IVECO DAILY

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 08:45
ThreadID: 137685 Views:10165 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I though I'd share this report, actually I have always liked the Iveco but never owned one.. I still have my old trusty 1994 Troopy, maybe if I had seen the Iveco back in 2002 I might have got one, but having said that of course the latest models as in this video would be much more refined..IVECO DAILY 4X4 REVIEW Versus Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:11

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:11
G'day Doug it's been awhile. Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623245

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:23

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:23
Doug, stick with your Troopy, it will still be going at 1,834,000 kms, but the Iveco will be unrepairable due to excessive and constant costs at 300,000 kms.

This bloke has owned one for a while, and runs a very informative blog on the constant Iveco 4x4 problems.

Going Bush

The problem is the Iveco 4x4 is built by the appropriately named Italian aftermarket supplier, SCAM Srl.
SCAM take the standard 2WD Iveco Daily and convert to 4x4 and RHD (if needed) by installing the SCAM-built transfer case, along with a multitude of other modifications.

The problems are - the SCAM transfer case is unreliable, the extra weight imposes loads on the Iveco drivetrain that cause other problems - Iveco and SCAM parts availability is poor - and I can tell you this from personal experience, if you want to see parts pricing rorts, try buying some Iveco parts.

I once had the experience (1997) of buying an alloy thermostat housing for a 6 cyl, 200HP industrial Iveco engine.
The purchase price of that alloy thermostat housing in 1997 was $1,000!!

I have little doubt that Iveco prices haven't changed much - their reliability is still borderline - and the parts backup is still abysmal.
The local Iveco dealers are very good with their support, but they are backing a product with numerous design faults, that neither SCAM nor Iveco will fix.

Toyota are far from perfect, the V8 Landcruiser is not ideal, with its few design faults - but with Toyota, you have backup and parts everywhere - their reliability is highly satisfactory, and their resale value is tops.

The Iveco hasn't made much of an impact on the off-road 4x4 scene, you have to be a real Europhile to buy them and defend them.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 623246

Reply By: David I1 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:53

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:53
The other thing is that the reviewer is a person who has rubbished just about every 4wd there is. He owns/drives/reviews them for a little time then complains about all the things that in his opinion are unsatisfactory. On some matters if he did some research he would find that there have been may solutions found, but he just complains. complains. complains. I too have heard some stories about problems with the Iveco, but if you look at some on line 4wd mags (Unsealed) recently, there is a person who has done the hard yards and found the solutions to the Iveco shortcomings. The good thing about an Iveco is the ground clearance, the vast range of gearing available, the payload and towing capabilities, which leave all common 4wd's well behind. Yes just like a lot of new vehicles, support is not there in the bush, and that is also the case with the newer toyotas. I saw quite a few models waiting for parts on the Canning last year. Unbreakable not. I suggest if you contemplate an Iveco, do your research and find what the problems are and fix them before you head out. It is annoying that they are not there from the get go but solutions (and some are expensive) are available.
AnswerID: 623247

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:47

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:47
Yes correct , owns them, drives them , and reviews with 131,397 subscribers to his YouTube channel more followers than all 4 Adventures ......telling it how it is . Obviously not a paid for comment review ! He has some really good videos on a good range of topics

And if you want to know what Iveco are like .
Ask an owner driver of one of their vehicles / trucks in regards to Spares servicing warranties

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 896413

Follow Up By: David I1 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 17:02

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 17:02
"131,397 subscribers to his YouTube channel more followers than all 4 Adventures" some people are just like sheep! I will leave it at that. I dont think he owns a Iveco. but I could be wrong. But looking at his complaints all the time about havingb to climb into it, I would have thought people buying would know this the very 1st time they climbed in. It does not need to be repeated over and over again. When he owned a Discovery he complained about the tyre size choice and the selectable air height reducing when you get above 45kph. There have been solutions to these "issues" since the vehicle was 1st released. But he just complained. He has been a "fan" of LR when they supplied him cars just like he is/was with Toyota. Soon as they drop him he slags on them.
FollowupID: 896414

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 12:37

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 12:37
A vehicle review done by a guy who did a East - West Simpson Desert crossing and couldn’t understand the fuss about trying to drive up Big Red, because he drove up the Eastern side only....I think i’ll ignore his opinions on things myself...lol. I will add that Big Red is not that big a deal with correct tyre pressures, but the way he carried in his Simpson video whilst having no idea it’s more challenging coming from the opposite direction, was pretty laughable to me....and don’t get me started on his whinging about the flies...lol...though they did appear to be fairly thick in numbers whilst he was there.
AnswerID: 623248

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 13:57

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 13:57
I wrote an article about Ivecos a while back. I met the owners on the CSR.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623249

Follow Up By: PhilD - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 18:45

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 18:45
The truck in the first picture is now owned by a guy on Kangaroo Island and going strong.
FollowupID: 896523

Reply By: CSeaJay - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:26

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:26
Half interesting to watch, but not really a "comparison"
AnswerID: 623252

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:35

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:35
Haaa good to see all the knockers are still lurking... and Hallo Ron, Duncan , etc etc, yeh been a long time, No guys I am not buying one but what I will say is this, IVECO of all sizes are a top class vehicle, so is my old Troopy, but it would have been the scrap metal long ago if I'd driven it like I see some blokes how they treat the pride and joy , so I feel very confident if I did have a IVECO 4X4 and treated it same as old Troopy it'd do a million .. they're like a good woman , treat them with respect and they'll love ya forever....and I guess we could reverse the sexes to keep the ladies happy .....lol
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623253

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 19:28

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 19:28
Doug, it is a shame, that people I know have just left Aussie for more adventures on the other side of the world. They will have a good idea on the small Ivecos as they are really well travelled around the world. They are really well travelled and know many travellers as they go for years at a time.

I should be able to contact them within a month and give you some feedback that has come from many European world travellers using them.

I know they had to put an Iveco center bearing in their Isuzu truck in South America because no parts for the Isuzu in that part of the world.

All the best young fella and Iveco still produce the timeless Inter ACCO.

FollowupID: 896416

Reply By: CSeaJay - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 16:08

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 16:08
This article was an absolute eye opener from what I thought was a user with a balanced view.
http://unsealed4x4.com.au/u4x4/issue057/#35
Very good vehicle but appears to need some serious modifications as a minimum (brakes) and with much less support than Toyota
AnswerID: 623256

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 at 10:22

Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 at 10:22
When will people realise that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' 4X4 for sale anywhere from any manufacturer that does 'all' things and 'ticks' all the boxes ? A Range Rover is 'perfect' from the factory for the h/way but useless as a rock climber , A Unimog is perfect for rock climbing but crap on the h/way ...time to compare apples with apples and comparing a vehicle based on a light truck [Iveco ]to a vehicle designed purely for comfort [ 200 series ] is ridiculous....
AnswerID: 623286

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 20:42
Doug,
I found out a bit of basic info on the Daily 4wd from our traveller friends. The vehicle has done Africa and the South Americas.

Main things were the transfer case would overheat and Iveco dodged the problem completely.

With 37" tyres the brake were not very good at all.

They had electronics problems but didn't go into it.

It kicked like a mule with a flank rope and the seats weren't very flash.

Otherwise it did well with just small problems.

The unit is a few years old so the latest model should have some big improvements over that one, with more problems being ironed out.

One of the biggest problems if going away form the coast is the distance between service centers but that can be negated by club road organisation cover.

Hope you make the right decision for what you require. I think the Troopy would be at the end of her reliable life. I punted an old W925 around for a few years but in the end it just required to much work to keep it on the road.

AnswerID: 623345

Sponsored Links