Herveys Range Dev Road to Valley of Lagoons then to Mt Fox

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 18:36
ThreadID: 147580 Views:635 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
Hi
Looking at taking this route from Tville to eventually end up at Mt Garnett.
Will be towing 16ft offroad van.
Has anyone been thru recently or know conditions and if the route is open, will be travelling mid June 24

Thanks
John
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 19:21

Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 19:21
If I have understood you correctly(?), you are talking about the Highway from Townsville to Charters Towers, then through to Geenvale and onto Mt Garnet(?), then you can do it in a mini minor.
We did the Charters Towers to Mt Garnet last June (and will again this June).
I apologise if I have misunderstood.
AnswerID: 645726

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 20:33

Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 20:33
The OP is talking about the Harvey's Range Rd not the Flinders Hwy through Charters Towers.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926084

Follow Up By: John W6 - Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 20:54

Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 20:54
Sorry maybe I didn't explain it correctly.

Looking for back roads or dirt roads , grew up near Cairns and bored going via the Bitumen
FollowupID: 926085

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 20:33

Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 20:33
There’s a couple of ways through that country, depending on the order you wish to travel. One route, onto the National Trail to Mt Fox, then west to Valley of Lagoons & onto Gregory Developmental Road. There’s also one route from Innisfail west to Mt Fox. There’s also a couple of minor roads, off the GDR, that make their way to Valley of Lagoons through other stations.
A route from Kennedy, on Bruce Highway, meandering across to Mt Garnet, is closed.
Not aware of road conditions for these minor roads, as we’re usually pedal to the metal along Hann Highway & GDR.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645727

Follow Up By: John W6 - Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 20:59

Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 20:59
Thanks Bob, I did have the order mixed up, I meant Harvey Range then north to Hidden Valley, north to Mt Fox then west towards Greenvale and then north.
FollowupID: 926086

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 25, 2024 at 21:01
Bob is that the Kirrama Ra Road past Blancoe Falls that is closed? Many years ago (1986) I did a trip along that road, crossed the Herbert at Cashmere ruin then past L. Lucy on to the Valley of Lagoons for an overnight camp and back to the coast via the Camel Ck Road. Bloke we went with knew all the landholders so we were free to travel on private property if required, also closer to the coast, all the logging roads were open and maintained. It a bit too far in the past to remember the exact route. A number of my work colleagues also had plots experimenting with the introduction of new legume pasture species at Mt Fox and Kangaroo Hills. Been a long time ago though.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 926087

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 05:44

Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 05:44
That’s it, Warren. Apparently, if one wishes to view the falls now, it is necessary to use the access via Mt Garnet. Know a bloke who owned a block on that road, Glen Ruth, some years back, but didn’t contact him when I found out the road is closed…….permanently?

Interesting about your work on new legumes, back then. Worked for a company that had a big block on the Mitchell, where they were trialling some of the early legumes. Either it’s too early in the morning, or I’m too old to remember some of their names?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926088

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 08:39

Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 08:39
Kirrama Range Road
Wet Tropics Management Authority says it reopened in 2014 unless it's closed again. Worth a call to the Cassowary Coastal Council.
Edit: Appears to be open unless the December cyclone caused damage. Repairs completed.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 926089

Follow Up By: dermie66 - Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 21:07

Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 21:07
Sorry can’t help with current road conditions, haven’t been down that road for a few of years.

The upper (northern) end of the Gunnawarra Rd is usually quite trafficable down to Wairuna Rd towards Valley of Lagoons. Not sure how well built or sprung a hybrid van might be nor if significant damage was done to any section in the recent wet season but I’d say by June the road managers will have most of it in pretty good nick. Based on past experiences the road would be generally trafficable to a trailer/van with above average clearance and suspension. The Kirrama Range section is managed by Cassowary Coast who have a hell of a time trying to keep it in condition with the rainfall events they experience which is why it has spent long periods closed on/off since Cyclone Larry. The western and southern sections are variously managed by National Parks, Tablelands and Charters Towers Councils, you could check with them. There’s also the Oak Hills Rd off Wairuna that takes you thru Mt Fox to Ingham.

This conversation also got me interested because my old man worked for CSIRO most of his life and had legume trial plots on Lansdown (between Townsville and Charters Towers) plus up around Walkamin (DPI) and Southedge Station (Mitchell R).
FollowupID: 926092

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 08:26

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 08:26
Thanks Dermie.
Mark
FollowupID: 926099

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Apr 28, 2024 at 09:27

Sunday, Apr 28, 2024 at 09:27
Advisable not to tow a van on the Kirrama to Mt Garnet road. Very steep in places, tight and a nightmare when raining. I towed an off road camper from Kennedy to Goshen station about 6 years ago. Worst bloody drive of my life. I did not see any sign saying prohibiting trailers/vans. 7 hours at walking speed due to rain, thick fog, muddy hill climbs. Weather was overcast in Kennedy but horrible up higher. Took 3 attempts just to get up one hill by my mate towing a light Jayco camper. I believe there is a sign telling of the tracks condition and towing/weight restrictions. Even in the dry it would not be advisable as meeting another vehicle coming the opposite direction and towing would see possible accident or extremely difficult manoeuvrers. Lesson learnt on that trip...thats for sure.
FollowupID: 926111

Follow Up By: John W6 - Sunday, Apr 28, 2024 at 17:20

Sunday, Apr 28, 2024 at 17:20
Thanks Dermie and Bigfish for you feedback

John
FollowupID: 926113

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 11:44

Friday, Apr 26, 2024 at 11:44
Bob, Warren and John. As I need to get from Mt Surprise to Mission Beach in July, that route looks interesting.
Would you do it towing a small(14ft) hybrid van?.... instead of heading down from Milla Milla.
Regarding tropical legumes, 45 years ago I was told by an agronomy lecturer (who used to work for CSIRO), that the only way to have successful tropical legume pastures, was to not greet them!
AnswerID: 645728

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 08:26

Saturday, Apr 27, 2024 at 08:26
Sorry spell check changed what I wrote. It should have been......."the only way to sustain successful tropical legume pastures is not to GRAZE them".
FollowupID: 926098

Sponsored Links