Toowoomba to Blue Mountians

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 21, 2024 at 11:21
ThreadID: 148045 Views:1082 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
Just wanting to do a trip from Toowoomba to the lower blue mountains. Doing 4x4 tracks & camping seeing more of this wounderful country

Any advice and routes would be great
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Jul 22, 2024 at 13:14

Monday, Jul 22, 2024 at 13:14
GavVic
You need to provide more details to get responses, such as ......
How long you are allocating for trip down&back?
Do you want coastal or inland route?
When are you intending travelling?
What type of vehicle and are you towing?

AnswerID: 646235

Follow Up By: GavVic - Saturday, Jul 27, 2024 at 17:57

Saturday, Jul 27, 2024 at 17:57
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the Advice
Thinking of 8 to 10 days
Inland route. I got the idea from 4WD 24/7 doing "The best road trip in Australia"
Part 1 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9OSwScmBXc&t=1s
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjATZzE9AVw&t=54s
It would be in December School Holidays
Dmax Xterain 2024 with AT tyres - Not towing just carrying a tent etc

FollowupID: 926743

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Jul 22, 2024 at 15:02

Monday, Jul 22, 2024 at 15:02
Northern Tablelands ( New England) have plenty of lovely places to see and camp. Also some decent 4wd tracks , I believe.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646236

Reply By: Member - Happy Explorer - Sunday, Jul 28, 2024 at 07:03

Sunday, Jul 28, 2024 at 07:03
Hi GavVic
We live in Toowoomba and travel to the Hunter Valley a few times a year to visit family. While my wife is happy to hook down the New England H/way and get there quickly, I much prefer to stay away from major highways and poke around the back blocks. One issue you have in that area is that most of the connecting roads run largely East/West so one ends up zig zagging back and forth between the coast and the New England area.
1. A popular option for us through is the Fossicker's Way which is a good compromise with some good stop over spots. We have spent time free camping at Texas and Bingara and other places along the way. Fond memories but not strictly meeting your 4wd criteria.
2. Lions Rd crossing the Qld NSW boarder is a nice area which can then link to the Mann River and Clarence River (Clarence Way) further south. Lots of great country in there to explore and can certainly satisfy your 4wd desires. In fact you could easily spend 10 days around the boarder ranges alone if you wanted.
3. All those E/W connecting roads such as Summerland Way, Bruxner H/way, Gwydir H/way, Waterfall Way, Oxley H/way, Thunderbolts Way/Barrington Tops area are well worth a drive.
Putty Rd from Singleton area to N/W Sydney is a good drive. We did the Putty Rd in Dec/Jan one year and I remember it was hot, in fact very hot. Lots of interesting little towns to stop in and explore though.

So you could head down through the boarder ranges and follow the Mann R/Clarence R south and S/E on Thunderbolts way through Barrington Tops to Gloucester/Singleton area. Then south down Putty Rd skirting around the west of Sydney into the Blue Mts. I think you would be wishing you had more than 10 days as there is so much to explore in all that.

Ha ha, I think I have just planned myself my next trip south. Done pretty much all of it but so many camping spots and different roads to explore. Unfortunately our next trip south will be a one day dash to Scone probably down the Fossickers Way to pick up our van which we left there last trip (that is another story). We will spend a month there for the arrival of grand child #13 then head south to Tasmania for maybe six months. No return ticket booked yet.

Whichever way you go, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Take care
Roy G.
AnswerID: 646264

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jul 28, 2024 at 19:34

Sunday, Jul 28, 2024 at 19:34
"No return ticket booked yet"

That's a big mistake. I suggest you start planning the return tonight with at least a quick look at what is available now.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926746

Follow Up By: Member - Happy Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2024 at 20:14

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2024 at 20:14
Thanks Peter, that was good advice.
We have now booked for an April return. Just about spot on what we wanted but yes, not a lot of options left.
Again thanks
Roy G
FollowupID: 926765

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2024 at 22:48

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2024 at 22:48
You are now guaranteed to get back when you wish to. Ten years ago we were down there. The trip was not as popular as it is now, vanners were going down in the new year, expecting to return before winter. The big problem is you have the locals flooding across to migrate north for the winter. They would have booked before Christmas. They would have taken the northbound bookings that the northerners had left vacant. Those without return bookings could not get bookings before October.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926767

Sponsored Links