Reversing camera on caravan

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 21:37
ThreadID: 137660 Views:4659 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a pair of wireless reversing cameras, one of which will go on the back of a little pop top caravan I am building. It will be on continuously, rather than just while reversing, to keep an eye on traffic behind, plus to make it a bit easier when hitching up. I Clearview-style have towing mirrors. The question is: where is the best place to position the camera?
1. On the roof of the van looking partially downwards.
2. Half way up the back of the van
3. At bumper level.
I'd appreciate any opinions from folks who have cameras on their vans.
Cheers
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 22:34

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 22:34
G'day Keith
The wireless camera at the rear of the van has to have power if run all the time, so some supply has to be run to the rear from a suitable source.

I have two wired cameras which can be viewed alternately. Their views just overlap in the middle and you can therefore see around corners a bit with the wide overall view when reversing.
The RHS one, midway up above RH tail light, has it's bottom of screen view at ground level set to a known distance so when reversing you can confidently move up to a visible object at the rear and have safety clearance. It basically faces down but straight rearward and approaching vehicles can be seen before they overtake.

The LHS one is positioned high up on the ridge and therefore you can see the line of the side of the van and to the left somewhat. That allows reverse parallel parking if required which is also handy when reversing into a bay where the vehicle is skewed to the right and mirrors are not able to show where the van's LH rear corner is, relative to gutters and buildings etc.
All personal choice though. What suits me may not be what others want.
AnswerID: 623090

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 23:19

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 23:19
I have a unit wired in which is capable of taking 3 cameras - I have only two fitted at this stage, both powered from the vehicle battery. It was not unduly expensive from memory, but I did have the wiring run through the van chassis at the build stage.
One camera is at roof level on the rear of the van, and gives me all the vision I require for reversing, and is left on constantly for rear view when towing.
The other camera is set above the tow bar to assist in hitching (plus I have the normal reversing camera for the ute).
Cheers,
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623091

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 07:11

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 07:11
The best location is the one that gives you the view you want.

You have wireless so you can move it around and see how it looks in the cabin.
AnswerID: 623092

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 08:20

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 08:20
Up high is best, pointing down a little so it gets less glare. Also, it is up from the water splash off the road a little so will get less dirty.

However, my experience with wireless monitors on the back of a van is that it won't matter where you put it. they are too unreliable at that distance.
AnswerID: 623094

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:51

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:51
I put a wireless camera on the back of our Jayco Penguin just above the spare wheel. The wireless was a little bit unreliable in open country but as long as we were in traffic there was enough reflection around for the signal to get through. About a year later I put roofracks on the Penguin for our kayak so the camera got movedup and hung underneath the rear roofrack rail pointing backwards and at a slight down angle to reduce glare. The camera now had line of sight to the monitor in the tug and the wirless thing worked brilliantly.

If you have a Garmin GPS in the car, Garmin make a wireless camera (BC30) which can have a wireless sender mounted away from the camera. I have a BC30 mounted to the back of the Pajero which looks at the tow hitch and backwards when reversing. I'm now thinking of putting another BC30 on the back of the Jayco Freedom up high and permanently wired; the remote sender for this camera would be mounted in a protected position on the drawbar.
FollowupID: 896239

Reply By: Keith B2 - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 21:47

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 21:47
Thanks everyone. I think I'll mount it high and point it down a little. The existing mirrors work fine for longer distances.
I do appreciate the advice.
Keith
AnswerID: 623109

Sponsored Links