ExplorOz Traveller Version 9 - Now in Beta

Join the ExplorOz Traveller Beta Testing for Version 9! We've completed extensive alpha testing using our test devices and simulators, and now we need your help for real-life testing, especially on Android. We need testers for outdoor activities like driving and planning tests to double-check all the new features on various devices.

Important: If you can't test and provide feedback within the next few days, please wait for the public release. We're confident it won't be long before a full rollout to all users.

Join our Beta Program
Apple: Test Flight for iOS
Android: Open Testing Google
Web App: option available for using Beta v9 or existing v8.7.3

********VERSION 9****WHAT'S NEW?*****
NEW SETUP WIZARD
A new, user-friendly wizard with logical flow, next buttons, more onscreen help, and easier navigation. To test this, clear Settings which simulates a new download and will present the new Wizard.

NEW FOLDER SYSTEM
New Folder Button: Located at the top right of the app, next to the search icon. Use this to access all your folders.
Folder Groups - Assign existing folders to a new group by adding a group name and selecting subfolders. Tap the tick to complete the change.
Folder Sort: Reorder folders and groups by tapping, holding, dragging, and dropping to reorder subfolders within a group and reorder all groups and folders.

NEW SEARCH
The search icon now opens a single search function that searches through app content in the Places, Treks, and Track Logs database. If no result is found, it will display an address lookup. The old Data Menu is gone, and this new search is much better!

NEW FILTERS
Filters can be applied to content search lists and map layers. New filters allow you to separate public (ExplorOz) content from your "Personal" content and separate your Track Logs from Shared Track Logs.

ROAD NAMES ON MAP SCREEN
When the map is centered/locked on your location, the current road/track name (plus any cross roads) is displayed at the top centre of your map. When panning the map (disabling GPS lock), the road name correlates to the location at the cross-hair position. This feature is customizable in Settings > Map Screen > Show Road Names.

SPEED LIMITS
A new feature that is on by default but can be turned off in Settings > Map Screen > Show Road Max Speed. When the map is locked to your location, the speed limit symbol appears at the top left. It’s available for the 2023 and 2024 EOTopo maps both online and offline but not for the 2021 edition.
Exceed Speed Limit Warning - a subtle flash/pulse of the icon (no audible warning).

NEW NAVIGATION COLOUR SETTINGS
Current Leg Colour (Default: cyan)
Next Leg Colour (Default: darkviolet)

The active route line now allows you to see if the road is dashed (unsealed) or solid (sealed) through "opaque routing lines." You can change these colors in the settings.

NEW PLACE CLUSTER SETTING
Adjust the zoom level at which clusters open to show individual place icons. This setting is customizable in Settings > EOTopo > Cluster Separation.

CHANGES TO PLACE TYPES
To reduce clutter and improve performance on the map screen at lower zoom levels, we've removed the Place bubble for about 35,000 entries - specifically these were "Place Name," "Suburbs," and "Station/Homestead" that didn't have photos or were not tagged as tourist attractions. These still appear as subtle blue dots with text labels and can be updated through Place administration if necessary.

CHANGE STYLE FOR TREKS & TRACK LOGS ON MAPS
The line style for Treks and Track Logs follows the same concept as the new navigation routing lines - ensuring better visibility of the base map road/track data.

BUG FIXES
- version update store link for Android
- version upgrade message continually reappearing
- treks not routing from left swipe route action
- positions stop syncing after iOS Status Post with multi images
- track logs multi segment elevation profile
- adjusted the Date selection tool in the Export Positions window.

This update also ensures compliance with Google's latest API policies.

Hope you like it!
Regards Michelle

PS: There are a couple of videos from our testing that were added to the ExplorOz Traveller Community Group on Facebook yesterday.

EDIT: Thursday 25/7/24 here is a video demonstration of some of the main new features too
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Travelling fulltime in 2024

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 06:15

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 06:15
This is a superb list of improvements.. very much looking forward to this. Heading off on a trip this weekend so I am not going to destabilise my main tablet but I'll get it running on my back up Android device tonight.

The marker clustering change sounds great!

The folder changes also sound very cool... if you're doing any work on the Website in future I'd love to be able to add places to my folders from the website without needing to be within the App.

Well done on getting it to Beta!
AnswerID: 646242

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 11:53

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 11:53
As always Duncan, thank you for your positive responses and support for our product and developments. It is much appreciated after MONTHS of hard work to finally get to this point. It's been a huge task but brings together lots of things we know will improve the user experience.

We are keeping app features separate to the website so please use the webapp for adding Places to your folders.

Enjoy your trip!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926730

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 11:48

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 11:48
UPDATE: Wed 9:45am
Google have unexpectedly not yet released beta v9 to Google Open Test so Android users please be patient - what you are seeing is the existing June version of v8.x

For Apple Test flight (beta program) we have had 16 downloads of v9.

There is no Windows test program as such but we have published v9 beta as an option in the Web app - if you are an ExplorOz Member, tap your Account button (top right of website) - select "Traveller Control Panel" - then you'll see 2 web app versions - the current v8.7.3 and the beta v9.

Regards Michelle

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 646243

Reply By: Member - Joe V2 - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 15:31
Hi David/Michelle
I have only played around with the Web App, (not the Beta version) and I'm impressed with the number of proposed improvements, however I'm not a real fan of the "opaque routing lines", I'd much rather see a solid colour to get a greater defined contrast . New navigation colour selection is great. Could a switch be incorporated to select between opaque and solid?
AnswerID: 646244

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 15:45

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2024 at 15:45
Too early to suggest you're not a fan until you actually use it for active navigation Joe ;) There has been a very good user-case for this and it does seem to work very well - you'll be surprised. Keep an open mind and so will we - we always can improve/tweak in future updates based on feedback.
Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926731

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 11:36

Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 11:36
Quick update on the Beta.

There is an issue with the Export Positions function in the Beta - it has been fixed but we will hold off this minor update 9.0.1 till we have a few more days in Beta to pick up any other issues.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 646251

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 19:18

Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 19:18
I've just editted the main post to include a video demonstration/tutorial showing the main new features and how to quickly move around using. Take a look.

Regards Michelle

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 646255

Reply By: Member - Joe V2 - Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 21:34

Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 21:34
Version 9 Map Layers (Web)
Hi Michelle
When I turn off all Folders, turn off all Places and turn on Treks, Treks cannot be selected on the Map screen. However, if I turn on either Places or Folders, Treks are selectable on the Map screen.

With Ver 8.7.3 Treks are selectable either way.
AnswerID: 646257

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 22:05

Thursday, Jul 25, 2024 at 22:05
Excellent test and timely feedback thankyou Joe

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926739

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 18:54

Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 18:54
Thanks for the feedback I can confirm this is resolved in 9.0.1 which will come out in a few days time. I want to allow more testing on the current beta.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926742

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Aug 01, 2024 at 19:20

Thursday, Aug 01, 2024 at 19:20
Hello Beta Interested People,

I have just published 9.0.2 to the Beta and test channels including the web app. We have added a new terms of use/privacy page in the main menu and a few minor tweaks and UI fixes. Fairly certain this will be the release version.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 646279

Sponsored Links