Trans Australian Railway Access Road.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 06:48
ThreadID: 146802 Views:1962 Replies:7 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

We are planning to travel west from Glendambo following the TARAR, in May of this year. I believe we will need permits for the section adjacent to Maralinga, but are there any other sections that we will need permits for? I was thinking that as this road also runs adjacent to the Woomera Exclusion Zone we might also need a permit for this section as well. I understand that the Rail Track Corporation do not issue permits, and are not really happy for people to travel this road.

Thanks and regards,

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GarryR - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 08:36

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 08:36
Hi Macca, there are a number of threads that are archived on this forum relating to access of the Trans Australian access road. I don't know if that helps or not.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645072

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 09:10

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 09:10
I think you will not get a permit for anything west of Lyons.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645073

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 12:41

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 12:41
I did the entire length in 2022.. Glendambo to Kalgoorlie... oops I forgot to enquire about permits (I do know Woomera permits are absolutely not required).

Awesome transit, Forrest Airport was particularly cool!
AnswerID: 645074

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 16:19

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 16:19
The railway does not encroach on the prohibited area - Maps of the Woomera Prohibited Area. However, the Ghan Line and the Stuart Highway do.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645075

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 18:36

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 18:36
Permits to enter the Woomera Prohibited Area are readily available, but ONLY when you have permission to use the roads involved first.
The Stuart Highway is exempt, as are a couple of other roads.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925316

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 19:02

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 19:02
Can the Ghan line north from Tarcoola to where it meets up with the Stuart Highway north of Coober Pedy be driven? I'd love to drive the maintenance track.
FollowupID: 925317

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 19:13

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 19:13
The short answer is no. You might get permission to use some of it if it is the only option to get somewhere else that you can go.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925318

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 19:28

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 19:28
Thanks Peter.. sounds like a plan.
FollowupID: 925319

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 20:22

Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 20:22
ARTC will not even reply to enquiries on entry to the West or North. I even had a mate who is an ARTC employee enquire and he was told no!
FollowupID: 925320

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:13

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:13
ARTC have nothing to to with the north line from Tarcoola. That's owned by Aurizon.
FollowupID: 925322

Follow Up By: Peter J4 - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:27

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:27
From memory there is no public access to the trans railway road between the top of the intersection with Googs track and Haigh to the west.
When we enquired years ago we were told that no public access was allowed, one of the reasons given was people in trouble flagging down trains for assistance due to breakdowns.
That being said these days there is Telstra phone access the full length of the trans line.
We were also told that trains would report any vehicles spotted.
FollowupID: 925323

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:34

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:34
All of the trains that passed me spotted my vehicle.. There was much enthusiastic tooting of air horns and warm waves out the driver's window - both returned in kind. So good.
FollowupID: 925324

Follow Up By: Peter J4 - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 07:00

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 07:00
As I said that was years ago so obviously things have changed, maybe different mob responsible for the line these days.
As what happened years ago it only takes a few to flag a train down because of a breakdown and the powers that be will close it again as it is a private road not a public one.
FollowupID: 925325

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 12:00

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 12:00
One of the interesting points (legally) - as regards any of the rail line reservations in W.A., anyway - (I can't speak for areas outside W.A.), is that the railway reserve boundaries are plotted precisely on the W.A. Land Titles system (run by Landgate).
You can view the Railway Reserve title boundaries on the Landgate Mapviewer.

If you are on the Railway Reserve without the rail authority authorisation, you are technically trespassing.

However, the Trans Line Access road meanders all over the place, as with many original tracks. This road does not sit 100% within the Railway Reserve boundaries, between Kalgoorlie and the W.A. - S.A. border.

I would not be surprised if the situation is the same in S.A.
So, as a result, for many, many kms of the Trans Access road, you are most certainly NOT trespassing on the Railway Reserve, you are driving on Unallocated Crown Land, or Pastoral Leases.

The Trans Access road is NOT a surveyed and gazetted road, unlike 99% of the roads in W.A. It is a "public" road in legal terms, because the public can easily access it.
It has no gates on it, nor any warning signage to say it is a private road, and no warnings to the public to stop at any point - unlike the heavily patrolled private iron ore lines access roads in the North of W.A.

In fact, Trans Access road signage states the condition of the road for public useage (with regard to weather events).
When the pandemic started, and during several severe bushfire events that closed Highway One, the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Council actually pushed for the upgrade and sealing of the Trans Access road to an all-weather highway status.

https://www.kalminer.com.au/news/kalgoorlie-miner/seal-trans-access-road-to-stop-wa-being-cut-off-from-nation-odonnell-ng-b881430646z

The Trans Access road has been used for many, many years for road haulage of lime from Loongana, Nth of Rawlinna.

As a result, any Rail Authority that has control of the Trans Line, in trying to legally enforce a trespass charge against Trans Access road users, would have to produce a certified copy of the Land Title outlining the Railway Reserve precise boundaries, and also produce a verified precise location and identification of your vehicle at the particular date and time of trespass, to be able to sustain a trespass charge.

And at the the end of the day, you only have to produce a lawful reason for your incursion onto the Railway Reserve to be able to beat the trespass charge.

Besides the previous reasons outlined, as regards a Rail Authority stopping you from using the Rail Reserve, the other simple reason Trans Access road use is discouraged is because of drug trafficking, and if you use the Trans Access line, don't be surprised if you come across a W.A. Police road block carrying out vehicle inspections.

Finally, the MAJOR reason why any Rail Authority is down on the use of their access roads that run alongside rail lines for maintenance purposes, is the problem of idiots with 4WD's TRYING TO CROSS rail lines, at points where there is NO DEDICATED ROAD-RAIL CROSSING point.

These idiots then get stuck on the rail line, and the eventual crash between their stuck vehicle and a rail vehicle is almost inevitable.
I won't even go into the amount an event like that would cost an offender, but I can assure them, they'll lose everything they own, if they're stupid enough to initiate an event like that.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 925346

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 13:48

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 13:48
Superb information Ron.. thank you for taking the time to provide all of that so clearly and well laid out.. Much appreciated.
FollowupID: 925347

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 22:00

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 22:00
The rail reserve is up to a kilometer either side of the rail
FollowupID: 925354

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 00:14

Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 00:14
From Kalgoorlie to Bulong, the Railway Reserve is only 50 metres wide. From Bulong to the W.A. - S.A. border, the regular width of the Railway Reserve is 400 metres.

The Trans line is invariably in the centre of this Reserve. However, there are a number of places along the line where ARTC own blocks of land that can extend quite a distance from the line.

Most of these blocks of ARTC land that adjoin the line, are relatively short in distance along the line, though.

https://map-viewer-plus.app.landgate.wa.gov.au/

If you open the Landgate Mapviewer and zoom in on the Trans line, you will see the land title boundaries delineated. Clicking inside a set of lines brings up the boundaries of that particular land title, in green, with folio and plan number, and the Local Govt body that charges rates on that land title.

You will find the Trans line Railway Reserve is broken up into sections, each with a different title, but with most of the Reserve titles comprising around 3,500 Ha each. There are some variations in title sizes for the Railway Reserve.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 925356

Follow Up By: John Baas - Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 01:51

Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 01:51
To Ron N... I got quite a bit out of that; many thanks.

But... re "These idiots then get stuck on the rail line, and the eventual crash between their stuck vehicle and a rail vehicle is almost inevitable", I cant recall a single incident of such a thing ever in the press in the context of a TARL 4WD traveler occurence...?.

An example incident please.

Cheers. JB.
FollowupID: 925357

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 11:21

Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 11:21
Hi John - Correct, there has never been a rail collision of this type on the Trans line, involving a traveller on the access road, that I can recall. It appears that all travelers along the Trans line access road are cluey and well prepared.

However, there have been numerous other examples of this style of collision in other States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMS5BtEZsUE

It's difficult to find multiple examples of this type of crash, due to news items being deleted from the 'net after a few years, and also because of subscriber blocks. But here's one that happened on the Adelaide-Darwin line.

Train-4WD crash

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 925358

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:41

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:41
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for all the replies, it is very much appreciated.

Regards, Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645077

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jan 27, 2024 at 14:25

Saturday, Jan 27, 2024 at 14:25
There are two tracks .. the one closest to the rail line is ARTC and should be avoided. The one slightly further out is a Telecom track. You would not have any dramas there. We came along the Telstra track from Glendambo to Rawlinna last year before turning onto the Anne Beadell road. The year before we travelled Kalgoorlie to Rawlinna before heading slightly further along and turning south to Cocklebiddy. All good.
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

AnswerID: 645152

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Jan 28, 2024 at 06:22

Sunday, Jan 28, 2024 at 06:22
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the tip. We intend travelling all the way to Kalgoorlie.

Regards,
Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925418

Reply By: John S122 - Thursday, Feb 01, 2024 at 22:34

Thursday, Feb 01, 2024 at 22:34
There is so much misinformation on this thread.

Travel in the ARTC rail corridor between the Googs Track turn off in SA through to Haig in WA is off limits - this includes the track close to the rail and the outer track that some incorrectly refer to as the ‘Telstra Track’. Both tracks are inside the private property owned by ARTC. There is signage present. These tracks are for the use by staff and the contractors only. Permission for tourist travel is not granted and there will be significant liability issues if there is an accident.

Travel is only permitted in SA from Tarcoola as far as the Googs Track turn off and in WA from Kalgoorlie as far as Haig - all other ideas on what you can and can’t do are irrelevant.
AnswerID: 645188

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Feb 02, 2024 at 07:02

Friday, Feb 02, 2024 at 07:02
Hi John S122,

Thank you for your succinct and candid response, I will keep it in mind.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925453

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Feb 02, 2024 at 15:47

Friday, Feb 02, 2024 at 15:47
So why does the sign in this article state "Trans Access Road - Open to All Vehicles"?

If the Shire of Kalgoorlie-Boulder has enough control over the Trans Access road - to the point where they install a sign advising motorists of road conditions, then that makes it a "public road", under Western Australian legal definitions.

https://www.kalminer.com.au/news/kalgoorlie-miner/seal-trans-access-road-to-stop-wa-being-cut-off-from-nation-odonnell-ng-b881430646z

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 925454

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Feb 02, 2024 at 16:51

Friday, Feb 02, 2024 at 16:51
"So why does the sign in this article state "Trans Access Road - Open to All Vehicles"?"

John said, "Travel is only permitted in . . . and in WA from Kalgoorlie as far as Haig"

The council may have control of the road as far as Haig. However, they have no authority to allow people to trespass on land owned by others. I suggest you ask the council to answer your question and not the forum members.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925456

Sponsored Links