CorruKs

Submitted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 13:16
ThreadID: 134970 Views:3634 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
New term for distance travelled on outback dirt.

Compared with bitchKs ;-)

I was mulling over outback wear when changing the Anderson housings on the vehicle-trailer charge circuit. The connection came adrift on the last trip. I figure that over lots of corruKs the spring steel plates in the housing that the lugs clip over had begun to fade.

Vibration and stone showers can do it too. That's why I cable tie the ends loosely together. Also have one of those mount boxes with a hinged cap that's supposed to hold a pin on the other housing (like a trailer wiring connection) but that failed.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 17:08

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 17:08
DId the plastic wear too and also the contacts lost their clip over ramp through wear. Can't see the spring clips being affected much. Did it feel slack when plugged in.

Are your anderson plugs in line with stone hail and not held onto the vehicle?

Is CoffeeK's the new term for refreshments during that same drive? TeaK's too?
AnswerID: 611488

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 17:55

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 17:55
Like it.

Yeah, there was some slop in the join. Much more than in the replacement.

No, the mounting box is fixed to the bumper, and not affected by stones.
FollowupID: 881536

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 19:57

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 19:57
Sigmund, were they genuine anderson plugs as mine are years old and haven't had any problems, except for the other day when I pulled the plug out when we were stopped and forgot to put it back in. It didn't like being bounced of the road and the pins were sticking out. The spring steel retainers were fine and I stuck it back in, then changed it for one had on another lead.

My darling wife said I didn't plug it back in, but I am blaming the suicide skippy that bounced of the bullbar and under the vehicle for taking it out, and when I say suicide skippy, this one was really on a mission to self destruct.
AnswerID: 611497

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 20:25

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 20:25
Yeah, once I had the same - ran over a small roo and it popped up at the draw bar dislodging stuff.

These were Narva brand, so not your cheap Chinese knock-offs.

The difference between the old and new in terms of tight fit is enough to justify the swap in my mind. Last winter I did 2500 corruKs so I'll stick with the metal fatigue theory.

I use a Trailervision mounting block and clip lock to resist separation, as well as a cable tie. Have seen them come adrift and the trailer side plug ripped off several times in the past, and paid $30 for a replacement at Yulara.
FollowupID: 881544

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, May 29, 2017 at 08:35

Monday, May 29, 2017 at 08:35
Supercheap do a 50amp 2 pin which has positive locking like a trailer plug.

I have and like Anderson plugs and have a 200amp on the back for a winch , a 50amp inside for my compressor, and little ones for my solar panel and battery charger , but after seeing one come out from the centre track vegetation on a GRR side track and destroy itself, I now think there are better solutions for car to trailer plugs.
I was able to help the bloke as I had a spare for which he was eternally grateful and gave me a bottle of wine which was worth more than the plug! He had no fridge without the plug.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 611502

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, May 29, 2017 at 09:17

Monday, May 29, 2017 at 09:17
Gold!

Yes, I've had the car-trailer connection separate 4 or 5 times now. One of those was catastrophic - producing a dead short in the trailer and melted wiring and a melted battery.

Well, I had three connectors side by side this morning: a new original Anderson, the old Narva and a new S&D branded job.

The Anderson clips stand way taller in the housing than either of the other two. (Of course there are other variables affecting the tightness of fit). And just feeling the pressure required to depress the the plate, the Narvas feel weak - but that could just be confirmation bias. I may get out a fish scale and try to measure the force.

So what are the alternatives Phil?

FollowupID: 881550

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, May 29, 2017 at 13:07

Monday, May 29, 2017 at 13:07
As I said at the start of the post, Supercheap do a 50amp 2 pin that has a flap that locks it in place like a trailer plug. If I needed more connectors to my camper trailer that is what I would get.
Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 881556

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, May 29, 2017 at 13:43

Monday, May 29, 2017 at 13:43
Thanks.

Wish I'd seen these a couple of days ago; would've gone this route rather than replacing with like.

For others, this is what I think Phil is talking about:

Socket
Plug

FollowupID: 881557

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, May 29, 2017 at 15:30

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, May 29, 2017 at 16:26

Monday, May 29, 2017 at 16:26
There are cheap Asian "Anderson" knock-offs.
Then there are "quality?" "Anderson" copies from such as Narva.
Then there are genuine Andersons from
Anderson Connect Australia.

I only use the genuine Andersons. I have seen enough copies that failed in performance. The most common fault being failure of the plastic housing by cracking or deformation resulting in lessening of the contact pressure.

For connections at the rear to trailers I use the Anderson Weather-Proof Cover Kit which incorporates positive locking and weather-proof cable glands.

Sure, you can purchase cheaper than genuine Anderson, but is it worth the risk?
From some comments above I think it is not.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611509

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 11:46

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 11:46
I've had Andersons separate too.

It's a design issue. In rough conditions we're asking too much of the join, even with something like the Trailervision mount.
FollowupID: 881575

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:40

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:40
You must be a rough player Sigmund.

Maybe with "something LIKE the Trailervision mount" but not with the genuine
'Trailer Vision Anderson Plug SB50 Weather Proof Cover - Kit'. They positively lock together.
Have you actually examined one?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 881576

Sponsored Links