Goldstream Sapphire Series 2001

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2023 at 13:57
ThreadID: 145266 Views:2333 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I’ve been looking at a Off-road version of the above van with Bag-boy airbag suspension.

I can’t seem to find much online about this model. Any directs? Does it have an aluminium frame etc?

What does the suspension operate like long term, can you get replacement bags (it has no springs, just the bags)?

Thanks in a advance. I appreciate it is a 22 year old van.

Cheers for help and steers from knowledgeable peeps.

Andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jan 21, 2023 at 17:27

Saturday, Jan 21, 2023 at 17:27
All the Goldstream vans Of that age I looked at had meranti frames if the frame type was specified. There were very few vans of that age that were built with aluminium frames. I doubt that it was delivered with airbag suspension. I don't remember any manufacturer who supplied airbag suspension that long ago. I seem to remember Golf being the first to introduce them in the mid 90s. To ask further about the suspension you will have to find out who the manufacturer of that suspension.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642695

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Jan 22, 2023 at 08:24

Sunday, Jan 22, 2023 at 08:24
Hi Andrew,

Obvious question perhaps, but have you tried contacting Goldstream? As Nomadic Navara has stated, most Goldstream vans have timber frames.

As for the air bag suspension, I have never heard of that brand.
Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642698

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 22, 2023 at 11:59

Sunday, Jan 22, 2023 at 11:59
Been plenty of trucks operating for at least 20 years with airbag suspension. Success or failure is often determined by operating conditions, but I’d suggest that 10 years would be a reasonable lifespan for the bags. Maybe more in an ideal climate?

There would be a number of suspension outlets that could supply replacement bags. Firestone & Airbag Man are a couple I can think of.

If you buy this van & depending on the condition of the bags, I’d suggest you carry a couple of spare bags. They’re quite light, and having spares might save you an extended period waiting, in a situation that’s not to your liking.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642701

Follow Up By: Briste - Sunday, Jan 22, 2023 at 14:55

Sunday, Jan 22, 2023 at 14:55
I now carry a spare airbag for my Karavan after I met another couple in that sort of predicament. But I wouldn't have said that the spare was light, given its size.
FollowupID: 922292

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 23, 2023 at 06:40

Monday, Jan 23, 2023 at 06:40
Not familiar with the airbags used on caravans Briste, but the larger ones used on trucks are less weight than a 40L Engel, or a 10 stud 11R22.5 trailer wheel, so that’s why I classed the van bag as “light”.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922296

Reply By: Andrew R17 - Thursday, Jan 26, 2023 at 18:59

Thursday, Jan 26, 2023 at 18:59
Thanks for the advice, I would have asked Goldstream but it was the weekend and needed to know to check an aspect of the van. It turns our RHS Rear of van had rotten frame.

The search continues and thanks for the replies. Andrew.
AnswerID: 642732

Sponsored Links