Trekking places in Mexico!

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 22:41
ThreadID: 146839 Views:1364 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I’m going to Mexico for a business trip later next month and I will have some free time to explore the country. I love hiking, and I’m looking for some recommendations on the best trekking places in Mexico. I’m open to any difficulty level as long as it’s accessible. I was also thinking about volcanic skiing over there. It looked fun to do. Read some article about that.

Do you guys have any personal experiences or tips to share? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: North 200 - Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 08:04

Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 08:04
Only a short flight to Bolivia and cycle down death road.
AnswerID: 645145

Follow Up By: David w93 - Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 16:13

Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 16:13
I checked that on Google Earth. Not gonna lie, that road looks intriguing enough to me. With the surrounding fog, it looks way too mysterious. Though it won't be feasible for me at that time to fly between countries, I would love to do cycling there someday.
FollowupID: 925414

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 08:12

Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 08:12
G'day David,
Can't help specifically with Mexico but I have a subscription to a walks App called All trails.
I use it a lot when I go on trips & I just checked there are lots of suggested walks in Mexico.
You can download all the walks that interest you while you have Phone/internet service & track your progress even in flight mode to save your battery.
I use it in Australia in conjunction with Exploroz Traveller App & manage to find lots of new places.
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 645146

Follow Up By: David w93 - Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 16:19

Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 16:19
Thanks for the info, I have checked the app. I might take subscription too.
FollowupID: 925415

Reply By: Touseef i - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 00:03

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 00:03
Copper Canyon (Barrancas del Cobre): This series of canyons in the Sierra Madre Occidental offers stunning views and challenging trekking routes.

Nevado de Toluca: This stratovolcano is the fourth-highest peak in Mexico and offers trekking opportunities with breathtaking views of crater lakes.

Sierra Norte Mountains: Located in Oaxaca, the Sierra Norte offers various trekking routes through cloud forests, traditional villages, and ancient ruins.

Pico de Orizaba: As the highest peak in Mexico, Pico de Orizaba is a challenging trekking destination with rewarding views from its summit.

Malinche Volcano: Known as La Malinche, this volcano is a popular trekking spot due to its accessibility and panoramic views of nearby peaks.https://campcanvas.com/25-best-places-for-stargazing-glamping-texas/

Sierra Gorda Biosphere Reserve: In Querétaro, this biosphere reserve features diverse ecosystems and trekking routes, including the impressive Peña de Bernal.

Cascada Tamul: This trek in San Luis Potosí takes you to the stunning Tamul waterfall, where you can enjoy the scenic beauty of the Huasteca Potosina region.

Hierve el Agua: Located in Oaxaca, this site features petrified waterfalls and offers trekking routes with unique geological formations.

Iztaccihuatl-Popocatepetl National Park: This park is home to the third and second-highest peaks in Mexico, Iztaccihuatl and Popocatepetl. The area offers challenging trekking routes and stunning volcanic landscapes.

Chicahuaxtla Mountains: Found in the state of Puebla, these mountains provide trekking opportunities through pine and oak forests, leading to panoramic viewpoints.
AnswerID: 645161

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 08:02

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 08:02
Bit surprised to read "petrified waterfalls" , but some research reveals the real situation. Very interesting places.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925420

Follow Up By: David w93 - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 18:47
Thanks for the detailed information, Touseef. I also heard for the first time about the petrified waterfalls. I had to go to Google to check out what petrified waterfalls mean. There are only two such waterfalls in the entire world. Btw, I have hired a guide from https://gowithguide.com/mexico/guides and will be telling him about arranging a visit to this fall for sure.
FollowupID: 925423

Sponsored Links