AI box

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 19:35
ThreadID: 146804 Views:1001 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can someone please advise me if these various AI boxes that are recommended to use to display the required Android apps on the modern-day head units of for example the Landcruiser 300 series have an inbuilt GPS?

I changed out the head unit in my 200 series for an Android head unit specifically so I could use Exploreoz Traveller for my mapping and navigation etc.

I have a 300 series on order and what I am trying to get my head around is if I purchase one of these Ai boxes how does it access a GPS for navigation?

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 08:49

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 08:49
As far as i'm aware an Andriod Auto interface is just that, it interfaces your android device to a cars android auto supported car display radio etc.

You use the interface to display exploreoz on your phone onto the cars screen, the apps running on the phone and the GPS is in the phone.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645079

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 11:50

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 11:50
Thanks, but you have misunderstood my question. Android Auto is basically useless as very few apps are compatible.

My query was how does the AI box access the GPS when using it for navigation. If you see David & Michelles answer you may get a better understanding of why AI boxes are the way to go.
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 925329

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 09:18

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 09:18
The factory headunit in the 300 series has built in gps built in but restricts your selection of apps as it isnt a full open Android operating system (only Android Auto/CarPlay) so doesnt give access to the Google Playstore where apps like ExplorOz Traveller are found. The Android AI Box Adapters simply enable that. The apps you download from Playstore get stored on the AI BOX but display on the headunit and use the gps in the headunit. For around $250 its a much cheaoer solution than replacing the factory headunit with an aftermarket Android headunit. Hope this helps
Regards Michelle
(Typos fixed in edit)
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645080

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 11:47

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 11:47
Thanks, you have covered the AI boxes well in previous posts along with good reasons why you're not making Exploreoz Traveller Android compatible.

My confusion was the GPS use and you have answered that clearly.... thanks again.
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 925328

Sponsored Links