The right 4WD for me...

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 13:30
ThreadID: 145015 Views:4856 Replies:21 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I apologise in advance because I know this question has been asked to death, but I feel everyone's situations are so unique so there's (usually) good reason for it!

I'm currently on the hunt for a 4WD which will suit my next adventure.
I have just accepted a job in the remote Indigenous community of Yirrkala in East Arnhem, NT and need wheels which will suit this environment.
The plan is for my partner and I to drive up over 2 weeks from Adelaide and spend the next 2+ years there.
I currently drive a '92 SWB Pajero and unfortunately I think it's too small to pack our life into.
So I'm after some opinions (or reassurance) from you highly experienced individuals.

Looking to spend no more than $20,000 (ideally around $12k - $16k) for a Manual Diesel with reliability as the main focus.
I'm no hardcore rock-climbing 4WDer, but I have moderate 4WD experience and expect that the roads up there will be the type to test a car. I really don't know what to expect or how much hardcore 4WDing I'll need to do, but I would obviously like to not get stuck in a tricky situation. I've done plenty of beach driving and been down my share of 4WD tracks, but I don't go 4WDing for the fun of it - mostly just to get to fishing/camping spots. I imagine most of my time will be spent touring and on dirt roads, but this is also something I'm unsure of and would love any insight from people who have been up that way. Do I NEED a 'real' 4WD like a patrol/cruiser?

From my research over the past couple weeks, I have boiled it down to these options:

Gen3 3.2L Diesel 4M41 Pajero
Pros:
Bang for buck (likely to get a decent one for <$20k)
Comfortable on the road/grated tracks (Independent Suspension)
Fuel efficient
Spacious (back seats fold flat?)

Cons:
Not built for 'real 4wding' (still yet to figure out what 'real' means?)
Low clearance
Independent Suspension is less reliable/weaker
Some common engine issues: timing chain, injector pump, noisy

Post-2003 GU Patrol 3.0L ZD30
Pros:
Built like a tank, a 'real 4wd'
Solid/live-axle suspension can take you anywhere
Good clearance
Fuel efficient

Cons:
Expensive, can be hard to find a good one for <$20k
Also expensive to repair
Less spacious (seats don't fold flat?)
Uncomfortable drive (solid-axle)
Engines get a bad rep: cracked pistons and heads, turbo overboost

TD 42 GU/GQ Patrol
Pros:
Literally a tank, very reliable
Non-turbo = less problems
Non-independent suspension, can take you anywhere
Powerful

Cons:
Expensive and hard to find a good one for <$20k
Fuel guzzler
Expensive repairs/maintenance
Less spacious (seats don't fold flat?)
GQ's are old and less comfortable
Slight overkill for my needs?

I've also considered 80/105 series Landcruisers, but figure they are well beyond my budget, and Hilux's but have decided on a wagon. Open to other suggestions.
In terms of repairs/maintenance, I also wonder what availability of parts is like out there? Does everyone drive cruisers, troopy's and hilux's or will I find Pajero parts?

If anyone has read this whole post, thank you very much for your time.
Would love to hear any opinions from people. I'm currently leaning towards a Pajero, but could easily be swayed...

Cheers,
Adrian
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: dindy - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 15:41

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 15:41
Hi, I know that area very well and have travelled to Nhulunbuy for work on numerous occasions. You have kind of answered your own question with the vehicle options you have selected. Any of those vehicles will handle the road conditions. The road conditions to and from the Stuart Hwy are not too extreme except in the wet season when some sections of road are closed due to flooding and possible subsequent damage. The trick is to drive to the conditions don't exceed your driving skills or the capability of vehicle and you will be ok. Most vehicle problems occur when the vehicle is bashed to an inch of its life with little mechanical sympathy. Make sure your selected vehicle is mechanically inspected and all suspect parts replaced or serviced well before you depart. This may incur some expense however will be cheaper in the long run. You would be surprised the types of vehiclesthe locals use.

Even though I am a landcruiser man and if turns out that is not an option for you I would be leaning towards the patrols as they are common up there, robust and parts are easy to get. Do not underestimate the Pagero it is capable and will handle the conditions. However not as common and parts may be difficult to get.

When it is all said and done if you are only there for two years you may not be doing much distance driving in that time and most of the must see locations around there are easily accessed with nothing too extreme.
AnswerID: 641973

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 16:20

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 16:20
Look up Carsales and restrict your search to $15,000 to $25,000.

You will see some doozies mixed with reasonable vehicles. The major type will be the 4.2 6 cyl manual diesel which was a 'bulletproof' model. Lots of spares available, anyone can work them and they go everywhere.

Here's a good example. (no connection.. just a low km example)

Landcruiser

Watch out for 'Flood' damaged examples, especially now floods have been so widespread.

Your two years sound like they will be fun.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641974

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 17:27

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 17:27
Buy a box trailer to get your gear there and keep driving what you have?
AnswerID: 641976

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 18:42

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 18:42
I know you've discounted Hiluxes because you want a wagon - but what about a Prado? Same engine, big fuel tank and heaps of them around so spares and knowledgeable repairers plentiful.
That said my previous (08) 3 litre manual diesel Hilux was a beauty - 9 years of round Aus travel towing a variety of campers, and never a problem.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641978

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 19:46

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 19:46
Adrian
I have owned from new three Pajeros since 2002 and travelled 800 000km in them
Not had a single issue and never seem the Timing Chain or Injectors mentioned as a reoccurring issue on the Pajero Forum (as you do for Pistons and injectors on Pradopoint). My father is still driving my last one at ca 330 000km. Later models (post 2006 era) had issues with Manifold inlet blockages due to EGR unless there were modifications
I bought a new Prado 12 months ago

I can't comment on the Patrol, only you will determine whether you need a vehicle as off road capable as that, or whether a Pajero + Max tracks will suffice. I've confined my Pajeros to dirt roads and Highways
Likewise up to you whether a twin cab Ute is a superior option

Second hand the Prado is a nicer vehicle to drive and likely to have easier access to spare parts in the NT, Pajero is a better value vehicle.

Mark

AnswerID: 641979

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 23:31

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2022 at 23:31
For me there would only be two choices, just as there was when I bought our late model TDi 4.2 Patrol ute. The other option was a Landcruiser, but the Patrol was more affordable. It is indeed a very capable vehicle, & I like to have a vehicle which has capabilities which exceed my own. I don't generally set out to find 'hard core ' 4wd'ing, but occasionaly we come up against something 'challenging' on the way somewhere & having the vehicle gives me the confidence I need. To date it has never let us down or 'failed to get through'.

That said, if I were now looking to set up a vehicle to do the same sort of remote area travelling we have been doing with the Patrol for the past 5 years I think a normally aspirated Landcruiser with a 1Hz motor might sway me. Especially the 75 series ute. They are more comfortable than the Patrol, (my bad back loves them compared to the low seat of the Patrol) the 1Hz motor with the Toyota's lower gearing (than the patrol) is so easy & relaxing to drive, it just feels 'easy' & it is very capable. On tight tracks, in the trees it's 'angled in' shape at the front is a real bonus. Not being turboed it is slower, but we drive slow anyway, & I just love it's simplicity. In fact any Cruiser with a 1hz is worth considering. The later v8 79 series are nice too, but are in a different league pricewise, & I still think the 1hz is nicer to drive. I make these comments having had access to Toyota hiluxes x 2 (lateish models), 75 series ute, a 100 series wagon & currently a V8 dual cab with just 50k on the clock at places we've looked after over the past few years. My pick is the 75 series anytime, & wouldn't even consider the Hiluxes - they just don't hang together as well as the cruisers.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641980

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 07:40

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 07:40
I like your way of thinking and agree simple is best in these type if scenarios. I also think there is an advantage when things do go wrong to be driving what the locals drive as you have a better chance of sorting out any issues.
What surprised me is how uncomfortable your Patrol must be if you consider a 75 as an upgrade lol.
FollowupID: 921400

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 07:57

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 07:57
Here's an interesting comparison of vehicles who just completed the Old Tele Track. The second vehicle in the comparison is an old HZJ75 that they bought for $9k and it did everything that the more expensive newer vehicles did.
FollowupID: 921401

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 08:07

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 08:07
Alby, some Patrols I've been in (wagons) seem far more comfortable than ours. In the ute with the seating low the seats induce a curvature to my body - knees up, bum down & no lumbar support from the back of the seat. And we have two single seats from an ST model ute I fitted into our DX - which were an improvement over the original single driver seat & '1.5 bench passenger seat!

By comparison, the first place we had a cruiser to use, it was a beat up, unroadworthy wagon (Not sure what series - can be defined by it's 5 stud wheels I believe - we had to source a spare from wrecks in the local community & nearly all were 6 stud) with missing body panels & torn seats, much the same as in the local aboriginal community at the time. Despite it's ripped seats it was imstantly more comfortable than our Patrol! I use a good solid mesh back support (from a physiotherapist service ) in our Patrol to give me lumbar support - it is essential - but have never needed something like this in any of the Toyotas we've had the use of!

Further comments on the 75. a)My wife also loved driving it. b) reversing it out of the shed daily - put it in gear & let out the clutch - no need to touch the accelerator - lovely.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 921402

Reply By: Alan H11 - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 06:35

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 06:35
The Pajeros: we’ve had a Mk 1 diesel in Africa and have a Mk 4 petrol (Montero) in Colombia which we’ve taken to Australia and back. I think your view that they’re not for “real” 4wding is not a good reflection of their capability. We’ve taken ours on some tough routes, including across the Simpson, into Palm Valley, and the 3-1/2 million corrugations of the GRR. It’s viewed here in Colombia as a strong and capable 4x4 and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of them all over the more remote areas of the country. The clearance is not the best, however it’s better than a Prado. So I suggest that you don't under-rate the Pajero.

The Patrols: we had a Patrol in Congo for two years - it was excellent- robust, capable, go anywhere. And… less comfortable than the Mk 1 Pajero and a LOT less comfortable than the Mk 4. The solid axle suspension contributes to this, and the belief that it offers better traction is less justified in my experience.

Summary - if we were choosing one of these for a lot of gravel and dirt roads but not a lot of “rock crawling” I think the Pajero is a good option. If you are going further “off road” then one of the Patrols is a better choice. Given the price difference you could buy a Pajero and put a 50 mm lift on it and still be ahead.

A post-script. We've owned a Series 80 Land Cruiser as well (in Africa) and I’d say that it’s somewhere between the two you’re considering in terms of capability and comfort, However they are getting long in the tooth now. We looked at a new Land Cruiser when we were considering the Montero and it was no better in specifications, and DOUBLE the price. If you can find a good LC at a resonable price it’s a good option - not a 70 series (the Patrol is as good if not better), a 200 Series perhaps.
AnswerID: 641981

Reply By: Happy Explorer - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 07:39

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 07:39
Hi Adrian

I feel there is merit in all the replies so far.
There are three things here in your post that should influence your outcome.
You have stated:
1. You are not sure of the conditions/usage that you will need to encounter.
2. Your price point is ideally $12k to $16K.
3. Your current vehicle is too small.

It is really hard to know what specific vehicle will be best if you are unsure of what it needs to do.
I have owned a Prado 150 for over 10 years now having purchased it new. Before that I have had a Patrol and two Land cruisers. The Prado is clearly in a different category however for our driving it has done everything asked of it with no serious issues to date.

I feel the big decider here is your price limitations. Keeping in mind point 1 above, I would be more looking for a vehicle in the best condition I could find in the price range rather than a specific make or model. You may well find a twin cab might come up winner there (maybe).
I was looking for a really good second hand Prado but ended up with a new one because a good used one was so close to new price it became a no brainer for me 10 years ago.

Interestingly you did not say your current vehicle is mechanically deficient, but rather too small.
Firstly anything other than a single cab ute might end up too small as well.
If your old Pajero is mechanically reliable and you are still reasonably happy with the vehicle other than size then maybe, as stated by someone else, a trailer might be a really good option. You would need a good solid one though and not the average garden dump run variety so will still cost a bit.
Given your budget, you could get a good off road trailer with a canvas cover and spend some money on your vehicle to bring it up to scratch and still have money spare.
At least you have a vehicle you know and understand.
If it is well past its use by date then that is a different matter.
If your budget was say, $30k to $40k or whatever then that would be a different matter altogether. A 4WD around $15k will almost certainly come with its own set of problems though in my view.

I wish you well with what ever decision you make.

Roy G

AnswerID: 641982

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 08:23

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 08:23
Hi Adrian,

I have to agree with Roy with regards to budget.

Your low budget is possibly going to see you with a vehicle that has more problems than the vehicle you currently own. With a higher budget you are more likely to get a vehicle that will have less problems, and cost you less in the long run.

Some older Patrols, did suffer from overheating problems, had a few mates with them that needed to get larger radiators fitted. Admittedly, that was back in the 90’s. These vehicles did have a lot of grunt, and were generally well built, just let down by overheating.

For my money, I would be looking for an early 2000’s 100 Series Landcruiser, or a similar vintage Troopy. Parts should not be a problem, and these vehicles are very strong. Obviously you need to look for any signs that the vehicle has been “flooded”.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641983

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 10:54

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 10:54
Lived and worked in the area for twenty years. Regardless of what you buy...any repairs will be expensive. The Pajero you stated as not a real 4wd will often leave the cruisers and patrols for dead. Quite a few amongst the communities up there. In the wet season you will only be on the main road or the local community roads. Its bitumen from Gove to Yirrkala and the airport. There heaps of non 4wd vehicles as well.

If it was me I,d buy a good trailer, take your belongings and sell the trailer when you get there. You,ll make a profit for sure. The Pajero will handle the drive easily and once in Gove will spend most of its life on bitumen. The are several mechanic shops in Gove but I,d recommend the Toyota dealer based on much experience.
AnswerID: 641987

Reply By: ian - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 12:16

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 12:16
Adrian,
you have heaps of good advice to your question.
Unless you have a problem with your current car, keep it.
Upgrade the suspension with a 2'' lift, and get the best/strongest tyres that suit it.
Slow down at dips and creeks, and I think you will be OK.
I have travelled around in those parts a bit, and I think your current car is OK
ian
AnswerID: 641990

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 17:24

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2022 at 17:24
Some good advice so far, I can only add a perspective I gained recently when researching vehicles to replace my wifes vehicle. The second hand market is rife with poorly maintained or repaired vehicles. If you are not mechanically inclined it is possible (as a close friend recently found...) a second hand 4wd could cost you "just" as much as a new one. Most of us have had good runs with our vehicles and are happy to reccomend them to you but again, finding a good "good" 4wd can be tricky seeing most people keep them when they are trouble free and decide to sell when they look like costing money. I say this because of the age of the vehicles in this price range and the unusual things that can go wrong out of the blue that good maintenence would not necessarily pick up. eg. A 20 plus year old vehicle can have a ignition switch give up and strand you and have similar symptoms to about 5 other issues, old heads can sometimes develop leaks in strange places eg directly into the inlet /exhaust port/oil voids, a poorly repaired, or cheap replacement starter motor can play up, bearings, brake lines, old wiring etc etc. The problem then, with newer vehicles, is that they are harder/more expensive to maintain/repair, to the point where, by the time a $20-30k 4wd needs a new transmission or engine rebuild you could have had a new car with a 5+ year warranty.....

So - maybe the devil you know is worth keeping only you know that. I have had the same dilemma and have kept a 32 year old Patrol in good shape but ... but now we have a versatile new vehicle for the reasons above...Hope this helps and somehow economises your choices..
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641995

Reply By: Winner W - Thursday, Nov 03, 2022 at 09:58

Thursday, Nov 03, 2022 at 09:58
Keep that SWB Pajero that you have. Add roofracks , platform and get a solid caged box trailer for about $1500 to load that stuff you need to get to your destination.
AnswerID: 641997

Reply By: AdiBrix - Thursday, Nov 03, 2022 at 12:24

Thursday, Nov 03, 2022 at 12:24
Hi everyone,

Apologies for my late reply! I was locked out of my account and couldn't get back in.

This has all been really fantastic information. Thank you.

From what I've gathered, I think I'll focus my attention on finding the right car in the best condition and worry less about the specific model. Be it a Patrol, Pajero, Prado or Cruiser. From what you've said, they will all be capable.
I will also aim to spend at the top end of my budget to try and get one in the best condition.

What some of you have said is similar to what my dad has said - if I'm going somewhere and a Pajero can't get me there, I probably don't want to go there haha!

I have considered doing my car up and buying a trailer, but there was a couple things which steered me away from it:
1) We want to make the drive up a holiday and take a couple weeks to do it, likely with a fair bit of 4wding in the mix. A trailer would make this more difficult.
2) It's a petrol model and I'm pretty keen on getting a Diesel and have heard it's recommended to have a diesel up there.
3) I find it bumps around on the highway a fair bit and handling isn't amazing at high speeds
4) Fuel price would go through the roof with a trailer
5) This one is a little bit dumb, but I'm pretty excited about getting some new wheels haha

Then again, I really know nothing about trailers and their capabilities. Will do a bit of research on this, but I'm currently leaning towards getting some new wheels.

I will absolutely have the car checked by a mechanic before I hit the open road. Considering even asking a mechanic friend to come with me when inspecting the vehicles.

Thanks again for all the information and insights,
Adrian
AnswerID: 641999

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Nov 03, 2022 at 14:12

Thursday, Nov 03, 2022 at 14:12
Good luck Adrian. Hope it all works out well for you.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921425

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Nov 03, 2022 at 15:47

Thursday, Nov 03, 2022 at 15:47
Don’t underestimate the importance of having a reliable vehicle when traveling in remote areas. Apart from the potential risk to your personal safety being stranded , getting a vehicle towed or repaired in a remote area can get very expensive quickly
The condition of the vehicle is more important than the brand.

Good luck with your search.
FollowupID: 921427

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Nov 04, 2022 at 23:51

Friday, Nov 04, 2022 at 23:51
Most of the road Central Arnhem Highway is unsealed after Beswick/Wugularr. Locals drive holdens/falcons on those roads so with a 4X4 you should not have a problem provided you drive slowly. On corrugations have a break occasionally and let you shock absorbers cool.

During the wet season the rivers rise and a lot of communities are cut off. Expect to be isolated some of the time.

Be careful if doing a river crossing. The depth indicators are not always accurate. Don't walk them There are large reptiles that inhabits those waters.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

AnswerID: 642010

Reply By: AdiBrix - Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 15:03

Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 15:03
G'day everyone,

So after some more consideration and research, I have whittled it down to 2 options.
There are 2 good looking cars locally in SA which I'm going to have a look at this week.
Pretty keen to get something in the next week or two so I have time to work on it before Christmas.

Would love your opinions on the following vehicles:

Option 1):

1997 Mitsubishi Pajero NL 3.5L V6 Manual
$9,900 advertised
263, 000kms
Lots of maintenance done in past 1000km (timing belt, clutch kit, radiator, water pump, rear seals, harmonic balancer, shocks)
Has a small chip in the windscreen and needs a snorkel/roofracks

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tea-tree-gully/cars-vans-utes/1997-nl-pajero-ready-to-go/1303075732

-Have heard whispers that Pajero's are know for having coolant issues? Not sure on the details, but something about them burning coolant and therefore overheating. Can anyone elaborate on this?

-Seems like this car has had lots of work done and with receipts and all. Owner has been very honest with questions, which I like.

Option 2)

1992 Nissan Patrol GQ TD42 N/A 4.2L 4cyl Manual
$10,950 advertised
350,000kms
Looks pretty neat, owner has said nothing is wrong with it but also hasn't listed what work has been done...
Needs a snorkel and roofracks

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide-cbd/cars-vans-utes/nissan-gq-patrol-ford-maverick-td42-silvertop-4-2-diesel/1303724981

-...Pretty hard to find faults on these things, but this one has seen ~90,000 more kms than the pajero.
Also a couple years older so possibly not quite as comfy/convenient.
-Owner hasn't elaborated much on the work done, and hasn't mentioned any problems. Not quite as trustworthy, but will just have to see it for myself.

I understand the GQ walks all over the Paj in terms of 4WDing and are famous for their reliability. From my research, it also seems that fuel consumption will end up costing around the same but will have to stop less with the Patrol (Pajero @ 15L/100km, Patrol @ 13L/100km).
Pajero's are highly rated for their comfortable driving on the road (IFS) and decent reliability.

I know this is an open ended questions, but which would be more 'powerful'?
I imagine the Patrol would have more low end torque and therefor take off quicker, but the Pajero would have more top end power and feel a bit quicker?

Would love any thoughts on these vehicles and any experiences people have had. I like em both and will check them both out this week.

Cheers,
Adrian
AnswerID: 642033

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 16:05

Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 16:05
Hi Adrian, Making some assumptions here "TD4.2" is a 6 cyl turbo diesel. Assuming its a 6 cyl aftermarket Turbo Diesel, A bit confusing as the 4 cylinder version is a Stock Turbo diesel and not as reliable long term so you may clarify this...... I can only speak from personal experience , as previously mentioned I have owned a 32 year old Petrol GQ Patrol for 22 years (Other family members also own them) - I am quite mechanically adept, so for me I look at reliability,field servicability and longevity (I hate buying cars) I know how much care I put into maintenence as opposed to paying somebody else and having them work to a "time vs $$" budget. Offroad capability is its strongest point for me - so that is my main bias! - the Patrol is very simple to work on and most things on these dont just go "bang" I have found they usually give plenty of warning. As far as reliability goes - it has only needed minimal repairs/maintenance considering the bouts of extreme 4WDriving it has done over that time. I find OEM parts eg Starter motors/alternators etc etc to be super reliable and worth rebuilding as aftermarket replacements, while they sound good that they have been replaced, tend to give problems sooner and I dont trust for outback travel. The Patrol you are looking at seems cheap in the current market if it is a TD4.2 lit turbo diesel so I would advise caution, moreso if it is a 2.8 lit version.

The Paj, on the other hand is something you are familiar with and sounds like it has had a fair bit of maintenence done recently. Sounds like a good buy. The only point I make is if you want to keep a vehicle for a long time - the Patrol is basically simple and is something that will last a long time with correct maintenance - if thats what you are looking for. Not knowing how good the Patrols turbo and clutch are etc is a concern. I always assume any vehicle I buy second hand will need a few thousand (or maybe more in this case) spent on it. I assume you will need to spend money somewhere. Once the money is spent hopefully that means you are getting a longer more reliable life out of your purchase. Hopefully somebody else can balance this out with some info on the Paj. Only you can know which is the best choice as you check them over and speak to the owners. Good luck
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921464

Follow Up By: AdiBrix - Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 20:55

Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 20:55
Sorry mate my mistake, from what I understand it's a 6cyl 4.2L normally-aspirated engine not a 4cyl. No turbo.
I've read in the past hour or so that these earlyNA's are pretty slow going, but have plenty of low end grunt and reliability. Would love to hear any more about this if anyone's had a 92 GQ TD42? Cheers
FollowupID: 921466

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 21:50

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 21:50
Have a look at the Patrol 4x4 forum for everything you need to know. I had a TB42S Maverick for 23 years. Very reliable, but compared to my NT Pajero an underpowered tractor, the non turbo TD42 has something like 30kW less power. Any turbo GQ is after market. GQ Patrols are all getting long in the tooth, rust in the roof and the rear sliding windows are vehicle killers.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 921477

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 17:24

Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 17:24
Just had a look in Carsales and there are some nice sounding Pajeros in Victoria ......... but I guess that's a bit far away for you.
Pajeros are good, reliable and comfortable, and plenty of them around.

Good luck.
Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 642035

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 18:52

Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 18:52
I have a Pajero and was told not to buy a manual because the clutch components are very expensive and possibly a point of weakness. You can't kill the 3.2 diesel and auto plus you can get under 10 litres per 100. I can guarantee the Pajero will go further off road than you're giving it credit for. I've done every "name" track in SA including the likes of Billy Goat Ridge at Bendleby without breaking a sweat, and mine's only got a 40mm lift and a decent set of tyres. I've owned a Patrol as well in the past so I do have a somewhat experienced view of both cars.
AnswerID: 642037

Follow Up By: AdiBrix - Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 20:41

Monday, Nov 07, 2022 at 20:41
Yeah I've been looking for a Pajero Diesel but haven't found anything that's really caught my eye, and time is of the essence unfortunately. I hadn't heard of the manual problem, but will look into it.
I definitely think the Paj will be more than capable of what I wanna do. For me the big thing is reliability and I haven't heard a bad thing about GQ Patrols in that department
FollowupID: 921465

Follow Up By: nickb - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 00:23

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2022 at 00:23
Beware the 3.2 diesel NP pajero (2002-2006). I had one, they are a great vehicle. The only issue is it's not uncommon to have a fuel pump fail around the 250,000-300,000km mark. The fuel pump was unique to this motor, $6000+ brand new from Mitsubishi with 3 month wait (if they have any). Or a reconditioned one for similar money but available asap. Only a handful of diesel shops know how to work on them. I had mine for 100,000km problem free but sold it just under 200,000km.

The issue was the dual mass fly wheels (patrol 3L had the same issues) , if the dual-mass flywheel fails you can replace it with a standard style one for reasonable money.
FollowupID: 921467

Reply By: Dixie61 - Friday, Nov 11, 2022 at 10:48

Friday, Nov 11, 2022 at 10:48
hi, I've had 3 patrols , 3.3 MQ SWB 4 speed , GQ Safari 4.2 NA Auto , 03 Patrol ute 4.2 na 5 speed, all have been reliable , the Safaria hi roof model was luxury, with adjustable suspension the pick of the lot ., comfy seats , imported from Japan , the Ute towed a 18ft Van all round Australia never missed a beat , altho did have the aircon cut out in 40 deg days towing , underpowerd for sure but also understressed. Was thirsty towing .
The 4.2 have been known to overheat if pushed hard & crack exhaust manifolds , the 5th gear is weak and an after market kit is available . The Patrol forum has plenty of info on their faults . Oil changes at 5000kms and 2 oil filters are a pain . Miss my Patrols, always felt confident on long hauls, more so than in my common rail Dmax .
AnswerID: 642053

Reply By: AdiBrix - Friday, Nov 11, 2022 at 11:05

Friday, Nov 11, 2022 at 11:05
Hey everyone,

Just letting you know what my decision was made and I am a proud owner of a 1992 Nissan Patrol TD42 NA!

I went to check one out on Tuesday night and couldn't resist... It was in fantastic condition and at a very good price. I knew if I didn't put the money down there and then it would get snapped up.
I found it very hard to find any bad words about this car on forums! (Other than it being a bit slow, but that's not my goal)

Thanks for all your advice and experiences, certainly helped me make the decision.
Feeling very confident in this car and excited to work on it

Cheers,
Adrian

AnswerID: 642055

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Nov 11, 2022 at 11:25

Friday, Nov 11, 2022 at 11:25
Good choice.
FollowupID: 921487

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Nov 11, 2022 at 13:06

Friday, Nov 11, 2022 at 13:06
Well done, good choice, and happy travels.
Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921488

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 16:24

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 16:24
I too think it an excellent choice. Just don't get tempted like so many to tune raise it turbo it etc etc. and it'll 'just keep going'

Well a 50mm lift won't hurt, but stick with 265's

Expect to get stung on insurance if you want fully comp. Patrols have a 'hoon' tax on them when it comes to insurance because they are so popular with young blokes wanting 'soup them up' & then invincibly plough thtough rivers & mudpits without thought.

FollowupID: 921501

Reply By: T&G Carswell - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:06

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:06
Adrian - I am still driving my 2002 GXL 100 series Land Cruiser 1Hz , live axle, with after market turbo. Absolutely bulletproof and comfortable. Good A/C, electric windows, no computer! Up to 393000km going well.
I have not looked at the resale market, but I dn't think its resale vale would be any more than the budget range you mentioned. If you could find a 1Hz with good service credentials you would not go wrong for what you want. They are simple and strong, (just not quick off the mark!)
Tom Carswell

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642135

Sponsored Links