Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2024 at 18:34

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2024 at 18:34
I always use channel 40 unless there are signs saying to usea different channel.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646182

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2024 at 18:53

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2024 at 18:53
It is "traditional" for 4WDers (and National Parks) to use Channel 10.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 646183

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2024 at 19:31

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2024 at 19:31
Channel 40 is the travel channel. All other channels tend to be specific to the station or parks vehicles and are only really needed for emergencies. 99.9% of 4x4, trucks and road equipment will be on 40
AnswerID: 646185

Reply By: Genny - Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 02:49

Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 02:49
UHF Channels
AnswerID: 646188

Reply By: Tony W - Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 06:28

Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 06:28
Unfortunately, there is no real standard; Many people just use whatever channel they were on last time the UHF was powered up.

My advice is to leave your UHF on the scan and make sure you have one with a fast scan speed. Nothing comes close to a GME XME, which can get through all 77 channels in just over a second.

The Ranger uses channel 16.
AnswerID: 646189

Follow Up By: Briste - Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 09:12

Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 09:12
My GME XRS has a priority scan mode, which enables me to select which channels to scan. So I set 40 as the priority channel, which is always monitored and has priority if there's a transmission on it, and then also scan 10, 11, 18, 29 & 30 as well. Doing a full scan of all channels picks up too much. I may change the priority channel in some situations, e.g the Pacific Hwy.
FollowupID: 926684

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 11:51

Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 11:51
"Unfortunately, there is no real standard;"

There is a standard, you will find it in the Radiocommunications (Citizen Band Radio Stations) Class Licence 2015 . That is the licence that allows you to operate your CB. Apart from the channel frequency tables, the conditions are set out in sentences and not tables (you have to read them to understand them.) They are not as extensive as the ones in the table supplied above by Genny. If anyone is misbehaving, the class licence is the authority that an inspector will use as the law. He will not be referring to any of the other colloquial listings.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926690

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 12:35

Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 12:35
"My GME XRS has a priority scan mode,"

Good advice in that followup. You will find many of the other types of CB radio have the 'priority scan' labelled as 'group scan.' Follow the instructions that came with your radio to load the required channels into the group/priority scan and use that to monitor your required channels. That will cut out all the clutter that may appear if you use the open scan instead.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926691

Follow Up By: Tony W - Friday, Jul 12, 2024 at 06:55

Friday, Jul 12, 2024 at 06:55
If you are going to be pedantic, yes, there are operational and technical standards, including the use of the emergency and data channels defined in the acts—like any radio or spectrum use, of course.

But in relation to this topic, there are no standards in place that can be relied on regarding channel use, other than some informal conventions that are generally not adhered to, or are conflicting / regional. It's the wild west in relation finding and communicating with others on the 77 channels. Unfortunatley Group Can is a poor attempt to pre-emptively guess which channels are being used at best, a result of old technology with slow scanning.

Most people don't even know how to use their UHF beyond PTT and volume for communicating between a few cars in a group.

UHF CB users should have a level of training, and proficiency licencing to make it more useful.

FollowupID: 926694

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Jul 12, 2024 at 11:24

Friday, Jul 12, 2024 at 11:24
That would cost a lot to set up and where would the licensing be done ? It's a bit late when coms radios have been around for a very long time it will never happen.
I would rather they taught people how to use a roundabout correctly.
FollowupID: 926695

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jul 12, 2024 at 14:03

Friday, Jul 12, 2024 at 14:03
"If you are going to be pedantic,"

It's not just a case of being pedantic. Where you are dealing equipment that has commonwealth or state legislation involved, it is a case of being accurate with your information. I gave the link to find the legislation. If you read through that class license, you will find which of the things in the list in Genny's link are just gentlemens agreements and which are covered by "real standards". The items that are governed by the CB class license must be adhered to and may be subject to prosecution if you don't adhere to them.

Treating the subject with the term "there is no real standard" shows you have no respect for the law and is giving bat advice to your fellow forum members.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926696

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jul 13, 2024 at 07:51

Saturday, Jul 13, 2024 at 07:51
Hi Batts,

Going back to the 1980’s, you were actually required to have a license for a CB Radio. Although it wasn’t “policed” very well, and was soon abolished, I had one. You were also meant to announce your call sign (license number) when transmitting.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926698

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jul 13, 2024 at 09:17

Saturday, Jul 13, 2024 at 09:17
I also had a license in the 80's same as other mates did. There was that fear put out there be it real or a myth of the odd blitz on licence checks, if caught unlicenced even with the hand piece unplugged and hiding it made no difference to the law.
But in all the years of owning radios I have never actually bothered to look up and read any of the legislations to do with using one and never had any issues just talking to people. The one thing I do know is you legally can't have any more than 2 aerials on the front of your vehicle that includes your am/fm radio.
FollowupID: 926699

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 08:19

Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 08:19
Batts,

I am not sure about any restrictions with regard to the number of antennas you can have. There are a number of people that have both a UHF Radio and a HF Radio s well as an AM/FM Radio in their vehicle. There are restrictions with regard to the placement of the antenna, but I am not sure about the number.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926700

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 09:11

Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 09:11
" The one thing I do know is you legally can't have any more than 2 aerials on the front of your vehicle that includes your am/fm radio."

That's a new one to me as well. Please supply the legislation that makes that limitation. The only legislation I know of just limits the diameter of any antenna to 50 mm.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926701

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 12:27

Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 12:27
PeterD It's 40mm in Victoria and not just an Antenna. Lot of tradies get done for hurdles mounted on there bullbar
FollowupID: 926702

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Jul 15, 2024 at 08:53

Monday, Jul 15, 2024 at 08:53
It was yrs ago I read something about the number of aerials on the front of a vehicle being no more than 2. It may have even just been someone's recommendation and I got it mixed up over the yrs and took it as a rule.
FollowupID: 926703

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 12:39

Thursday, Jul 11, 2024 at 12:39
Hi Graeme,
Yes there are signs saying to use Ch 12. We were there 2 years ago and documented that into the relevant Places but you'll see it posted where you stop at the registration and air down point. From there its not far to the start of the sand dune area. At the bottom of the first hill is the point in the attached Place where you'll see a sign to advise Ch 12.

You definitely want to call ahead before you begin going up that first hill. On our trip in, and back out we came across oncoming traffic. If you go in late afternoon you are less likely to meet oncoming traffic because people leave camp in the morning and its a long trip however there could be the odd day tripper returning so you can't be too blaise. The biggest potential for an oncoming issue is someone towing a big boat - usually in convoy with mates - can get tricky. The dune area is beautiful but narrow and not a challenging drive if you have sand driving experience and your vehicle is setup for sand driving and you've let down tyres etc you then don't have an issue at low speed/stopped to back up, veer off etc to let someone pass.

Hope you have great weather - its the best part of coastal Australia you could ever experience (when the weather is good).
Michelle

PS EDIT: the Parks website also states that the Ranger contact is Ch16. https://www.sharkbay.org/place/edel-land-steep-point/contacts/

We came across the Ranger on our way in coming down a hill with a blind corner and around came a vehicle driving fast head on, we all came to a huge skid stop. He was very apologetic. He said he has to do the run out daily (no weight). Not sure if that is still the case. But just a heads up vigilant. We used a sand flag but not many do.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Travelling fulltime in 2024

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646190

Reply By: Graeme11 - Friday, Jul 12, 2024 at 11:14

Friday, Jul 12, 2024 at 11:14
thanks everyone for your replies and helpful information.

Graeme
AnswerID: 646191

Reply By: Ian G - Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 22:48

Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 22:48
Hi Graeme,
If it is your 1st time to Steep Point, you may find this helpful. We overnighted at Hamelin Station.
Regards,
Ian

Hi,
We did the drive to Steep Point today, (Fri 5/6/2022) and the following may be of interest if anyone asks the Office staff about it.
We had a stock standard 2020 Toyota Landcruiser V8 diesel auto.
We left at 8.30am and got back at 6.00pm.
We tend to “smell the roses” but you would need to allow at least 8 hours at a minimum.
The road is corrugated!!!
There are a number of new long drop toilets out at Steep Point and the various camping areas but nothing until you get there.
There is effectively no mobile service for the whole trip. You may fluke one bar at Steep Point itself but can’t rely on it.
You will need to have an air compressor to re inflate your tyres for the return trip.
DO NOT ATTEMPT THE TRIP IF YOU CAN’T LET YOUR TYRES DOWN AND RE INFLATE THEM.
YOU WILL GET BOGGED, IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE TO BE RECOVERED AND YOU CAUSE UNNECESSARY DAMAGE TO THE GRAVEL ROAD!!
If you have a uhf or phone antenna on your vehicle, wrap some electrical tape around where the antenna screws in or has any joins.
We stopped for morning tea (at the pay station), lunch (at Steep Point) and afternoon tea (at the pay station again)
The trip, with excursions to Thunder Bay, The Blowholes, Nord 6 monument and, of course Steep Point itself, was approx 350 km.
Be mindful of your fuel consumption as you will be in 4WD and soft sand. This could increase your consumption by up to 30%.
It is highly recommended to reduce your tyre pressures to around 24 psi (165kPa or 1.65 bar) to 26 psi (180kPA or 1.8bar) as soon as you leave the bitumen on the Useless Loop Rd. This gives a much smoother ride, is kinder to your vehicle and helps prevent damage to the road surface.
The road is corrugated!
At this stage, 2 wheel drive or high range 4 is ok
There is a small, approx 5 km, length of bitumen road amongst the corrugations and if you have locked your hubs in, you may need to unlock them until you get back on the gravel.
If so, remember to lock them in again.
When you reach the paystation, it is essential to stop and reduce your tyre pressure to, at most, 20 psi.(138kPa or 1.38 bar)
If not already in high range 4 wheel drive, do so now.
If this requires hubs to be locked, do so now.
When you reach the “T” intersection, you turn left (road to the right is locked gate and no entry) and this is the start of the real requirement for high clearance and 4 wheel drive.
No real need for low range unless you think you need it.
High range 4 wheel drive and 3rd or 4th gear (held in an auto - not sure in a manual - long time since I have driven one!!)
Keep your wits about you as it is a narrow, undulating, winding road with limited forward visibility.
Keep your speed down as the sand bumps, especially as you have low tyre pressures, will cause the vehicle to wallow.
Also avoid any sharp turns(again because of the low tyre pressures).
We did not go to False Entrance on the way to Steep Point.
We did go to Thunder Bay, The Blowholes and Nord 6 monument and believe that it is easier going to visit these on the way to Steep Point than on the way out.
These are really worth seeing.
As it turned out, we ran out of time to visit False Entrance on the way back. It probably would have added approx 45 mins to our trip and, as it was, we only just got back before it was getting dark.
You will need to re inflate your tyres, up to 24 to 26 psi at the pay station on the return trip and unlock your hubs.
Reinflate tyres to your normal level when you get to the main bitumen rd.
If all the above presents you with no problems, go for it!
It is a great trip/destination.
Did I mention that the roads are corrugated!!!!
AnswerID: 646198

Sponsored Links