EOTopo 2023 Preview Avail Now

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2023 at 21:17
ThreadID: 145377 Views:3388 Replies:14 FollowUps:46
This Thread has been Archived
Get a sneak peak preview of our NEW MAPS!
Jump over to the EOTopo page on our website and open the online map view - in the top corner tap the EOTopo button and switch to EOTopo 2023 Preview. Pan around and zoom and compare. We are still refining the stylesheet and checking for issues so please let us know if you find any map errors before its too late.

NOTE: whilst we are still making revisions, these will not appear in the Preview. This is just a draft to test the online output system display using content as at yesterday 27th Feb.

We are open for corrections however please respect our workflow and ONLY send corrections via the official communication channels we offer as listed on our website in the About page

EOTopo 2023 is nearing imminent release pending finalisation and ETA is mid March.

We anticipate you'll have many questions but that's not for today. Everything you need to know will be forthcoming when we are ready. For now, please just look at the data and styling. There are MAJOR changes and improvements.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne K2 - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 06:06

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 06:06
Hi Michelle, new maps look great! Is it possible to get a beta version, we are heading off to the NSW and Vic high country on about the 12th of March?
The 10 mt topography is a huge improvement.
AnswerID: 642961

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 11:34

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 11:34
Thanks Wayne but possibly can't help you out with the request. Once we get the map ready for release to the app it will be ready for all.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922573

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 11:27

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 11:27
You show the main road north of Kununurra as dirt going into the Northern Territory…Moonamang Road.

It’s fully bitumen all the way and well into the Northern Territory.

On the Heading Cliffs Road, north of Renmark, the bitumen ends at the actual Headings Cliff Lookout and then graded dirt through to the River Murray.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642965

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 11:34

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 11:34
Brilliant, thanks. I'll fix that today. Keep it coming :)
MM

PS EDIT: Stephen, do you have recent first hand knowledge of the Moonamang Rd extent of the tar north? From the satellite maps it appears only to go to Marralum? The extension of seal also seems to take a slight deviation, and is called Legune Rd from there but the unsealed part exists too. The new tar part didn't exist on OSM but I've added it to our own roads database for appearance in EOTopo 2023.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922574

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:20

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:20
From Kununurra, we only went a few kilometres into the NT, then turned back, but the bitumen kept on going into the distance.

One of the other roads I can not compared is the loop road around Litchfield.

I was using your 144k and the Hema 150k last year, a new bridge had been built and a new road has been built for the new bridge.

My moving maps were showing the new road well off from what we were using.

I will dig out my track log and email it to you so you can overlay on your new map to see if you have that new section.

Cheers
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922585

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:43

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:43
Ok sure, but the raster 144K maps were discontinued long ago so would be many editions behind what is being used in the Traveller app. So I would expect the 144K map you had is possibly not representative of the dataset we have been using for a good few years with EOTopo 2021. EOTopo 2021 is a 2K Topo scale - much more zoom/detail than 144K or 150K so any errors in alignments are very obvious.

So yes, if you upload the Track Log it you can select the EOTopo 2021 base map so you can see if your tracking followed that alignment and if there is anything there to adjust.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922586

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 16:18

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 16:18
Hi Stephen,
Regarding Heading Rd north of Renmark, we are using the data for that from OSM. I checked the tags in OSM on this road and as you say it reflects "paved" to the lookout, then "compacted" from there to the river. In our stylesheet we treat "compacted" the same as "paved" which we represent with a solid line. However if OSM had this road surface listed as "gravel" or "unpaved" it would appear on our maps as a broken line.

The road surface type definitions are many and it depends on the stylesheet used by the publisher how they are treated on the map. We treat compacted, paved, concrete, asphalt, cobblestone, etc. all as a solid line as it indicates that the road surface has been improved and is modified and is not a raw, natural untreated road surface. Those surfaces are displayed with a broken line. eg. gravel, dirt, sand, grass, and unpaved. The majority of road surface types in the data sets are defined as simply "paved" or "unpaved" but occasionally you get one that has a particular definition like "compacted". Its all in how we treat that definition in our stylesheet.

I am a contributor to OSM so if you have local knowledge and think that compacted section should be redefined to gravel or unpaved I can do that.

I noticed that that section of road is OSM also has a different name - and could be an error? The data shows it changes name at the lookout from Heading Road to Harding road, and the Lookout is labelled as Hardings Lookout..... is this a data error? If so and you have local knowledge you can contribute this change to OSM yourself but in fact, I am a registered contributor and can do that if you can verify this for me.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922588

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 19:38

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 19:38
As far as I can remember, it was signposted “Headings Cliff Road”

As for the Lookout, it is definitely “Headings Cliff Lookout” named in honour of the Heading family that donated the land to be used as the lookout.

I now see what you are referring to with the road styles, but novice like me and if it was the first time I saw the map, I would have related the solid red line as all bitumen, as there is no indication that the road will go from bitumen to dirt from the lookout.

I have also sent you an email with my track file for the Litchfield section I was talking about.

Cheers.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922590

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 19:58

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 19:58
Thanks for the reply Stephen,
Yes I had my suspicions with the naming I will sort that. I will fix it at the data source.
As for the road styling - the surface tag is compacted and this surface type is a considered "sealed" but let me know if this is incorrect and if the surface is actually better tagged as dirt or gravel then I can fix that at the source which would be reflected in our styling output and would change it on EOTopo 2023. EDIT to ADD: I've decided to change the source as discussed to "unpaved". Naming also fixed.

I did get your email with the Litchfield section, and can happily confirm this is already correct in EOTopo 2023.

Appreciate the interest, if you have any more please continue to let us know.
Regards Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922591

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 06, 2023 at 07:10

Monday, Mar 06, 2023 at 07:10
Michelle,

From what I’ve read elsewhere, the bitumen road from Kununurra mentioned above, does in fact go right to Legune Station.
Linda & I travelled it as far as the Keep River bridge, an impressive structure, back in May 2022.

Other research indicated the bitumen was to extend to a prawn farm situated past Legune, but as this enterprise has been deemed to be not financially viable, am not sure if further work was carried out?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922687

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 13:54

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 13:54
All those blue salt lakes is quite disconcerting. A lighter shade of blue or different hue altogether maybe? Probably too much work at this point for this rev.
AnswerID: 642967

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:25

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:25
Not at all too late - we can change anything but I'd like to check what you're viewing first. Can you give me an area for example that you're looking at? I know the online output display on the website is a little different to the end product that is downloaded in the app but David will know how to interpret that based on looking at your example. Just tell me the name of the area/location and we'll check it out. Thanks.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922577

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:35

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:35
Lake Torrens/Frome SA for example Michelle.

But I don't want to impose my preferences on others, was more a "testing the waters" (or not) comment.

To be consistently accurate all salt lakes would need a tag. Many do obviously have (plenty of) water in them at times.
FollowupID: 922578

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:46

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:46
Salt Lakes form part of the "non-perennial" water bodies data. The stylesheet applies a light blue colour to this data element currently, similar to how it was in the 2021 edition. What you see in terms of tags and outlines, shading and labels varies based on the zoom level. I don't see any issue this end, but please feel welcome to take a screen shot as it might be different on your end (for whatever reason) and send to me via the suggested email I gave at the top of this thread. Thanks. MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922579

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:53

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:53
FollowupID: 922580

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:56

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:56
It's light blue here? Not "bright" blue?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922581

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:57

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 14:57
Nice that the copy/paste worked for images on the forum. Three thumbs up from me. Or was that just because it was an 'internal' action?

Btw there is a large blue polygon near Lake Wallace in western NSW (SA border region) which looks like an artefact.
FollowupID: 922582

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:02

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:02
Could be device specific. When I wrote bright I meant the shade was quite strong especially for that category, approaching (maybe 80% of) the blue bands for forum replies.
FollowupID: 922583

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:04

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:04
FollowupID: 922584

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:46

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 15:46
This particular lake is a perennial one, so unlike Lake Frome it has a slightly different blue (darker). But ah yes we've just review that is indeed some sort of error, an extra data feature that shouldn't be there. Fixed thanks. If you find any more like that let us know.

Also, Lake Frome is also a reserve so there are 2 data elements here being green for parks/reserve layer and blue for the water body layer so could be slightly altering your eye's perception of it with green/blue overlayed - if you zoom back out to level 5 through to 6 Lake Frome will only show the parks/reserve layer (green), as water bodies don't start appearing until level 7. And 2 types of blue for the perennial, non-perennial. In the app, you can see the legend for all elements by going to the map layers tool - and selecting the Dynamic Legend, - then when you click any area of the map, it will show all data layers being represented at that specific spot you have clicked.

Here's EOTopo 2021 in the app, with dynamic legend ON and clicking the blue area showing Lake Frome. In this map, the data was Native Title and non perennial. Native title is represented in a pale hue of brown/yellow/tan.

I can't give you a screen shot of EOTopo 2023 with the dynamic legend as I don't have a working version of the map in the Traveller app yet. But I can see that the data has changed and Lake Frome is now a Reserve/Non-Perennial. Gets complicated but thanks for taking a look and taking the time to give feedback. Cheers MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922587

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 07:41

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 07:41
Hi Guys,

Just my “two cents worth” is it possible to use a light pink with white “dashed” horizontal lines across it to signify “salt” lakes?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922592

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 21:50

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2023 at 21:50
I’d like to see those perennial salt lakes pink rather than a somewhat misleading blue, most of them are pink at some time , can’t say I’ve ever seen a blue one.
AnswerID: 642971

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 10:57

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 10:57
I'm not sure why but it doesn't work for me.

I click on the EOTopo 2023 preview & the EOTopo map I have open doesn't change.

I then click the + sign to zoom in & the map 'disappears' leaving me with just a blue background.
Clicking the - sign to zoom back out - still an all blue screen.

I have tried with the EOTopo map showing several different areas & same each time.

I am using Mac OS 12.6.3 & browser is Brave (latest version). Also tried with latest version of Firefox with same result.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 642973

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 11:26

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 11:26
Yep same today.. was working yesterday. Today I get the same as you.
FollowupID: 922593

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 12:52

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 12:52
Guys,

Try it now - I was updating the style sheet. You may need to clear some browser cache as I typically do not use a cache busting rendering function for this as it does not change much (except for now).

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922594

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 15:18

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 15:18
Hi David, I tried again, (a bit after 2pm) unfortunately with the same result. Blue Screen when trying the 2023 preview

In one browser (Brave) I cleared the cache & tried again , but this time even the current EOTopo wouldn't load properly. All I got was this.

but got the normal EOTopo in Firefox in which I hadn't cleared the cache

???
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 922597

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 16:32

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 16:32
I see by your screen shot that you are only zoomed in to 4.1 Try zooming in to 8.1 and the differen layers should start to appear.
FollowupID: 922600

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 16:46

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 16:46
Thanks Dick, I'd tried that & it only enlarged what you can see in my first screenshot - ie no further layers appeared.

Note that this is only in Brave (Chrome) since I cleared the cache as suggested here.

In another browser, Firefox, which has the same blue screen issue with the 2023 preview as Brave, but in which I did not clear the cacheEoTopo looks like it always has (with layers).

FollowupID: 922601

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 19:46

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 19:46
Help!

FollowupID: 922608

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 21:05

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 21:05
I now have EOTopo in my Brave browser again. How is a complete mystery to me, it is not the result of anything I have done.

However the 2023 preview that others here appear to be enjoying is not there for me - as I described in my first post above.

FollowupID: 922611

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 09:12

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 09:12
And 'kaboom', just like that, this morning all is normal, AND I now have the 2023 preview (& very nice it is too!).

Thank you if you changed something to make it possible David. It makes no sense to me that I couldn't see it previously in different browsers, but ..........well I can now!

EDIT: Have just spent a while having a look around on the preview ....Wow! It looks great - a huge improvement! Love it!

FollowupID: 922613

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 14:08

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 14:08
Yep it was me that broke it yesterday. e said we would not update the base data for the preview - but I did and I stuffed it up and had to do it twice (takes a few hours) it was finished last night about 8PM my time and I cleared the cache and everything should be right now.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922621

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 12:57

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 12:57
Thanks for your input folks and yes as always your input is most welcomed and in a lot of cases actioned (if it makes sense). Anyway I have this AM updating the rendering style sheet (not the map data) but I have updated the non perennial water bodies to a light pink colour that seems to work. Comments and thought welcome.

If you are having trouble rendering the updates then please clear your browser cache, you do not need to clear you passwords or cookies etc just cached images and files.
David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642975

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:20

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:20
Much better, and more appropriate particularly for salt lakes imo David.
FollowupID: 922595

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 13:05

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 13:05
Michelle
Sorry to bother you, but I've been trying to send you a message via the help desk and it doesn't work. Eventually I get a please login and then it doesn't recognise my login details.
Am attaching a screenshot about the new maps ......... or at least trying to.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642976

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:38

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:38
I stumbled on a nice clean way of posting screenshots yesterday Jim. It was from EO to EO forum so may not always work. This sample from SMH did.

1. Press your 'PrtScrn' key (take care no personal info shows in the image)

2. In your forum reply window select 'Images&Files' as usual

3. Put your cursor in the URL/Address, paste (ctrl-v) and 'Enter' (your screen dump must be the last thing in your copy/cut cache aka clipboard)

4. In the next screen add your image title/text, click the 'SAVE' button and you will see something like this in your reply: [g i]201920[g i] (I've added a space between the gi so the text shows up in my post)

5. Finish your reply, click 'Submit' as usual, and voila the images appears in your posted reply.

FollowupID: 922596

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 15:19

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 15:19
Thanks Bazooka, but I can't access the Help desk, that's the problem.
Pretty sure I can do the screenshot thing, but can't access the Help desk.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922598

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 14:57

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 14:57
Bazooka, that has always been the way to post images to the Forum :)

Personally I never use print screen on a PC because I want to only take a portion so I use the Windows Snipping Tool. It's a free download tool - you then select the area on your screen to copy (rectangle drag) and it is instantly copied to your clipboard to paste into a document OR you can save it as an image format to attach or upload. Snipping tool also offers a few basic tools to allow you to draw lines/circles etc ontop of the image before you paste or save.

Screen shots can be taken on mobile devices and iPads and tablets just by holding down the Power key and the volume down buttons at the same time - takes a copy of your screen and saves it as an image into your photo gallery. You'd be amazed at home many times people think they have to use their phone to take a photo of their tablet screen!!

Hope this helps,
Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922624

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 20:09

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 20:09
Thanks David. Useful tips. I've used the Images&Files facility before to select online and file system images, never thought to cut and paste the clipboard directly into the URL window. I use Irfanview to edit screen shots then save to file. Windows Snipping will save some time.
FollowupID: 922630

Reply By: Member BarryG - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:02

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:02
Hi guys,
Love the new 10m contours!
There is track near me, just west of Anglesea, Vic that is called Messmate Track. This is shown as solid red but is definitely gravel. There is currently a locked gate at the top the hill (South end) where it meets Strip track, so there is no access from that end but I'm not sure about the other end.
AnswerID: 642978

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 16:39

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 16:39
I have fixed this at the source and will be correct in EOTopo 2023

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922628

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 15:39

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 15:39
Been trying to use the Help desk but can't get through.
Wanted to ask if the "green" section adjacent to the Simpson Desert area should extend into the NT.
Will try to enter the screenshot here.
Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642980

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 15:48

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 15:48
Looks like the Queensland section is Munga Thirri. But the lower section changes when you zoom.

Might just be me ........ or my old MAC computer !!

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922599

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 18:11

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 18:11
I have just seen this Jim but what error are you reporting? I don't see an issue? Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922605

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 18:27

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 18:27
I'll see if I can upload a couple of screenshots .

OK, so when I took screenshots the "problem" seems to have resolved itself, and there's no changes when I zoom. Before, the green patches seemed to be in different places and different sizes, as I zoomed in , but all seems fine now.

So ......... no problem after all.
Sorry to have wasted your time.

Thanks
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922607

Reply By: Member BarryG - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 16:46

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 16:46
And golf courses have each hole identified!
AnswerID: 642981

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 18:12

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 18:12
Yes, there's A LOT more data now :)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922606

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 20:30

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 20:30
I just checked Wembley, to see if I should start playing golf, and the club house is listed as Wimbley lol

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922610

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 14:18

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 14:18
Equinox - LOL you are right the club house was spelt wrong. I have updated this and it will be correct in the release. Pity the entire hole layout for that course has not been fully entered. If I was not spending hours and hours on road network updates I would plug these holes in so you can join and use our app and maps to play the course. Ode to have a clone or more hours per day....
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922623

Reply By: Member - Joe V2 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 21:24

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 21:24
Hi David & Michelle
On the Gibb River Rd, between Kimbolton Rd and Lennard River Rest Area, the road definition seems to disappear at zoom level 11 and above.
AnswerID: 642987

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 14:11

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 14:11
Joe we had a data problem last night would you mind checking what you saw again and let us know.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922622

Reply By: Member - Joe V2 - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 15:51

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 15:51
Checked again and what I see is still there. There is a section on the Gibb River Rd, between Kimbolton Rd and Lennard River Rest Area, where road definition disappears at zoom level 11 and above. I can only see the road between zoom level 4.6 and 10.8
AnswerID: 643003

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 15:59

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 15:59
Got it Joe - yep the road does not exist at the moment due to the flooding up north. We are keeping an eye on this but now and for the foreseeable time there is NO road there. You can also see the Fitzroy Crossing is now a barge, also because the bridge is gone (and will be at least 12-18 months). The section east from Willaire is also a single lane dirt track (with guided/scheduled east/west travel times) for the Great Northern Highway - this is meant to be re-opening in March at some time....

The roads are very fluid up there at the moment. This is one reason we are holding off a little on the release and/or are looking at a mid year update or similar.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922626

Follow Up By: Member - Joe V2 - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 16:26

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 16:26
Wow, I'm impressed. Didn't realize your maps were going to be so dynamic.
FollowupID: 922627

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2023 at 06:35

Saturday, Mar 04, 2023 at 06:35
Hi David,

Was the term “the roads are pretty fluid up there at the moment” given the flooding a pun intended?

If not, it was still pretty accurate. :-)

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922631

Reply By: Briste - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 18:07

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 18:07
A minor point. The roughly 10kms of road between The Outback Highway and Beltana - Beltana road - in the northern Flinders was sealed about a year go. The bitumen ends at the t-junction just as you reach the town. The roads in Beltana are still all dirt.
AnswerID: 643007

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Mar 04, 2023 at 20:05

Saturday, Mar 04, 2023 at 20:05
Much appreciated - this correction has now been done and will appear in the EOTopo 2023 mapset.
Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922660

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Mar 09, 2023 at 12:36

Thursday, Mar 09, 2023 at 12:36
Everything very quiet here. Is there something amiss ??

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643040

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Mar 09, 2023 at 13:27

Thursday, Mar 09, 2023 at 13:27
Who is this addressed to Jim?
The original post requested that changes be submitted to us via Help Desk which some people have done so you wont see those, but we have responded to all that have posted here too.

We are busy working on the final mapping revisions and hoping for released some time next week. You can expect your next communication from us to come as a Newsletter, plus we'll create a new post in the Forum, and in the Facebook group (ExplorOz Traveller Community). For now, we have no more to say until we get the product finished.... we are flat out busy!

Just yesterday, we removed the 2021 map data from the website display of Places, Treks, Track Logs and the EOTopo page so no need now to switch to Preview, although you are still only getting the working Preview as the final product is not yet "final". In addition, we now have a "new" style for Dark Mode - to view this, click the little half-moon symbol at the top right of the EOTopo map (when shown in the webpages). So this something new for you to enjoy looking at.

None of this has been rolled out to the Traveller app yet in any form, eg. not the webapp. We are working towards this for next week (fingers crossed).

Many thanks to all for your support and updates.
Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922695

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Mar 09, 2023 at 13:54

Thursday, Mar 09, 2023 at 13:54
Thanks Michelle

It was a general inquiry. There hadn't been any "official" comments lately and I was becoming concerned that something may have happened , private or commercial, that was affecting the website.

Your response has allayed my concerns, and very glad that all is well.
Looking forward to the new release.
Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922696

Sponsored Links