Sharing Personal Treks with another Member

Submitted: Friday, May 19, 2023 at 11:00
ThreadID: 145662 Views:948 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is it possible to share a proposed Personal Trek with another Member of ExplorOz? I have constructed the Trek on the Web Based App and would like to share it with the Member we will be travelling with.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, May 19, 2023 at 15:26

Friday, May 19, 2023 at 15:26
Hi Phil,
Short answer is No, currently, it is not possible to share Personal Treks.

Long Answer/Reasoning/Solution:
This issue has come about because we allow app users to use both Personal and ExplorOz Places in their Treks.

This is a double-edged sword, as the way people are using Personal Places has not been as we had original envisaged when we designed it, and now there is both positive and negative consequences for app users and for database management/storage if we make a change.

Without getting too technical, it makes the problem difficult to solve - David who develops the app has thought about it for about 2 years and it seems there is only 1 solution that is going to fix it and it would mean the app would only allow sharing if it is fully made using Public Places. If Personal Places are within the trek it would not allow sharing.

I've put this reply out here in the public so others reading this are aware that we are considering the best option for our customers. I think at the end of the day, the case for having shareable Treks is important and whatever change is required in the app logic to make that possible will trump any other perceived negative by removing the option to use Personal Places. We have not started development on this yet - and are open to feedback if anyone wants to make a comment - but for now that's where we are with this idea.

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643624

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Friday, May 19, 2023 at 22:38

Friday, May 19, 2023 at 22:38
I can't see that being an issue, you would just have to have a version of your trek without private places. The only time I can see a difficulty is if you have to create way-points to force the navigation to create a route when only straight line routing is available.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923324

Reply By: Member - Phil S19 - Friday, May 19, 2023 at 15:49

Friday, May 19, 2023 at 15:49
Hi Michelle, Thanks for your reply, I can understand where David is coming from on this. With Public Places approaching the 100,000 mark and with the coverage ExplorOz has over Australia I think it would have to be a very isolated location to have to create a Private Place when creating a Trek. Thanks for the info you have posted here
AnswerID: 643625

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, May 19, 2023 at 16:10

Friday, May 19, 2023 at 16:10
I for one don’t want my private places made public, big negative.
AnswerID: 643626

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 07:54

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 07:54
Hi Wicket,

I would have thought that by not sharing, you would keep your private places private.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923325

Sponsored Links