Getting stuck on your own

Submitted: Friday, Nov 04, 2022 at 12:56
ThreadID: 145024 Views:3844 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone!
Here's a few YouTube clips I've just made showing a few incidents we had along the way where we got stuck and needed to winch out. In all, this happened 5 times between July - Sept during our recent trip through WA/NT but so far I've only published the first 3 of them as I had sufficient footage. I think I don't have any footage of incident #4 but pretty sure I've got some of #5 - I'll need to take a look and see if I've got enough to make a clip out of it. By then it was all a bit ho-hum, rather than "wow, let me get this footage!" Still, being complacent is never sensible when you travel solo and get yourself in remote situations but being prepared to do what it takes, and having the right gear and mindset is essential. Hopefully the videos set the tone for how we were feeling and the situation.

For context, refer to the related travel blog East Pilbara to NW Coast.

Plus., if you haven't already seen the earlier blogs I've published for our trip see Mid-West (Perth to Newman), which includes the Eagle Rock and Kalgan Creek 4WD Circuit , plus Hickman Crater & Punda Petroglyphs and Rockhole. These blogs also have YouTube clips embedded in them to show highlights.

Enjoy!
Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 09:44

Saturday, Nov 05, 2022 at 09:44
Great to see the footage of three of our favourite spots. We chickened out at Skull Springs & left the car & walked to the spot where you camped. Just as well, there were others camped there & I doubt we would have had room to turn around. We did get bogged in the Oakover River, but it was much drier when we were there, right out in the middle & nothing to winch from. With lots of digging, & tyres let right down we were lucky to get out. It was our scariest bogging experience - 5kms from the road & around 160kms from Marble Bar. No water at Dooleena when we visited either. Loved the drive out to Kalgan Pool. The 'long water' was daunting, but we had met other folk at the beginning of the track who told us it would be ok.

Have only ever winched at one place, an unknown (except to locals) camp on the Ord River near Kununurra. Car wasn't bogged, but we had to drag our Tvan out.

What impresses me most about your videos is that you filmed them! I wish we had filmed our few 'boggings', but have always been too 'tense' with only 'getting out' on our minds to do so.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 642012

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 08:29

Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 08:29
Interesting to see that in video #2, the camper wheels were actually partially sliding and not fully rotating.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642022

Follow Up By: Member - Christian E - Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 09:59

Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 09:59
Noticed same thing, you beat me to it
FollowupID: 921452

Reply By: @Yackandandah - Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 13:06

Sunday, Nov 06, 2022 at 13:06
Interested to know why you aren’t using a damper blanket on the winch line.

Kevin
AnswerID: 642024

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 01:28

Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 01:28
Was such a minor winch, not much strain.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921457

Sponsored Links