Hugh River Stock Route NT

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 20, 2024 at 18:01
ThreadID: 146831 Views:1348 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I am doing a itinerary for my NT for later in the year. I intend to go to Chambers Pillar via the old Ghan road. From there want to get to Kings Canyon vis Erldunda Roadhouse etc.

the best way (maybe) is drive along the Hugh River Stock Route to Sturt Wells Roadhouse.

Guess what I need to know if the stock route is OK as I will be towing my 19' Sunland.

Alternatively do I need to go the Alice and drive back to Hermannsburg.

Some information would be great if anyone has any. Any alternative suggestions would also be appreciated.

regards

Pig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jan 20, 2024 at 23:16

Saturday, Jan 20, 2024 at 23:16
The Hugh River Stock Route is/was a much better drive than the Alice-Finke road last time we drove it (which was a while back). Just keep an eye on the route as you cross the rail line.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645125

Follow Up By: Member - Pig - Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 18:27

Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 18:27
thank you Peter and Margaret.
Would be unlucky to come across a train at the crossing, or lucky if you are a train spotter.
FollowupID: 925387

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 19:50

Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 19:50
I was meaning that there is opportunity to make a wrong turn in the area of the rail crossing.
Keep an eye on the map and where you are heading.

There is a track on the west side of the railway that goes directly to Rainbow Valley that some tour operators use, but it is private property and it should not be used without permission. In fact I think the gate is locked.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
FollowupID: 925388

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Jan 22, 2024 at 07:07

Monday, Jan 22, 2024 at 07:07
Hi Guys,

20 years ago we travelled from Rainbow Valley through to the Finke/Ghan Road on that track. The gates were not locked back then, and the track between Rainbow Valley and the railway line had a few overhanging tree branches back then. It did not look all that well travelled, not sure what it would be like now. We were not towing a caravan back then.

Also, you do not need to go as far South as Erldunda in order to get to the Luritja Road to Kings Canyon. You can take Ernest Giles Road, it is about 60 kms south along the Stuart highway from the Rainbow Valley road. It can be a little corrugated and has a couple of sandy patches, but we drove this road towing our 2.6 Tonne Off Road Caravan a few years ago.

The road out to Chambers Pillar from Maryvale Station is reasonable. There is one jump up that can be quite challenging, particularly towing a caravan. We did it in 2016 towing our van, 76 Series Landcruiser, low range 2nd gear got us over each way. Make sure you have everything securely packed in the van, as it will “rock and roll” on the jump up. There are also some sand dunes as you get closer to the Pillar.

If you get yourself a Hema Road & 4WD Atlas, it has these roads clearly marked. It is not cheap, but we’ll worth the money. It is particularly useful when planning road trips, as it also has camp grounds, rest stops and point of interest marked as well.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925393

Follow Up By: Member - Pig - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 13:24

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 13:24
Hi Peter, was being a smart ass about the train but it would be great to see it. Not a train spotter but would still be great to see way out in the bush.

Macca
Thank you also for your info, have a Hema 4X4 book of maps + ExplorOz app.

this Forum is so helpful someone has been to anywhere you ask about. so great.

Pig
FollowupID: 925396

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 15:18

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 15:18
Since we are off topic, we did see the Ghan at Coward Springs in 1970, then that night we were woken by another while sleeping without realising the track was very close. Frightened the living daylights out of us.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925398

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 12:08

Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 12:08
Hi if its an off-road van no problem, those pictures are a few years old now and don't do the one steep incline justice was a few deep potholes to avoid on it.

On the way in over the UHF we heard a couple of vehicles on the way out towing, calling it the hill from hell! wife hearing this was in panic mode then lol,
The hill wasn't all that bad, plus a few sand dunes to traverse, with the correct Tyre pressure, won't be a problem the rest of the rd. was reasonably well graded at the time., just call ahead on the UHF for anyone coming the other way.

Time constraints I thought it would be quicker to drive back down the Stuart hwy to the Hugh River stock route rather than going the old Ghan wish I had done the latter to say I did it!
plus, it turns out to be a rather long day ,even though its 100klm or so to the Hugh River Sock route turn off .
From the Stuart HWY look for the sign that says Maryvale! not the Hugh River Sock route, as someone did driving past for 8 klm looking for it!

Cheers Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645127

Reply By: Member - Pig - Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 18:24

Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 18:24
Thanks for info Rob. I believed that low range should be ok, if not wait for someone to give me a hand. I will make sure I have several days food and water.

I have never been out there so coming from Sydney via Oonadatta to Dalhousie Springs, Mt Dare and Finke to Chambers Pillars.
I wanted a way across to Kings Canyon without going way out of our way via Alice etc.

Looking forward to The NT trek with the CFO (wife Kez) and a few mates I hope will be joining us.

Once again thank you
AnswerID: 645129

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 20:06

Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 20:06
Pig an alternative route once you get to the stuart hwy to Kings cannon would be along the Ernest Giles Road lot more interesting than the bitumen by a long shot .

Were you going from finke to chamber Pillar via the old Ghan road / track , you might find that rough & challenging .

P.s what time of the year are you travelling,
June is a very busy time there with the FDR?
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 925390

Follow Up By: Member - Pig - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 13:17

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 13:17
Hi Nick.
Leaving Sydney mid July so should be in that area around the end of July. Driving straight to Oonadatta as have done Cameron's Cnr, Strzelecki, Maree a few times.
The mighty Disco 4 and the Sunland van should be ok.
I did the road from Hells gate to Borroloola last year and that was very tough.
thank for the heads up on the Ernest Giles road, had put the into my directions.
Staying off the main road if possibe, Intend to also go the Buchanan Highway to Top Spring, Victoria River and Timber creek.
Thought I heard Timer Creek go over 400 mm of rain in a very short time.

Anyway looking forward to the adventure.
pig
FollowupID: 925395

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 18:31
Pig . The Ernest Giles Road used to be one of my favorite roads when I lived in Alice Springs and traveled it many times . not used much I think these days ?
The finke dessert race is on in June Queen birthday weekend so you will miss all that but you you might want to come back for that another time . The Buchanan hwy is a great track , from the stuart hwy flat road to top springs (don't camp out side the hotel , inside only or to the west vic river ) top springs to timber creek is a great drive with some good camping spots , it can be undulating and slow going in places.
Sounds like your in for a fantastic trip good luck on your travels .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 925400

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 19:57

Sunday, Jan 21, 2024 at 19:57
Hey pig ..the hugh river stock route was done up in the last few years & is a good road these days. You will have no problems towing a van as peter said a bit of care when you cross the train line . The hugh river is a very beautiful spot if your looking for a camp .
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 645131

Follow Up By: Member - Pig - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 13:29

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 13:29
Hi Nick
where on the Hugh river do you mean, near Owen Springs?
Always looking for great camp spots in the bush
FollowupID: 925397

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 18:04

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2024 at 18:04
Pig . Not owen spring station . when you cross the train line on the Hugh River Stock Route the hugh river is not far away on the Eastern side of the train line and is a very beautiful spot and would be great to camp there . If you have a look on Google satellite maps you will get an idea of the area you may also notice some Aboriginal camps /Communities in this area as well .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 925399

Sponsored Links