HJ60 1986 diesal wagon cuts out when headlights switched on.

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 16:46
ThreadID: 137551 Views:3238 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All my hj60 developed a intermittent problem of cutting out when the headlights were turned on. This problem was more freaquent when the heater was on. the internal turn indicator lights would flash at the same time.The relayes (heater ignition would buz and the engine would stope). This problem got worse over two years but a I could not get it to fault for an auto electritian until recently. The reson why this was happening was because of an orange link plug in the main wiring loom on the RHS behind the dash panel. It seams the headlight heater wipers etc all go to this plug that only has one earth. Underload the plug mellted and shorted over time with use. This plug was removed (aprox 2cm wide dee photo)and then hard wired and not a problem since. Now I can drive at night again.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Greg J1 - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 18:11

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 18:11
Good on you Paul for finding the problem. That’s an old classic 4WD. I had one for many years.

Would love to see how some of these modern shiny 4wds are performing in 32 years time. Lol.

Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 622604

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 19:23

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 19:23
Fairly common issue, had same thing on a 1974 Celica, most of the power went trough one plug, over time the connectors loose their tension and start to arc. Result as per yours, a charred connector and no power.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 895584

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 22:38

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 22:38
Most modern vehicles have connectors which are sealed fairly well and so the corrosion which causes loss of pin grip and resistance is far less.

The HJ60 diesel would be losing sense voltage to the alt reg and that makes the lights flash.
The oil pressure time out would become low on voltage and turn off the engine, similar to having no oil pressure after startup, ie for 20 secs or so and if no oil pressure detection the timer will shut off the engine. Normally happens if oil pressure doesn't arrive.

I had a HJ61 for 25 years and periodically removed and cleaned likely connectors to prevent similar things happening to the wiring. Maintenance no one ever seems to do.
Even removal and spraying good connectors with a contact cleaner and lanolin on refitting will lengthen the connectorslife span AND keep water and corrosion away.
Most Toyota connectors are smothered with lithium grease on assembly. Pressure washing often destroys the grease and brass worm takes over if left untreated.
FollowupID: 895595

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 22:53

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 22:53
When multiple weird effects occur in the electrical system, it is a safe bet that the cause is a faulty earth connection causing "sneak" current paths.
The big problem is locating such faulty connection, but loom connectors is a good place to start looking.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622608

Sponsored Links