Our Starlink RV just arrived - here's our test vs NBN

Submitted: Friday, Nov 04, 2022 at 19:59
ThreadID: 145027 Views:7959 Replies:9 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
We just unboxed our new Starlink RV - 4.30pm Friday afternoon here in Perth and the first test we got was 3 times the speed of our NBN. 156Mbps vs 53Mbps. Time to go away again!

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 10:45

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 10:45
Awesome, be interested to see what hardware you have to carry. Big dish?

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642013

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 11:58

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 11:58
There is no dish involved at all. The antenna is just a reasonable size flat panel. When you first switch it on some motors position it in a favourable direction. After that the individual elements in the panel are electrically steered to follow the satellites as they go across the sky. - Specifications - The journalists that call it a dish have no appreciation of the types of antennas used and call it a dish. These flat panel antennas are much more efficient area for area than dishes. You are not carrying anywhere the bulk that you do if you are watching satellite TV.

The standard panel is about the size of a 23" TV set.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921439

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:00

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:00

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921440

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:15

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:15
Thanks Michelle

So large but not enormous. Guess the legs pack down like a camera tripod. Would the panel be about the same size as a stable table folks use to eat their dinner off when sitting in front of the TV?

Thanks

Lyndon

FollowupID: 921441

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:18

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:18
Whoops, just saw Peter's description. About 500 x 400mm I'm guessing.

Heavy?

FollowupID: 921442

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:22

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:22
Bummer, website showing no coverage for the whole Top End ??

FollowupID: 921443

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:32

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:32
Lyndon, if you have a look at the link I posted above, it shows there are three antennas available. The one in my link gives the size of the standard antenna (513 x 303 mm.) The other two are nearly square (575 x 511 mm.) (We do put these links up so you can get your information there!)

I note that Starlink refer to them as "dishy," however, they are not the big parabolic style dishes that we refer to dishes. They are more akin to baking dish style.Here is a bit more info on them (I present this without having fully watched the video, but here goes.) - Starlink Teardown: DISHY DESTROYED!

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921444

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 23:39

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 23:39
Further to my last link, the antenna they did the teardown on is the older round model, not the current ones. I have now found the article on how the antennas work. For those still interested it is - How does Starlink Satellite Internet Work? - again, this is also base on the round antenna but the same principles are applied to the rectangular models.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921451

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:29

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:29
I have the RV coming and have to wait for the residential due to coverage not here yet, however on the Starlink FB page people are getting coverage in Darwin with no issue.
Mind you Dial up internet would be faster than the Sky Muster set I have at the minute.
AnswerID: 642014

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:54

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 14:54
This thread has prompted me to do some more research. Sometime previously seen a very good page regarding the electronics within the radome, I can no longer locate it. However, from that I now know that the operation of the antenna is more akin to the flat panel UHF TV antennas with the 4 bow-tie receiving elements than it does the standard parabolic dish antenna.

I did see there are concerns from some regarding the performance of the system. This was from the USA on July 20, 2022. Everything You Need to Know About Starlink Internet for RVers

5 Starlink Frustrations

As we’ve traveled North America in our RV these past five weeks, I’ve regularly set up my system wherever we camped. And I’ve been frustrated by the following:

1 Starlink download speeds are really not that fast. Don’t get me wrong. Starlink is fast. Often broadband fast, regularly reaching speeds at well over 100 Mbps. But you know what? So does 5G cellular in many parts of the country. And those super-fast Starlink speeds have not been consistent. Depending on how oversubscribed the area may be and how congested Starlink traffic is, I have often found that cellular Internet — even 4G LTE — performs better than Starlink. Like cellular, Starlink throttles speeds (they call it “de-prioritizing”) when you are operating portable out of your registered home area.
2 Starlink upload speeds are terrible. This has been my most bitter disappointment. Sometimes upload speeds reach only 1 or 2 Mbps. Rarely over 5, which is the bare minimum needed for a reliable video upload or a quality Zoom call with a good camera. Not once in our travels have I been able to get enough upload speed to do our YouTube live streams on the road with Starlink.
3 Starlink doesn’t do well with trees. We love trees. We love boondocking in out-of-the-way places and forested places. Even mounted on a 20-foot pole on my RV, reliable and consistent Starlink connectivity requires a clear sky. Yes, it can connect with some trees in the field of vision of the dish. But it drops the connection every 30-40 seconds, every time the satellite its tracking is partially blocked by the trees. The drops don’t last long — another satellite is always right behind the obscured one — but the constant drops are annoying. So is always having to set up camp in a clearing, which is necessary for a solid connection.
4 Starlink is not allowed for in-motion use. At least not yet. Despite those YouTube videos you’ve seen from do-it-yourself RVers who have jerry-rigged ways to anchor the antenna on the roof of the RV and get it working while in motion, Starlink says such use is prohibited and those who do so can have their access pulled. We know Starlink is working on in-motion use but big questions remain on whether a different antenna will be required and how much more such convenience will cost. So, meanwhile, it has to be set up and taken down and stowed every time you set up camp and move.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642015

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 15:53

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 15:53
Peter,

I think trees and sky visibility are going to be the worst problems but for speed in AU we are fairly constant above 130Mbps down and around 20Mbps up. The uplink speed does flip around a fair bit but it seems to work better once you are sending constantly from testing I have done thus far. Anyway time and travelling will tell.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921446

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Saturday, Dec 24, 2022 at 14:53

Saturday, Dec 24, 2022 at 14:53
It's hard for me to imagine why many RV'ers in the US would need Starlink. They may want it because it's the shiny new toy, but few need it. Mobile coverage is so much more extensive than in Australia...check out the T-Mobile coverage map, for example:Click here

Now, people living in remote/rural areas of the US may find Starlink useful and cost-effective vs. existing satellite internet. But then again, the appearance of 4G and 5G home gateways offered by the mobile providers will reach a lot of people. And those services are less expensive than Starlink.Link here

I had a T-Mobile 5G Gateway for a while. I live in a largish urban area so other options were available, but this was less expensive. The speed was variable, but IIRC was always over 100 Mbps and at times was 300+ Mbps. I went back to a slower but free option: portable WiFi hotspots I check out from the local library! :)

For sure, Starlink is fantastic for people traveling widely in Oz who need or want to be connected daily, such as David and Michelle. I'd think stations, communities, roadhouses, etc. without mobile coverage would welcome it too.
FollowupID: 921917

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 15:48

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 15:48
Another equally import piece of information for those wanting to take this into the field is the power consumption. I have just rebooted our unit after moving it to a different piece of roof and from startup to fully running I set my clamp meter to hold and the most current I pulled at 240V was 210mA. It generally sits around 180mA at 240V. Yes it only connects to 240V so an inverter is a must but the power is not bad at around 50W.

David

PS: This post was made using StarLink!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642016

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:06

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:06
More testing with devices connected made it max to 100W but it generally sits 50-60W.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921448

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 10:12

Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 10:12
Some have moded the router to enable a 12V to 48V power supply to be used. You can also use your own router, power inserter and supply. There is a mob in the us working on a 12V supply with integrated POE supply you will just need to add your own router.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921454

Reply By: Briste - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 16:47

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 16:47
Another question for those wanting to travel with Starlink and minimise costs is if you have your RV subscription paused, and you find yourself in a location without any mobile coverage for long enough to warrant turning it back on, can you turn it back on via Starlink?
AnswerID: 642017

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:06

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:06
Good question but don't know the answer sorry!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921447

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 10:05

Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 10:05
I seem to remember reading for the fixed service they indicate log int your account and submit a support request and they will activate the service.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921453

Follow Up By: Briste - Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 10:44

Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 10:44
I did a little research on this, and it would seem that the answer is no. You pause and unpause from your account page, and for that you need internet access, which you don't have via Starlink when your account is paused.

This information came from some Reddit posts by people who tried and failed. There's nothing on the Starlink help pages specifically about this. They say that you can pause and unpause whenever you like, which is probably true, provided you have another source of internet connectivity.

Also of possible interest - if you pause before the end of the current monthly billing period, service continues until the end. The cut-off time is specified in UTC.
FollowupID: 921455

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:09

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:09
Another bonus discovery...our Telstra phones use WiFi calling, and now with our Starlink this means we can receive calls to our usual phone numbers in areas with no mobile service (provided the Starlink is connected so not whilst we're bumping down a track but when stopped and setup). Both inbound and outbound calls will be a huge help for our business on the road.
Michelle
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642018

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:21

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:21
I understand, Michelle, but being out of "range" is rather nice too.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921449

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:46

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 20:46
Another bonus discovery...our Telstra phones use WiFi calling, and now with our Starlink this means we can receive calls to our usual phone numbers in areas with no mobile service (provided the Starlink is connected so not whilst we're bumping down a track but when stopped and setup). Both inbound and outbound calls will be a huge help for our business on the road.
Michelle
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642021

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 21:21

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 21:21
But be wary of relying on this for SMS. We have Optus mobiles, and when we are in a Telstra-only area we have a Nighthawk modem with a Boost SIM for data and the occasional call. Calls are generally ok, although it can be problematic to be heard in areas of weak upload speed.

However our experience is that replies to our SMS messages often totally vanish, and are never received. It's far from clear where the blame for this lies. Hopefully Telstra over Starlink wi-fi is better. It's probably worth testing so as not to be surprised.
FollowupID: 921450

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 12:34

Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 12:34
Hmm interesting comment about SMS Briste. There's only 1 use of SMS that we would use and that is the office phone Messagebank service so that is definitely something to consider. All our family and friends communications are done via messenger apps such as Messenger, What's App etc which avoid the issue you describe.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921461

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 15:09

Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 15:09
And reading an article today….Starlink, due to customer demand, will start throttling speed back for people who use more than 1Tb/mth……may not worry most, but for heavy users it might be a problem.
AnswerID: 642025

Reply By: Dusta - Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 23:02

Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 23:02
i've just deployed a service to sandstone .
going from skymuster with unworkable data limits and shit speed to a very respectable service now . makes remotely accessing their network a pleasure now

AnswerID: 642061

Sponsored Links