And Now its Toyota's Turn, who will be next?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 14:04
ThreadID: 145031 Views:10241 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
When VW were caught out with their misleading emission figures, you think the car industry would have taken notice, obviously not.

Now its Toyota's turn, so who will be next?

Toyota face $2,000,000,000 class action over alleged emissions defeat devices
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 08:44

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 08:44
This is staggering news. The damage to reputation will cost far more than what they'll cope in fines etc.

Why did they do it?

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 642039

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 09:50

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 09:50
Will be interesting, they claim it is not software controlled but rather "defeat" devices" have been fitted. My definition of a defeat device is one that either prevents another device working or it in itself prevents what should happen from happening. My Prado is certainly not fitted with such devices.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921468

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 11:38

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 11:38
... that you know of, Leigh.

About 20 years back, Toyota were sprung for a "defeat device" fitted to their WRC cars. The rules stipulated a maximum turbo discharge(?) bore, which scrutineers obviously measured with the engine off. Toyota used a flexible coupling hose which provided the connection that was measured, but which enlarged with the engine running at revs. They were banned for a couple of years.

You just MAY have something that is not readily discernible, as above example illustrates. Never underestimate corporate greed/innovation in circumventing when there's a prize.
FollowupID: 921470

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 14:08

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 14:08
Everyone seems to have forgotten the VW scandal and they are selling plenty of vehicles again, So probably the same will happen for Toyota
FollowupID: 921471

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 16:46

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 16:46
Edit/addendum to my post above. It was turbo INLET restrictor, and 1995. A summary - for anyone interested - isHERE and scroll down to the turbo diagram below the "Toyota's Turbo scandal" heading.

As I said, cheating devices aren't necessarily visible.

And more detail HERE
FollowupID: 921474

Reply By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 11:35

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 11:35
We had a few 2015 - 2018 hilux's in our work fleet and know only too well the DPF issues they had. I highly doubt the 'emissions defeat' claims by the lawyers though - if they had access to such software the bloody DPF's wouldn't have clogged up in the first place.
AnswerID: 642040

Reply By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 12:40

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 12:40
And all you fellows who are fitting EGR blanking plate aren't doing the same thing? Only difference is they got caught.
AnswerID: 642041

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 16:34

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 16:34
I note the article includes the phrase "if Maddens Lawyers are to be believed" ..... that's as big an"if" with lawyers as it is with car companies.
Will wait with interest to see something concrete emerges, or if this is just a beat up by someone chasing a perceived pot of gold.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642042

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 17:24

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 17:24
This story has been reported in a few places, but none of the mainstream media has picked it up so far that I've seen, and I wonder what that means.

All I've seen so far is the statement from the lawyers. I haven't seen any hard testing evidence, such as we had with the VW case, or user complaints, which were legion for the DPF issue. Doesn't mean that there isn't something to it, but it's a bit hard to take it seriously without any evidence.

Interesting, in the UK where as I understand it Euro6 applies, the 2.8L diesel engine has had Adblue since 2016. Not here under Euro5. I wonder how that factors into the mix.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/what-is-adblue-and-why-do-we-use-it/

FollowupID: 921476

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2022 at 23:23

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2022 at 23:23
Agree Wm. It's not unheard of for lawyers or individuals to make ambit claims in the hope that a company will settle/compensate class action participants (and their lawyers) rather than risk drawn out and expensive fights in court. That said, it's arguable for example that Toyota's software solution to its dust ingress/air filter problems simply disguises, rather than provides a real solution to, the problem - a problem that Toyota did not acknowledge (rightly or wrongly, no-one knows) when I last looked more than 12 months ago. A university filtration expert begged to differ on that point iirc.

Anyway, its all pure supposition at this juncture, albeit one with presumably some anecdotal basis - enough for legal firms to fish in Toyota's pond, hoping to use court directives to uncover evidence of intentional cover-ups or deception.
FollowupID: 921482

Reply By: Matthew G3 - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2022 at 11:37

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2022 at 11:37
I have signed up for a possible one for my old 18 DMAX. It was on its third turbo, DPD [DPF] replaced, DPD Sensor replaced, MAP and MAF sensor replaced. Started playing up at 30k. It was bought back on its 3rd coolant leek. They had no idea how to stop the DPD clogging up, at 3 different dealers. It even did a burn 75km from the dealer after getting the new one at HWY speed, after getting a forced burn after fitment. Lost money at by back but i could not take it out of phone range for fear of going into limp mode. Just picked up my new XLT Ranger C/C to start a new build. Fingers crossed.
AnswerID: 642045

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2022 at 19:20

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2022 at 19:20
Misleading people is not new and has been going on for years sadly in all walks of life !

Take my ex wife for example - she mislead me into believing she would be the best thing to happen to me - said she is a very hard worker, motivated, would cook, would clean, loves motorbikes, loves bush camping and 4wdriving and is easy to get on with !

Well - she couldn't cook, didn't clean, had zero motivation, was lazy, hated motorbikes, hated 4wdriving and bush camping ( her idea of roughing it was a motel with no room service ) and just wanted to argue all the time !

Just a thought - any blokes out there want to start a class action against ex wives ?????

Happy and stress free camping !

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 642047

Follow Up By: Kenell - Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 06:54

Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 06:54
OOOOhhhh Gazz, you obviously have a big chin and don't mind leading with it. Ever since the demise of Friday Funnies humour such as this has rarely been appreciated.

I'm off to get some popcorn and a coke before I sit back and enjoy the show.

Ken
FollowupID: 921483

Follow Up By: GarryR - Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 16:08

Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 16:08
yep this is one too watch. My ex took me to the cleaners over and over, but in the end she did not defeat me, because of the support of some very close mates. Yes I started again, and below and behold 10yrs later, I found a lovely women who loved bikes and camping. After 20 years putting up with my style of life (which she never tried to change), she still loves camping and 4x4 trips. and all of that at 73yrs of age. We still tent it on the ground, and rarely drag out the camper trailer. I Think that will change next year as we are getting older, and getting up off the ground is becoming a major execise (tell the truth it's me).
There you go Kennell, you may have started Friday Funnies yet again
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921484

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 17:48

Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 17:48
Hey Kenell

I'm just one of those blokes that says it as he sees it and if people don't like it then bad luck !
Yes, it has got me in trouble a few times but I not only have a big chin I have big shoulders to match lol

It's sad that this over politically correct world we now live in is not really working and causing more problems than good - just my opinion !

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 921485

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 18:16

Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 18:16
Hey GarryR

Good story mate - glad you found the right partner and still doing what you both love.

That's pretty much the same story with me - I had one hard tough upbringing with numerous sad and hard luck stories but one thing my father, who was one very hard, big, tuff, strong and thick headed stubborn German bastard (lol) taught me was - "doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down son, you just make sure you get up again "

Well - I followed his advice and had I not, I probably wouldn't be here today !

Re: Camper trailer - just do it mate and enjoy the luxury - especially at 0300 hours for that annoying but mandatory P with not having to get up off the ground then back down again lol

Thirty plus years of swagging it for me and last year or maybe the year before I bought a camper and now wish I bought it sooner !

Like you I now have a good partner, which makes life more enjoyable ( especially when she doesn't cook lol )

Happy safe and smiling travels mate

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 921486

Sponsored Links