people are planning any serious four-wheeling but want a pickup truck, they would probably go with the Toyota Tacoma, not a full-size pickup. (Yes, the Ranger is available again, but I've yet to see any out on the dirt.)

FollowupID: 910783

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 17:04

Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 17:04
Hi Candace,

Thanks for the follow up & research. I was interested in a 2500 Series Pickup, either F250 or Chevy Silverado at one stage for their weight carrying and towing capacity. However I think they are too wide for our outback roads & tracks. Also concerned about parts availability in the outback, and their ruggedness, and ability to absorb corrugations and rough conditions.

I have been looking at the latest OKA in a dual cab chassis. If you are not aware, they are an Australian purpose built OffRoad 4 x 4 light truck. They are built in Perth. They now come with an Auto transmission. 4,500 kg GVM, and I think 4,500 kg towing capacity.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910794

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2020 at 06:29

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2020 at 06:29
It's not possible for me to drive those tracks in any car at the moment. They won't let me into the various states. :-)
AnswerID: 633335

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2020 at 23:41

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2020 at 23:41
These European 4WD vans are designed to keep the goods flowing on bitumen roads that have 300mm of snow cover. They are not designed as "off road" vehicles.
None of the roads and tracks that the OP mentions actually needs 4WD.
What they need is a decent suspension and bodywork that does not fall apart.
I don't have any experience with the vehicle in question, but I could confidently say that YES you CAN drive those roads in the Merc (or almost any vehicle), but you may need to do a lot of it at walking speed to keep the vehicle in one piece.
The tyres fitted are of minor concern.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 633357

Sponsored Links