Sandpits, Quarries or Gravel Pits

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 19:17
ThreadID: 145201 Views:2781 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I cannot find any sand pits, gravel pits or quarries that are next to roads in the Legends to select. They are excellent overnight camp stops as they are usually cleared, level and with a bit of a decent track into them, please let me know. Ta Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 22:14

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 22:14
Greg if anyone thinks they are worthy of noting as a camp, they can add them as "Places" - for you to see them, the person creating them needs to ensure they are saved as "ExplorOz" and not just the default "Personal".

To find camps on the map, you need to open the map layers - ensure that Places is ticked, and that you have the All Places on (ie. all filters are cleared) to ensure you don't miss any or apply a filter by tapping the All Places text and then select Free Camps and then only Places that are attributed as free camps will be displayed. We would recommend ensuring that you don't limit your options by being too tight with filters as some camps might be listed as "Rest Areas" - since 2019 there has been a massive increase in the number of Rest Areas being permitted for limited overnight hours of stopping eg. 24, 48 or 72 hours and these would still be listed as Rest Areas not camps so keep your options option with the filters.

Personally, we would never stay at a gravel pit if there was a better option in the bush we could find. I know some people like them because they are flat but to others that isn't as important a criteria as other features. Each to their own.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642522

Follow Up By: John Baas - Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 01:35

Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 01:35
A very wise man once told me that his very wise wife had always advised him that "all camps look the same in the dark".
FollowupID: 922153

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 22:48

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 22:48
Greg : the problem is that a lot of travellers don't up load these type of camp to the webb page .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 642523

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 07:42

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 07:42
I see them marked as Quarries on the map a lot.. not ExplorOz Places.

Often they don't work out, but I have found some absolute crackers of campsites by exploring those little "Quarry" icons that you can see. Not all gravel pits are going to be marked (not even a very small percentage would be marked I bet). In addition to the Quarry icons you just have to start exploring the obscure little tracks you see snaking off the road - you start to get a feel for them after a while.

AnswerID: 642525

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 09:14

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 09:14
Yep, they can make great overnight stops. This was on the Tanami in Western Australia a few kms from the W.A/S.A. border last year. About 200 m off the road.

Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922100

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 15:59

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 15:59
The map rendered Gravel Pits and Quarries is base map data and not Places data. As mentioned by Michelle if you think they are worth adding, then add them as Free Camps and just make mention in the description that it is a Gravel Pit or Quarry etc.

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922110

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 17:13

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 17:13
I saw some commentary elsewhere not long ago about these possible places, in Qld I think. Apparently, you can be fined for camping because many are deemed active places for road aggregate stockpiles.

We have used a few places like that, and considered others, but do understand concerns that authorities may have.

There's one in SA that we've stayed at a couple of times that is a designated Rest Area, a truck parking place and with an aggregate dump right alongside, all using the same roadside entrance. Last time there we parked well away from the dump area, but 2 RV's were parked amongst the piles. We recognized that the existing piles were quite fresh and the area should probably be left alone. At other places it could be obvious that the area is really abandoned.

Late in the evening two B Doubles arrived to dump their aggregate loads. It gave us a bit of a laugh as their sleep was disturbed for some time but the trucks were a bit away from them. It could have been an annoyance to the truckies though as the trailers weren't side tippers, so a lot of maneuvering was required to unhitch and unload each of them.
FollowupID: 922113

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 07, 2023 at 09:50

Saturday, Jan 07, 2023 at 09:50
We utilised this large quarry, near the junction of the GCR & Parallel Road No.2, much to one member of the group’s disgust.

We were visited, just after lights out, by some Indigenous ladies travelling from Kalgoorlie to Warburton, for a funeral. Their vehicle was running a bit hot, red light was on, and after more water & a chat, they were off. Often wondered if they got there?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922118

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2023 at 08:59

Sunday, Jan 08, 2023 at 08:59
I've heard about those Kalgoorlie 'ladies' and their red lights. Stay safe Bob.
FollowupID: 922139

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 08, 2023 at 19:31

Sunday, Jan 08, 2023 at 19:31
Thanks Banjo! I must be slowing down, I missed the "red light/Kalgoorlie" connotation when I typed that. LOL

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922148

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 10:27

Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 10:27
There maybe a good reason for that
Some are on private property an others are most likey shire property they don.t want people in there its a work
Cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 642560

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 10:27

Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 10:27
There maybe a good reason for that
Some are on private property an others are most likey shire property they don.t want people in there its a work site .
Cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 642561

Sponsored Links