Where have all the tourists gone

Submitted: Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 16:07
ThreadID: 145649 Views:2429 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
National and state park bureaucrats have to take some responsibility for this with their impossible online park camping registration systems.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-16/queensland-tourism-suffers-lowest-numbers-since-pre-pandemic/102345870

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 17:22

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 17:22
Absolutely correct Wicket - the bureaucrats are reaping the rewards of their own stupidity.
Although of course the wider issue of outback tourism numbers declining can be explained by international travel opening up.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643593

Follow Up By: Kenell - Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 17:27

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 17:27
..... not to mention the price of fuel, interest rates, inflation etc etc.

Kennel
FollowupID: 923288

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 17:25

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 17:25
What have national parks got to do with that article? They did not even get a mention in it. Whilst we have a high proportion of members who frequent national parks they are of little importance regarding accommodation for the majority of travellers. Whilst caravanning is a large sector of the tourist sector, it is not the majority of travellers. The largest numerical part of the travellers are the non caravanners who have shorter travel periods. Those people are the ones that will be attracted to the cheap airfares.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643594

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 20:04

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 20:04
Agree Peter. As annoying as they may be, booking hassles would be near the bottom of the list I reckon. The article mentioned a few obvious reasons, there are plenty more as we can already see from the small sample of comments here. Doubt many/any on this forum would cancel trips entirely because of booking difficulties.
FollowupID: 923334

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 17:37

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 17:37
From what I have being hearing they are all in WA , the unreliable weather and poor road conditions on the East has tempted many to look West this year
AnswerID: 643595

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 11:35

Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 11:35
I would agree Pedro.
We are currently on WA coast north of Perth and are finding the caravan parks at near full capacity. In several cases we were accepted as non-booked arrivals only because we did not require a powered site. Most rigs on the road are caravans or motorhomes with few camper trailers. Blimey, there are some huge rigs being towed around.
And the weather for the past several weeks has been absolutely perfect here. Heading toward home in Qld in a couple of days so hope it improves there before our return.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923297

Reply By: Briste - Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 09:12

Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 09:12
The recent floods in NW Qld have caused me to change my plans for this year, and I bet I'm not alone.
AnswerID: 643606

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 09:55

Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 09:55
Its just too hard to pay 1500 a month extra on the house, 300 extra on power, 100 extra on water, 100 extra on rates, 300 extra on food, 100 extra to fill the car up, and then drive to a prebooked site in a NP, where theres no help if its taken, no refund if its wet or something comes up....
AnswerID: 643607

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 14:58

Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 14:58
Might give some of the parks fauna and flora a break from noisy tourists, rubbish, anti-social behaviour and vehicles.
AnswerID: 643615

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Friday, May 19, 2023 at 20:33

Friday, May 19, 2023 at 20:33
Good observation - Australian campsites are on duty 12 months of the year - they never get a chance to recover, they just keep on deteriorating - its refreshing to visit say, Canada or NZ where at least the bush gets a winter reprieve from the onslaught of abuse and pollution. It sad that National Parks dont consider the deterioration of some of their natural "assets" and let them rest up at times.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923323

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:02

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:02
Hi Kerry,

In Australia’s Top End there are very few tourists in the “wet season”. This is when those National Parks get some respite.

Do you think that all the US & Canadian National Parks get a respite over winter? Quite a lot that are in the Snow Fields are not only used in winter as “Ski Resorts”, but also in the summer for camping as well. One of our forum members lives in the US, she may be able to confirm this.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923326

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:07

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:07
Tourism does drop to a certain degree in some top end parks but there are still vistors, fishermen and others into the parks. The rest of Australias parks also see sking in winter and hiking in summer monthss. As the wet season is a really stressful time for fauna they dont really get much of a respite. I see on many forums the uneducated are calling for parks to allow them to take their dogs into the parks with them. Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed..
FollowupID: 923327

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 10:59

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 10:59
Macca, I spend considerable time exploring, hiking and camping in the Pacific north West and British Columbia as my son is an adventurer and a long term resident there so pretty familiar with the outdoor culture there… Snow is an amazing buffer for soils and vegetation from erosion and traffic and the spring thaw rejuvenates amazingly - I can’t speak for the warmer dryer south of US but climate, water and rest does wonder for any landscape - tourists anywhere are part of a huge problem for any remaining ecosystem on the planet. Not sure if you are doubting what I’m saying or just want to be contrarian- my point really is the the Australian bush, habitats and wildlife are really on the edge….and they want to bring another million or more people here in the near future and consequently clear more bush, feed and sustain them - where does it end? As explorers of the diminishing wild areas of Australia we need to be a lot more proactive and supportive of ideas and actions in trying to preserve what is left. It’s tragic seeing so many beautiful environments simply gone! Hard to be silent for a bloke who had been brought up on the road since the mid 1960s
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923331

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 11:43

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 11:43
Australia has the worst record in the world for mammalian species extiction. Mans greed, politicians greed and lack of morals does little to help. Throw in a good dose of the self entitled mob and its no wonder the planet is going shite.
FollowupID: 923332

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 15:02

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 15:02
Hi Kerry,

No offence intended, and I don’t doubt what you say is correct for some National Parks in the US & Canada, I was merely pointing out that some of the National Parks are still used all year round, which you intimated was not the case.

I have also personally seen similar looking vistas on Fraser Island KGari, The Otways in Victoria, Litchfield National Park in the NT.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923333

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 20:27

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 20:27
As someone mentioned don't see the where National parks come into it besides that It's just part of the cycle like everything else they have good times and slower times nothing unusual just something for the media to jump on.
AnswerID: 643633

Sponsored Links