Newbie Life Member

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 16:42
ThreadID: 146868 Views:737 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

I've been a member of this awsome group for a few years and recently decided to become a life member.

Just thought I'd say hello, and ask for some advice please.

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Kimberley region in June this year.

At this stage the plan is to take 10 days to travel from Sydney to Broome, via Alice Springs. Then spend 4 weeks exploring the Kinberley region.

Looking at alternate routes for return trip back to Sydney. Don't mind doing a little off road and off grid work.

We have an offroad Jurgens Tufftrax van that we are planning on towing. Tug is a 2022 Prado 150 GX which has ome suspension with a 40mm lift with air bags in the rear and TJM bar work.

Hoping to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip, along with alternate routes and must see things along the way.

Thanks
John.
Stay young and live the dream today!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 17:38
Definitely take longer if you can, long way to travel and so much to see and do!
AnswerID: 645165

Reply By: Raymond W3 - Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 15:36

Friday, Feb 16, 2024 at 15:36
Hello, I think you should head east from Alice Springs on the Great Central Road. It’s a desert track that takes you through the heart of Australia. Moreover, don't forget to visit El Questro Wilderness Park. This is a sprawling wilderness area with gorges, hot springs, and waterfalls. Don’t miss Emma Gorge and Zebedee Springs.
AnswerID: 645303

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Feb 17, 2024 at 07:28

Saturday, Feb 17, 2024 at 07:28
Hi Raymond W3,

No offence intended, but The Great Central Road does not start or end in Alice Springs. It connects Kata Tjuta in the east, to Laverton in the west, and heads basically in a North East/South West direction. It is many hundreds of kilometres from the Kimberley Region, heading in the wrong direction.

You may be thinking of The Tanami Track. It connects the Stuart Highway just north of Alice Springs, with the Great Northern Highway just south of Halls Creek in the Southern Kimberley region.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925591

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Feb 17, 2024 at 07:58

Saturday, Feb 17, 2024 at 07:58
Hi Jam,

I seem to recall this question being raised on another platform. Heading from Alice Springs back to Sydney, you could take a couple of different outback highways, however, you would need to head north first.

The Plenty Highway.
Heading north from Alice Springs on the Stuart Highway, about 70 kms, turn right onto the Plenty Highway. Continue about 70 km. and you will come to Gemtree. This is a good place to stay, and spend a couple of days. The caravan park run fossicking tours where they will take you to the Garnet or Zircon gem fields where you can fossick for gemstones. They have all the gear you will need, and will even help you sort the quality stones from the “rubbish”.

From Gemtree continue East on the Plenty Highway to Jervois Station, then Boulia, then south to Bedourie and Birdsville. From Birdsville, you can go a couple of different ways, the Birdsville Developmental Road, other south to Innaminka, Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, Broken Hill, then through NSW back to Sydney. Or continue on the Birdsville Developmental Road through to Windorah, Quilpie, Cunnamulla, then through outback NSW to Sydney.

The Barkly Highway.
Heading North from Alice Springs, the Barkly Highway is around 533 kms North of Alice Springs, and is a much longer route as it takes you through northern Queensland through Mount Isa, Cloncurry, Winton, Longreach, Barcaldine, Blackall, and down to NSW.

Check both routes out on Google Maps, and see which way suits you best.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645311

Sponsored Links