Pajero 2003 3.5 vibrating at 2300rpm

Submitted: Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:02
ThreadID: 136396 Views:4226 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My son has a Pajero 2003. the car runs well but we get a vibration at abt 2300rpm, i have read some articles abt the heavy counter weight bolted to gearbox. Is there any way someone can upload a pic as we dont know much abt these pajeros. Thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:36

Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:36
I have no pics, but these two threads should help you a great deal.

Exploroz - Pajero vibration

Pajero Club - V6 vibration problem

The source of the problem is that all 90 deg V6's without balance shafts, have an inherent harmonic 1st order balance problem.
This has been known since V6's were first built. I can recall the V6 Ford Capri (built '68 to '86) had a harmonic balance problem with the engine at 3000RPM.

Mitsubishi appear to have taken the cheap way out by fitting a harmonic balancer to the output driveshaft on the transfer case.

Many V6 Pajero owners speak of curing the problem by removing the driveshaft "counterweight".
This harmonic balancer apparently has no major benefit - and the vibration problem becomes worse with age.
Mitsubishi apparently removed the drivetrain balancer after 2007.

It's likely they also altered the design or material in the gearbox mountings at the same time, possibly finding that an improved type of mounting eliminated the need for the drivetrain balancer.

Part of your problem would be related to aged and softened gearbox and engine mountings, which you would be well-advised to replace for a start.

It would also pay to check the condition of the harmonic balancer/pulley on the front of the crankshaft of the engine.
Even just front pulley groove wear, may be enough to upset the engine balance at critical engine speeds.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 617504

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 20:53

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 20:53
In the 1st link you posted, they are talking about 2.8L diesels. Not V6 petrols.

You may want to re read the 2nd link that you posted;

"Mitsubishi appear to have taken the cheap way out by fitting a harmonic balancer to the output driveshaft on the transfer case"

That was a proposal very early in the thread that was overshadowed by later posts of the issue being linked to a lack of preventative maintenance.

FollowupID: 889230

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 21:23

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 21:23
Kevin - The original thread starter (Blackass55) never identified what model engine, or model of Pajero, he owned.

It was only much later in the thread, that "Oldplodder" and "Kiwi Kia" mentioned they owned 2.8L engines, and started discussing 2.8L engines.

2nd thread link - the thread starter said he'd removed the driveshaft "big counterweight" (which reduced the vibration), which "worked for me".

So, I don't see where there was any "proposal"?
Mitsubishi had already been fitting the "counterweight" (balancer) - which point, I outlined?

Can't see your points, sorry?

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 889234

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:27

Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:27
Having owned one of these units I encountered the exact problem as you have.
after countless tests and trials of different things including wheel bearings etc. it was found to be the driveshaft, as mine was composite fibreglass.
replaced it and problem was sorted.
enquiry to Mitsubishi on a replacement unit blew me out of the water, so after a few more enquiries I found that bearing supply people are able to supply them and substantially cheaper
cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617505

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 13:28

Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 13:28
I had a transmission problem on my 2002 Pajero under warranty. Eventually I was dealing with Mitshbishi and they sent me to Fluidrive. I was puzzled but they said fluidrive do their complex fixes. Maybe they can help if its transmission related.
AnswerID: 617508

Reply By: swampy - Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 19:21

Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 19:21
Hi ,
90deg v6 have the most problems
Most Japanese v6 engines are not as above but many are 60deg
This improves vibration some what but being a v6 its still afflicted by vibes .
V6 engines have not been a popular choice by car makers for this very reason . The vibes pushed the development of v6 and balance shafts . Amazing that some makes use them more than others !!!
Factory engine balancing is typically rubbish eg big tolerances and does contribute to the vibe issue.

Some makers even use strut bracing to stop/ absorb engine vibration. As u guessed made no noticeable difference !!!

AnswerID: 617517

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:34

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:34
The product below is an excellent cure for any rotating component suffering from vibration problems.

You can fit these devices to virtually anything you can bolt them to.

They can be fitted to aircraft propellors, engines, driveshafts, wheels - the list is endless.

They are particularly good at dampening vibration which occurs at altering frequencies over a range of speeds, because they have the inbuilt ability to actively respond to varying imbalance conditions.

NNF - You might consider fitting one of these to your Pajero driveshaft, in place of the factory balancer - as the factory balancer is obviously very limited in its balancing ability.

BalanceMasters - Active Balancing System

Cheers, Ron.

AnswerID: 617526

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 13:52

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 13:52
Torsional vibes and non concentric vibes, ie wheel out of balance, are two different things.
FollowupID: 889205

Sponsored Links