Big Lap travel safety

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 09:41
ThreadID: 146799 Views:1776 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All,
My wife and I are planning a big lap, anti clockwise from NNSW starting beginning of May 2024. Carnarvon Gorge, Longreach, Kakadu, Kununurra, Kimberley's, Broome, Karijini and West cost, returning via Great Western Highway to Yulara, Oodnadatta, Wilpena Pound, Broken hill etc. 3 months planned, 16K kms.
Our convoy buddies look like they cannot make it now and there are a few remote stretches we would like to travel in a group, or at least some sections of it for safety and break down support. We have a Landcruiser 100 and full off-road caravan,
Any interest out there and I can share more detail and dates.
Also any insights to trip gladly taken....
All the best,
Steve & Charlotte
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 09:55

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 09:55
My first reaction is that we would not contemplate such a trip with less than 5 or 6 months available.
Second is that we would happily do it alone. There is nothing "remote" in your description.

How are you getting from the WA west coast to Yalara? The "Great Western Highway" is in NSW.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645060

Follow Up By: Member - Steven M18 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 10:42

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 10:42
Many thanks Peter,
Opps, yes the Great Central Highway from Leonora to Yulara, this section was one I am hoping to do some remote camping along so wondering about safety.
Thanks for your comments on timing as well, yes we may be rushing it somewhat. We do have more time available.
Happy to know you can do most of it alone as well, we are quite happy that way too….
You have an OKA, then you are serious….:-)

Thanks,
FollowupID: 925299

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 11:05

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 11:05
Hi Steve.
"Remote camping" is a bit problematic along much of the Great Central Road. There are some restrictions due to the (free) permit that you need to get, so you are limited to spots relatively close to the road (if my memory serves me correctly). The road itself is a "gravel highway" for much of the distance, these days.
That said there are plenty of other opportunities, particularly in the Pilbara, away from the coast where there is ample opportunity to explore less travelled areas.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925300

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 16:58
I would agree with Peter & Marget on the time if you want to enjoy it and take in lots of sites etc plus no issues going solo. 18yrs ago we took 2 1/2 months to travel from Perth to Mackay we saw a fair amount but there was still a lot more we didn't see. The main thing is we could spend time at a place if we liked it like 2 weeks in Broome and 2 weeks in Darwin which gives you time to relax and enjoy it we had our 5yr old daughter with us.
We had friends that done a lap in 6 weeks I thought they were entering a race. You know what the high light seemed to be was they saw Kyle Minogue sitting at a table at El questro station wow they got there money's worth lol.
To me a 3 month trip would be half a lap so from our base on the east coast up to Darwin down the centre to Adelaide and back a nice casual cruise. It also helps you iron out the bugs for when you plan the big lap but every one does things differently.
FollowupID: 925307

Follow Up By: Member - Steven M18 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 19:12

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 19:12
Thanks Batt,
Yes lots of good advice here. Love the story from El Questro. You all have us thinking about retiming. Appreciate the genuine comments. We have dome a lot of short trip ironing out the rig, so really happy with it now and ready to make it home for a few months…. :-)
FollowupID: 925309

Reply By: Rod N - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 11:11

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 11:11
As Peter said there is nothing really remote in your plans. We have done most of that solo with a van and later with our motorhome. Just take a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) if you are really worried. For phone/internet Starlink is the way to go, although the mobile network is getting better. Telstra or Boost is the best
AnswerID: 645061

Follow Up By: Member - Steven M18 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:17

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:17
Many thanks Rod,
Good to know your experience. Yes we have both a PLB (Garmin with Texting) and Starlink so well set up for that. Have Telstra and a LTE Antenna on the Cruiser so I think I have that covered.
Thanks,
FollowupID: 925302

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 11:32

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 11:32
Hi Steve,
I don't think you have to worry about personal safety.
A few thoughts from me are
- carry extra fuel in jerry cans
- Get full coverage from your RAC
-Get a WA nat parks annual pass to save money, and book any camps in nat parks that you want to visit as they can get very busy.
-If you haven't booked your spot in Broome you might have a problem finding one.
Ian
AnswerID: 645062

Follow Up By: Member - Steven M18 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:18

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:18
Thanks Ian,
Thanks for the Heads up on parks and booking. Will do that now…

Cheers,
FollowupID: 925303

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 16:47

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 16:47
Steve,

Cooinda is a good camp, & fairly central to other attractions, first come, best dressed for camp sites.

As Ian said, get an annual pass for NP’s. In Kununurra in 2022, it was cheaper, being seniors, for annual pass, than a 1 month pass. Hidden Valley van park is a good one & only a brisk walk from Mirima NP.

Good camp between Halls Ck & Fitzroy Crossing, is Ngumpan Cliffs. Plenty of room for vans, perched up above the highway. We spent a few days at Willare Roadhouse. Good meals & Matsos ginger beer.

Doing the GCR, I camped at Erldunda, $22 for powered site, then on WA/NT border, in a gravel pit. Next night, on an abandoned stretch of the highway, west of Tjukayirla Roadhouse. Next day, made to Wiluna, no worries.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925306

Follow Up By: Member - Steven M18 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 19:14

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 19:14
Perfect, thanks Bob…. All that makes sense and thanks for the Heads Up on the camp sites…. Perfect
FollowupID: 925310

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:06

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:06
Steve
I concur with above comments, namely getting complete/extra/premium cover from NRMA making sure you pay extra for towing a van over 2T (as you are from NSW).
Keep your travel plans as flexible as possible.
A 100 series Cruiser is likely to be getting on in age and subject to unplanned mechanical issues.
I've been known to drive from Tamworth to Cairns in 2 days (2000km) towing a camper a couple of times to then maximise time in the Cape, but realistically I wouldn't consider doing any more than half of your itinerary in just 3 months.
I've not driven west of Uluru, but everywhere you mention east of there is well travelled.
Mark
AnswerID: 645063

Follow Up By: Member - Steven M18 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:23

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:23
Thanks Mar,
Yes your comment on keeping flexible is what we want to do, but as a previous comment said, if we don’t book some things, it can fill up very quickly…. Like Broome at that time of the year…
My issue with the 3 month thing is once we are in Broome, ya gotta get back somehow. However, I may look at cutting out a few things….. many thanks,
FollowupID: 925304

Reply By: Rod N - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 13:05

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 13:05
Along with booking at Broome you will need to book Karijini in advance as it is very popular, as are other places you mention.
AnswerID: 645064

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 13:21
The social issues associated with excessive alcohol consumption in the Kimberley towns are getting another run in the WA media this week.

You are likely to feel much safer bush camped on the Great Central Road .

Otherwise enjoy the journey.

Cheers
AnswerID: 645065

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 13:38

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 13:38
Last time I was in Broome I stayed in the little camp at the Broome Bird Observatory.

It's a few ks out of town and might not be suitable for a biggish caravan but the only thing likely to disturb you in the night and early morning are the birds.

Cheers
FollowupID: 925305

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 14:14

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 14:14
Broome is a major tourist trap, but you have to go there once.
Check out the pearling history, the little museum and Cable Beach. 2 days tops.
We prefer to shop/restock in Derby.
And go north along the west coast of the Dampier Peninsula to James Price Point - Coulomb Point for some stunning coastal free camping, if the van is not too big/wide. Several days at least, more if you fish.

The Kimberley is the most stunning part of Australia, and the most difficult to see. It deserves weeks or months, not days.

Ignore the "Kakadon't" brigade. As an Australian icon it is embarrassingly run down, but enjoy it for what it has. It is stunning country. We spent another 2 weeks there exploring on our last visit recently.

Forget everything else on your plan in Queensland, NT and SA. If you are driving across to the west, make the most of it and maximise your time there. The rest can be done in shorter trips from home later.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645066

Follow Up By: Member - Steven M18 - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 19:21
Thanks again Peter,
Yes we had planed to go to Cape Leveque so those ideas of James Price Point etc are great.
Interested in your comments on Kakadu. We are contemplating dropping that for now and heading straight across. I would like to do that top end separately, is that reasonable?? Tends to agree with you comment of heading directly to WA…
Lots of great advise here guys, love your work….

Thanks
FollowupID: 925311

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 20:58

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2024 at 20:58
There is certainly enough in the West for several 6 months trips.
James Price Point is not on the Cape Leveque road (which is now bitumen and will be busy) and I have not heard that the Kooljaman Cape Leveque site has re-opened yet, but there are other camps in the area.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925312

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 09:31
The responses posted to date in the thread cover all that I was going to post. You have received excellent advice. In particular the need to extend your 3 month timeframe, have RAC recovery cover, to carry a PLB & remote comms & to be flexible with your intinerary.

Note that nowhere is remote until something goes wrong, but you should have that well covered with the PLB & Starlink. Just make sure that you have a list of appropriate 'emergency contact numbers' before you head off.

The only thing I would choose to do differently to what some have suggested is the booking ahead malarky.

The more flexible you can be with your intinerary the less need to book everything ahead.

I certainly wouldn't book anything before leaving home, & would only book a max of a week or two in advance for the 'absolute must see' places. (Mornington Wilderness Camp, if open, off the Gibb River Road, is a must & does need to be booked - but even that we were able to book just 3 weeks before arriving).

Our experience is that even without booking it is generally possible to get into most places if prepared to free camp a bit whilst waiting for a vacancy, or, dare I say it, to take advantage of the 'ghost bookings' in many NP's.

The online/all fully booked booking system is a joke, with many sites fully booked for months but frequently not used. In addition most NP's have a few 'unofficial' overflow spaces.

I'm not advocating blocking booked sites from those who have booked, but I do advocate utilising booked sites with a willingness to move if need be, generally to one of the unofficial spaces, if someone who has booked turns up & is unwilling or unable to share the space. Eg. We stayed in a NP (not on your route) for 10 nights at 4 or 5 different sites in the park. Online booking said *every* site in the park was fully booked for several months ahead. We found that more than 90% of the sites were not utilised (& we checked multiple sites). Of the 10 nights only on one night did someone who had booked turned up, but it was a large site suitable for multiple vehicles, & they were happy for us to remain, but had they not have been we would simply have moved to another unused site nearby. At one site we stayed for several days. On the morning we were packing to leave a ranger turned up. He was not interested in whether we had booked or not, but in conversation it was he we learned the term 'ghost bookings' from. Folk who happily book a week+ with maybe the possibility of being there for one of the nights, if there plans haven't changed beforehand.

Certainly camping like this can add a degree of uncertainty, but in my view it is preferable to having to tie our intinerary down months ahead of travel time. Some will be critical of the position I advocate I'm sure, but I'm a bit of a rebel with regard to what I perceive as a bean counter driven, long term traveller-unfriendly booking system in NP's. I have no problem with paying my way, my problem is with the requirement to book in advance making free & easy travel into something too rigid which significantly detracts from a major reason that we travel. As it is, with no way to pay when utilising a site that is 'ghost booked' but not utilised we have been thankful to the unknown travellers who have unknowingly paid our camp fees for us on multiple occasions.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 645068

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 10:42

Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 10:42
Last week, we joined the grand children (and their parents) in a caravan park in on the River Murray for 3 nights.
It cost $45 per night for a powered site and we can not use the power. Nor did we use their showers or toilets, preferring to use our own facilities.
I reckon that was the first time in a decade that we have booked a commercial site. It was also the most money we have spent on accommodation in that time.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925314

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 12:31

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 12:31
The bottom line is - if you're planning to travel through an area, or on a little-used road without backup/support, it is good policy (and a recommended procedure) to report your movements and expected date/time of arrival at the next civilisation, to the local Police at the last place of habitation you visit.

The rescue of stranded travellers who leave no information on their whereabouts or travel plans, is a major headache for Police and SES and other rescuers, when travellers are reported as missing - so it is merely good manners and good planning to contact the local Police, and advise them accordingly as to your travel plans, equipment and experience, when you plan to travel through remote and lightly populated areas.

Extreme weather events when travelling on remote roads and tracks, that are not built to withstand extreme weather events, means that you may become stranded (and need rescuing), despite lots of good planning.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 645090

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 17:31

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 17:31
Good advice Ron....BUT..... on the two occasions I have tried to take that advice ....I failed.

Once in Birdsville in late November & very hot conditions we drove south to Maree, no one else on the road.Prior to leaving we went to the Police Station in Birdsville to let them know our travel plans & were met with "Not interested Mate".

Second time was in Kalkarindji, before we headed North through the Judbarra (Gregory)NP. Spent a morning trying to find a policeman, but all we could manage was to use the phone by the door of the closed police station which put us though to a police call centre in Darwin, who like our experience in Birdsville, were not interested in recording our details.

On both occasions we were able to contact friends to ask that they raise the alarm if they didn't hear from us again us within a week.

With an AMSA registered PLB/Epirb you can also update travel plans whilst you have internet access.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 925348

Sponsored Links