Water Leaking From HVAC Housing Onto Passenger's Side Floor

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 20:46
ThreadID: 145333 Views:1937 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2004 100 series and have just experienced water appearing on the passenger’s side floor. This is leaking from the HVAC housing. At the time this occurred, there was no water dripping from the evaporator drain tube.

I have removed the cover from the evaporator housing but this all looks clean inside. I ran a flexible curtain wire up the drain tube outlet and then went on a 1 hour drive. Water was now dripping from the drain tube and nothing inside. I made a return 1 hour trip the same day and all good.

Today with higher humidity I had water dripping inside on the passenger’s floor again AND water dripping from the drain pipe in the firewall. I think that I have a partial blockage at the drain tube.

My big question is, can I cut a 1” (25mm) access hole into what I believe is the “boss” in the housing located and easily seen from the vehicles interior (just above the carpet line). I believe that is in line with the drain tube outlet? My intention is to gain access to whatever is blocking the outlet, clear it and then bond a blanking panel over the access hole that I would cut.

Does anyone have an HVAC system out of a 100 series and could check what is on the inside of this “boss”? I will try to upload 2 photos of the area I am referring to. One of my photos has a white sticker with a cross on it which is where I would cut my access hole.

Many thanks in advance for any help. PS, I have researched this and found various suggestions but none referring to gaining access as I have asked above.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dindy - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 20:56

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 20:56
Common problem with these vehicles, drain is blocked. Get a length of whipper snipper line, slide under passenger side of vehicle just forward of the firewall and you will see the drain tubeing hanging there. Gently push the whipper snipper line in and out of this and clear any debris stuck there.
AnswerID: 642858

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2023 at 21:10

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2023 at 21:10
It may be also an idea to crawl under the vehicle and find the ac drain a clear it from underneath as well. You will probably find it is blocked with mud.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642863

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Thursday, Feb 16, 2023 at 09:27

Thursday, Feb 16, 2023 at 09:27
Should be possible to somehow flush the unit without needing to resort to drilling holes, I would talk to an automotive air conditioning service company or a Toyota dealer.

Another possibility might be to first clear the tube again, then pump some clean water up the tube and then let it drain a few times.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642874

Reply By: Tom C6 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 13:16

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 13:16
Hi Steve.

Your problem is likely a leak from the cover itself if the drain tube is not blocked.

The lower section of the cover should have a small rubber seal - either it is missing, perished or you have not screwed the cover back on tightly enough.

Fairly common issue with 100 series cruisers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tom.
AnswerID: 642977

Sponsored Links