Eagle rock soemwhere near elachbutting rock WA

Hoping somebody might know of this place.

I have heard of place called eagle rock it was mentioned to me by caretaker at a National trust farm cottage south of Mukabudin in WA also recenly seen a few pictures of it on another SM platform (FB)

From what I can gather its near Elachbutting rock sort of east of bonnie rock but further north possibly past the Ag protection fence line

Ive used google maps and here to no avail to find it - wonder if its known by another name ?

It supposed to have a natural dam (gamma hole) and a flyign fox or similar

If anybody knows where it is and can it be accessed easily from elachbutting as base camp location any information be greatly appreciated

rgds

Dean
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2024 at 21:02

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2024 at 21:02
Try looking for Eagle Stone Rock. On edge of Lake Brown, north east of Nungarin.
Nice spot.

Eagle stone rock

Cheers
AnswerID: 645474

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2024 at 21:51

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2024 at 21:51
It has a good write up in WikiCamps.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925777

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Mar 14, 2024 at 08:54

Thursday, Mar 14, 2024 at 08:54
Its been listed in ExplorOz Places since 2006
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645476

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 14, 2024 at 15:22

Thursday, Mar 14, 2024 at 15:22
Just to clarify it is referred to as Eaglestone Rock Campsite and Eagle Stone Rock - WA in Exploroz Places (i.e. not just Eagle Stone Rock). For some reason the Nungarin Shire website use both Eaglestone Rock and Eagle Stone Rock just to add to the confusion :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 645477

Reply By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Mar 14, 2024 at 19:32

Thursday, Mar 14, 2024 at 19:32
Thanks for the responses but this place isn't one I'm after

this is lake brown aka eaglestone rock this place is elsewhere eagle rock

I've since managed to find its location after trawling through another SM site posts -and yes I'm correct north of elachbutting rock

Info I was given access vis state barrier protection fence via grosser rd elachbutting

I need to carry set of ear muffs so my ears don't get deafened by the proximity alarm to ward off any animals near the gates
AnswerID: 645479

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 14, 2024 at 23:17

Thursday, Mar 14, 2024 at 23:17
Interesting. In looking I note that Bonzle Maps shows Eagle Rock also in the Lake Campion Reserve, 315 metres from Eaglestone Hill.http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&x=118.226925&y=-30.99701&w=23888&h=23888&i=554&j=554&p=11608&pp=11608&fc=1&d=inc&op=101&mpsec=0#map

I have just written my travelogue of Eaglestone Rock, and it is confusing that Lake Brown is the lake in the Lake Campion Reserve, and Lake Brown is a locality around 20 kilometres north east of Lake Campion's Lake Brown lake. So duplications and double ups of names seem par for the course.

Meanwhile, as you have located directions to the Eagle Rock you were seeking, please add it to the places here on EO. I note that you have said access is via the State Barrier Fence. Be aware that the barrier fence roads are for service vehicles only, and access and travel within the State Barrier Fence reserve is restricted to permit holders only. Unauthorised vehicles could be fined up to $10,000. I don't know if you could get a permit for your intended drive. For information about this, contact sbf@dpird.wa.gov.au.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925781

Reply By: Dean K3 - Friday, Mar 15, 2024 at 19:52

Friday, Mar 15, 2024 at 19:52
Footnote as I can't reply directly to motherhen.

Access by state barrier fence refers to crossing the fence at a gazette road crossing point.

This involves a noisy affair as these gates have proximity sensors on them which sets off a piezo alarm to ward off any animals trying to cross the gate when its open. -class 5 earmuffs a must in my case

Motion detection cameras are also setup to record vehicle registration and ensure gate are closed plus monitor for feral animals in the area

I discovered this aspect during the march long weekend (couple of weeks ago) when i visited John Forrest Lookout in karara rangelands conservation park from rothsay - warrendier copper mine rd
AnswerID: 645483

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 31, 2024 at 00:41

Sunday, Mar 31, 2024 at 00:41
I’ve been to Eagle Rock quite a few years ago. It is certainly on the north side of the fence but there wasn’t any noise device or camera on the gate back then.

It is actually a very popular place and had a lot of campers there on our visit.

If you keep going along the fenceline heading SE you come to Mt Jackson Rd. Turn right and after a short drive you will find Trough Well, another beautiful campite (see EO Places).

If you turn left you will eventually circle around to Ularring Rock, historically very interesting.

There are a lot of not so well known granite rock campsites in that area. Barcooting Well is a nice one (aso in EO Places).
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645576

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 31, 2024 at 01:08

Sunday, Mar 31, 2024 at 01:08
You can see the dam you mentioned.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925857

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2024 at 20:31

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2024 at 20:31
Thanks for the info was hoping to do it with Easter (just gone) but ended up going to the more well known Eaglestone rock near lake brown.

This one for another trip when i have a bit more time up my sleeve - be nice to do this mt jackson rd Helena aurora ranges as a extended trip away over week or two
FollowupID: 925892

Sponsored Links