Madigan Line

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 08:12
ThreadID: 145330 Views:2052 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Is it possible to use a long wheel base 4WD, Chevi?
What is the heaviest weight vehicle anyone has driven across?
Cheers
Living the dream

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 13:59

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 13:59
Second question first: am sure there’s been numerous Oka/Unimog/Hino/Isuzu/Canter sized trucks across there over the years? Someone else may know for sure.

We did a run over the Madigan in 2017 and due to an early start from a camp near Hale River, we managed to get ahead of another group that contained an F250, plus a couple of trailers. Don’t think they had much idea, as they were running high tyre pressures and the chatter on Ch 10 was almost constant, as they were having more than a little difficulty.

The problem with the F250 was the aircraft carrier sized bonnet! As they crested a dune, they couldn’t see which way the track went so were being called over dune, “right”, “left”, “straight ahead” etc. One of our group diplomatically suggested they use another UHF channel.

Other than the problem with track direction on the sandhills, drop tyre pressures to mid teens & you shouldn’t have any major isssues.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642853

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 15:48

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 15:48
Yes Bob, the track direction-change at the crest can be a problem. On our first trip across the Simpson we learned to have the co-pilot hold onto the 'Jesus' bar, lean well forward and scream "Left...Right or... Straight" as the case may be. Even so we missed a 'Lefty' and tore straight down the dune off-track, incurring a gut-wrenching thump from the front end. However, when I determined that we had not left the front axle behind I let out a mighty "YAAYYYY".
I think it probably better to err to 'straight ahead' rather than mistakenly head down off-track at an angle and risk a rollover.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 922455

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 18:06

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 18:06
As for tyre pressures, some people and groups have no idea what so ever.

One of our solo east west drives, we we doing our own thing easy and then the cb chatter started……this is my third try and still can not get over….

Then as we found out later, the so called totally hopeless group leader pipes out, try dropping your tyre pressures down to 35 psi…….

We immediately thought what the hell as we were just idling up the east faced dunes with no dramas what so ever.

We caught up with the group at Eyre Creek and had a chat to a couple of the vehicles drivers. Their first comment was how much trouble were we having going solo.

I then told them a few homes truths, with they could not believe. Told them to immediately drop their tyres down to 16 psi and go from there.

It turned out there were all Simpson virgins, a couple took my advise, while the others went and asked their group leader…..it was a paid $6000 tag along from Mackay in Queensland..

The group leader told those that asked, who do you trust, me the so called experienced leader or someone that thinks he knows.

This pissed me off and told those guys if they don’t drop, they will continue to have issues on all the dunes…..there were 12 in the convey, so you can imagine the condition of the track by the time the group went through.

Turned out that 3 of them took my word and found out later further out in the desert that all but the 3 that dropped their tyre pressures were having problems and the 3 that took my advise drove up first time, every dune.

I kept in contact with one of the guys after the trip and was told there was a mutiny two thirds across the desert. The 3 drivers that took my advise, all left the group and arrived 2 days in front of the others at Dalhousie.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922457

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 20:47

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 20:47
Stephen,

It's hard to believe in this day and age. But if you fancy half an hour or so of entertainment check the "I got bogged at Inskip Point" Facebook page.

People bogged up to the the gunwhales while others drive straight past.

Did they ever wonder why?

FollowupID: 922458

Reply By: Member - Bogart (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 14:17

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 14:17
Thank you Bob
Yes the bonnet is an issue??
Living the dream

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642854

Reply By: Member - Bogart (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 23:32

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2023 at 23:32
Thank you to everyone who has replied. Don’t worry we run our tyres low! Always have done, no need to creat a mess for those behind.
Once again Thank You all ??
Living the dream

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642859

Sponsored Links