Nuytsland Reserve (West from Eyre Bird Observatory to Bilbuna Dunes)

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 14:08
ThreadID: 148070 Views:1642 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the above section of the Telepgrah Track is typically sandy or limestone.. travelling solo in a few days and keen to explore the Telegraph Track section west from Eyre to the point where the beach sections begin at which point I'll be heading out to the Highway on the Eyre/Baxter Road

I know its been wet this year and I'm looking to understand if this may rule out doing this track..well equipped, but always cautious solo.

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff Y1 - Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 18:06

Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 18:06
G'day Duncan,
I was at EBO on a motorcycle in early May. The old telegraph line heading west from the EBO access road was flooded at the 5km point.
The track from Cocklebiddy to Twighlight Cove was also flooded.
The EBO Caretakers or Cocklebiddy staff may be able to provide an update.
Regards, Geoff.
AnswerID: 646252

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 18:31

Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 18:31
OK thats interesting thanks! I could be making a lot of this trip up as I go then :)
FollowupID: 926738

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 18:46

Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 18:46
My first trip south from the Eyre Highway to the western end of the cliffs a decade ago was after a bit of rain.
My memory tells me that I was thinking then "this would be dodgy after a lot of rain."
Two years ago the track out from Toolina Cove was very sandy and cut up.
I had the same thought.
They have had a lot of rain this year! The country along the Eyre Highway in April and May looked like farmland.
Even if the Telegraph Track is rocky but passable the roads out might be tricky.
Good luck with it, the cliffs are a special place.

Cheers
AnswerID: 646253

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 06:00

Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 06:00
We did that track in June 2018, Duncan.
Went south from Cocklebiddy to Twilight Cove, camped the night there & in morning, walked out to the beach. Then headed off on Tele Track. Camped next night at junction of Baxter Cliffs track, after driving out to the cliffs. Windy as, out there!
Continued on to Wylie Scarp & camped at a “campground” at the back of the beach. Rubbish everywhere!
Rained overnight, & next day drove down the beach past Bilbunya Dunes, to Israelite Bay, then onto Esperance, late that day.
Recall there was at least 2 tracks exiting the Tele Track north. One at Baxter Cliffs & the other before getting to Wylie Scarp?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646258

Sponsored Links