Franz oil filters

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2024 at 16:25
ThreadID: 148036 Views:1319 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
Does anyone please if Franz bypass oil filters are still made/available ??
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Jul 18, 2024 at 18:54

Thursday, Jul 18, 2024 at 18:54
Don't know but when I was researching bypass filters and few yrs ago there was a fellow I think in that had his version of them called Jackmaster and also Amsoil are supposed to be very good.
AnswerID: 646221

Follow Up By: Brian J10 - Thursday, Jul 18, 2024 at 19:39

Thursday, Jul 18, 2024 at 19:39
Thanks Batts for your reply , last one i used was from a firm in Perth but rubber ring that sealed top top failed and oil went everywhere , whether it was incorrectly fitted is hard to say but like the concept but didnt want that to happen again so i blanked it off . Hoping to find a better version somewhere ?
FollowupID: 926717

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Jul 18, 2024 at 21:45

Thursday, Jul 18, 2024 at 21:45
Brian.
Don't know if they are but:
Do you have faith a bypass filter does much at all? I don't like the idea of bleeding off oil from the lube oil supply in an engine UNLESS it is designed to be like that. Many do have centrifugal filters which remove contaminants from the flow. When oil is hot it is it's thinnest and I want all possible oil to be supplied to the engine bearings. A bit essential to me. If possible, a larger volume filter than OE could be fitted, ie with same features, and filter more effectively taking advantage of slower speed of oil passing the filter medium. For example, the earlier Dmax has a filter TWICE the capacity later models are fitted with.
An additional arrangement only provides more failure/leakage points.
AnswerID: 646222

Reply By: Mikee5 - Friday, Jul 19, 2024 at 07:46

Friday, Jul 19, 2024 at 07:46
I have the KleenOil version fitted to my 1HZ, I buy my filters in bulk from Jackmaster. For what it’s worth I did have a leak once from the lid, but it was because the seal had moved during fitting, all my fault but messy!
AnswerID: 646223

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Jul 19, 2024 at 09:38

Friday, Jul 19, 2024 at 09:38
Can't help with the Franz but I'm using Jackmaster bypass filter too and it does keep the oil clean for a lot longer. Normally after 2000K's my diesels sump oil black with lots of carbon depostits in it, with the Jackmaster the oil is still clean. I fitted the filter as we often do trips over 10000K's and even after 10000K's the oil is still much cleaner than after 5000K's without the Jackmaster fitted and saves having to do oil changes till I return home.

Yes more complicated and more points of failure but I haven't had any issue with the system apart from a small leak once but that was my fault, didn't do the cover nut up tight enough.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646224

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jul 22, 2024 at 00:16

Monday, Jul 22, 2024 at 00:16
Yes, the Franz bypass oil filters are still being manufactured - but I don't know of anyone in Australia stocking or selling them. You would have to try and get one from the U.S.

In 2014, Franz Filters was purchased by Lubrication Specialities - and LS have continued to manufacture Franz bypass filters. The website below has all the details.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/product-category/frantz-filters/

Jackmaster bypass filters are readily available from a number of resellers, even eBay.

Parker-Racor manufacture a bypass oil filter, but I'm not sure you can fit toilet rolls in it, they want you to use their proprietary line of filter elements - which look just like toilet rolls.
The filter manufacturers all claim toilet rolls are unsatisfactory, but people have been using toilet rolls for bypass oil filtering for 40 or 50 years with highly satisfactory results.

https://enginecare.com.au/products/oil-filtration/racor-absolute-series-bypass-oil-cleaners/

There have been other locally-made copies of the Franz filter, but they have all died out, AFAIK.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 646234

Sponsored Links