Gibb River Road

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 22:44
ThreadID: 144408 Views:4195 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been on the Gibb in last week. I met a bloke that l know and his report was that anything not Toyota on his 79 series ute had broken and turned back as the road was that bad. So l,m looking for other current opinions as l,ve already been on some crap roads and suffered some damage myself.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:28

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:28
Probably more to do with how people drive not what they drive ..
Thousands of travellers every year seem to manage ok on the GRR
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 641398

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:59

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:59
What NickB said.

I was there last week.

My first impression at the Derby end was that it was better than six years ago but age dulls the pain maybe.

The worst bits seem to be either side of Ellenbrae when the road seemed salted with razor sharp stones (well that's what they looked like) ready to reduce tyres to ribbons. They didn't.

On this section one of those rocks thrown up up a ute towing a car trailer was going to hit me between the eyes before the windscreen intervened. No chip thankfully.

I sometimes used to think the the outback grader was a mythical creature often talked of but never seen but there were two (!) working on the run in to Home Valley so the road around there was fine.

Across the Pentecost there were major road roadworks before El Questro and I'd think the bitumen will reach the river soon.

My experience of a few years travelling is your friend may be right, after market accessories are the bits more likely to fall off on the roughest tracks.

I have loose and missing bolts on the undertray of the ARB bullbar, one driving light is at a crazy angle but I can't move it by hand and I lost a UHF aerial.

I have personal knowledge on this trip of broken welds on the passenger side step of a stretched 200 series and a few other minor breakages.

It's a rough dusty track. Any rougher than any other? Who knows?

Prepare as well as you can, keep weight down and lower the tyres pressures ... and maybe lower them some more.

Hope you can enjoy it. It's a great part of Australia.

Rocco

AnswerID: 641399

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 21:13

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 21:13
Rocco
Thanks for the informitive reply, my only damage so far has been stone punture equalled new tyre and HF ariel came loose on the Tanami. So the GRR sounds ok from what you have said just drive to the conditions low tyre pressures and speed
Thanks Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920547

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 20:31

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 20:31
Did it last month in a 79 ( not towing ) and don’t see what the drama is all about, it is no better/ worse than many other outback roads
The road up to Mitchell Falls was heavily corrugated though but certainly doable

I see a lot of people driving in the corrugations not on them which makes it far worse
AnswerID: 641403

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 at 15:55

Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 at 15:55
I know what you mean about driving "on" the corrugations, but I must say that I feel quite uncomfortable with the slightly unnerving feeling of sliding when doing this.
However, going at 10-15km/h is not an option, unless for really bad short sections.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920560

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 at 13:56

Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 at 13:56
Agree with above, also tire pressures make a big differnce, usually drop mine about 10PSI on
gravel but on some sections into birsdville have dropped them 15PSI this trip to smooth the ride.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641423

Sponsored Links