Anne Beadell and Connie Sue Highway - Track Conditions

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2023 at 22:02
ThreadID: 145364 Views:3350 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Has anyone travelled the sections of theAnne Beadell highway from Laverton to Neale Junction, and/or Connnie Sue Highway to Warburton recently and able to comment on the track conditions?

Thanks,

JP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Feb 24, 2023 at 06:40

Friday, Feb 24, 2023 at 06:40
Haven’t done ABH, but we travelled up the Connie Sue back in 2018, as far as Parallel Road No.2.

North of the Reserve, there a number of washouts, detours & some “scratchy” bits to negotiate. Some amazing flora through that section, bit hard to keep eyes on the road.Check out Point Lillian too.

Good water at Copper Hills bore too. If I don’t forget, I’ll dig up a couple of photos tonight.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642936

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Feb 25, 2023 at 06:32

Saturday, Feb 25, 2023 at 06:32

Generally, the track was good then & an enjoyable drive.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922547

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Feb 24, 2023 at 13:38

Friday, Feb 24, 2023 at 13:38
Try these links to Places. Did CSH south from Laverton in 2018 so who knows if it's been graded. Horrible corrugations as the pix show. From Neale Jn went west to Laverton and the ABH track was much better. Be prepared for the worst case scenario. Don't take a van unless the sides are full chequerplate and the windows have close fitting awnings!

Track conditions 1

Track conditions 2

Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 642938

Follow Up By: Member - John P51 - Friday, Feb 24, 2023 at 15:04

Friday, Feb 24, 2023 at 15:04
Thank you - I won't be towing, but possibly travelling solo so just looking for an idea of what to expect.

The recent rain the area could present a bit of an issue, but I'll have to make a call on that closer to the time. Worst case, I use the Great Central road instead.
FollowupID: 922545

Reply By: Member - Stevemc181 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2023 at 00:37

Sunday, Feb 26, 2023 at 00:37
I did the ABH in May 2022, no dramas, it’s mostly pretty good dirt road/track from Laverton to Neale Junction.
AnswerID: 642941

Reply By: MichaelR - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 13:40

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 13:40
Hi JP,
We did the Connie Sue from Warburton down to Neale Junction and then the AB east to Coober Pedy in July last year. Obviously you are only interested in the first part of that trip. We had come down the Canning and Gunbarrel to get there. I only tell you this to give you a point of comparison. The Connie Sue is in pretty bad shape, or it was then, mainly due to the corrugations. These were worse on the CS than on any other part of that entire trip.
That's not to say you shouldn't do it of course but do be prepared for a pretty rough time, unless they have graded it, which I doubt. Why break the habits of a lifetime!
In an idle moment I calculated that from Warburton to Coober we covered in the region of 3 million corrugations. Might be worthwhile taking spare shocks. Depending on your vehicle I would also humbly suggest it is not too overloaded.
All the best
AnswerID: 642999

Sponsored Links