Crossing the Nullabor

Submitted: Monday, Jan 02, 2023 at 22:58
ThreadID: 145183 Views:3264 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Along with my elderly mobile home & slightly younger missus, am about to head across the Nullabor, W to E.

This is the first time I've done this for over 40 years.

I hear that diesel is over $3/litre right across the Nullabor, that most roadhouses no longer have mechanics & that camp sites are not clean...........

All this info from people I've met in the pub over the last few weeks!!

Has anyone got any reliable, recent knowledge about the Nullabor crossing? Comments/tips/ideas welcome.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 06:14

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 06:14
Oilrigger, crossed both ways back in October, yes fuel was expensive, dearest was about $3.50 at Nullabor Roadhouse from memory, unfortunately just part of the joys of travelling now. Mechanics, not sure didn't need one. As for the state of campsites, do you mean Free Camp sites or the road house camp sites? We didn't free camp and found the roadhouse sites reasonable, wouldn't say not clean, maybe a little unloved. Good luck and enjoy your trip, from a fellow Oil rigger....
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642463

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 07:17

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 07:17
Things do not change much across that route. They have been the same for the last 15 years or more I have been travelling it. The facilities at the roadhouses are mostly grubby and the dunnies at the free campgrounds get very smelly during busy times. Why are you worried about them anyway? Do you not have facilities in your motorhome? The free campsites tend to be nicer camping areas than the roadhouses.

Regarding mechanical facilities, I have not seen any workshops between Norseman and Nundroo over the period I have been travelling it. (But I do not call into every roadhouse.) I note that that route is now more expensive for fuel than the northern highways. Expensive fuel has always been par for the course across there. Use Petrol Spy for fuel price references. You will note there is a fair difference in prices across there. (With Petrol Spy, set the zoom so the square in the bottom LH corner shows 20 km and you will pick up all the stations as you work your way cross.)

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642464

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 08:49

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 08:49
Crossed it twice last year in September. Can't comment on fuel prices as we have a long range tank and prices fluctuate anyway. We free camped once between Ceduna and Norseman at our favourite spot called 10km Peg in WikiCamps. It has trees and lots of private nooks.
AnswerID: 642465

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 12:56

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 12:56
Gidday

I try not to get too fussed about fuel prices though based on experience I try not to buy at Balladonia as one time I thought the differential to Norseman was excessive compared to places further east.
Maybe I need to get over it!
Mundrabilla has a reputation of being a few cents cheaper than others but if you need fuel you need it.
Was out there visiting the Baxter Cliffs in May and stopped at Balladonia and the feeling was the business had suffered greatly during the Covid border closures. Not much stock in the shop and meal orders needed to be in by 4 if I recall correctly because of a lack of staff to prepare them.
But the shower was hot and there was wood for the communal fire (probably not needed now) and I woke to a staked tyre! Take care in the campground.
Back before Covid the Eucla Motel served a good meal and stocked Cooper's beer if you like that.
Enjoy the trip. Hope it's not too hot for you.

Cheers

AnswerID: 642467

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 19:09

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 19:09
I'm not sure of the latest info, but Mundrabilla may not have any Unleaded fuel. Apparently, they had a problem with the fuel tank and there was commentary that it may not be repaired for some time.
FollowupID: 922047

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 20:01

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 20:01
Phil that was the situation back in September when we passed through. Apparently the "owners" didn't want to spend the $$ to remediate. Sad that it's still that way apparently.

Anyone expecting to get ULP there would be well advised to ring ahead, in case the situation has/hasn't changed.
FollowupID: 922049

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2023 at 20:42
The other thing I recall about Mundrabilla from 2015 was that the mobile reception at the roadhouse and in the campground was a bit dodgy.
Just up the road it was fine.
LOL.
FollowupID: 922051

Reply By: emcamonhols - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 12:04

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 12:04
this may give you a couple of tips, we have just done it E-W and not much has changed since we pulled this together.

https://www.snowys.com.au/blog/nullarbor-plain-guide/
AnswerID: 642490

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 21:35
Another guide is - Nullarbor Net.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 922079

Reply By: Oilrigger - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 19:03

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 19:03
Thanks to everyone who replied to my 'Nullarbor' questions.......all useful! Safe outbacking! Oilrigger
AnswerID: 642500

Reply By: Dusta - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2023 at 19:26

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2023 at 19:26
i have just done a return trip perth -melb- perth week before christmas and just got back . Carry a porta potty if you need a crapper. free camps were fine . TBH pick the less busy ones . There are literally shitloads of spots to camp . Download and spend $7 on wikicamps . Best investment for getting info on each spot .

Roadhouses imo are worse than freecamps . We had some trailer issues on the way back and had to try and get accom at roadhouses and TBH they were worse than any freecamp we stayed in

AnswerID: 642586

Sponsored Links