Place Comment: You Are Lost Sign

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 19:39
ThreadID: 144406 Views:4347 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just an update on the Hanging Rock western access into Rudall NP:
We are back in home Broome now after an amazing 2 weeks in Rudall. We had intended to enter Rudall via Skull Springs Rd > SE to Christie Crossing > East via Bocrabee Hill to Hanging Rock etc. All set with lots of planning, chatting to ExplorOz members, good offline Nav (ExplorOz), etc. Anyway, we never got in that way as we couldn't get down the track from Skull Springs to Christie Crossing - 4 foot drop into the Davis River Crossing made that impassible. I know you can go in another way around the back to Christie via Pearana Rockhole but we didn't back track that way (probably impossible too this year). So....... we went around to Balfour Downs to ask if we could use their track to get to C.Crossing from the south. The answer was a firm "NO". Seems they are getting worried about foot and mouth disease (I chose not to tell them I'm a veterinarian).
Then we came into Rudall via Talawana and main Nth-Sth Road - easy. Fantastic few days at T'jarra Pool - full of water, then thought we would go to Hanging Rock and possibly Bocrabee Hill in the opposite direction to original plan ie west-east. But the track has been swallowed by good wet seasons and after making it to Currun Currun Waterhole, and getting well stuck in a washout, we had to give up. We certainly knew they way but just couldn't find the track in the end. Another member has confirmed this with a similar story a week earlier.
I would love to hear from anyone who has made it to Hanging Rock this year, from either Direction.
John Beadle
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stevemc181 - Thursday, Aug 11, 2022 at 00:02

Thursday, Aug 11, 2022 at 00:02
We headed out to Hanging Rock back in 2017, entering via the East. It was a mission back then trying to find the track in places.

We had intended on exiting out via skull springs or Balfour downs, but lost the track a few kms west of Hanging Rock and had some fuel constraints that forced us to turn back and exit to the East again after visiting Hanging Rock.

A short video of a section just after we got going on day two, shows the sort of crap we spent two days pushing through.

https://youtu.be/3mvb2F0x_Ao
AnswerID: 641406

Follow Up By: Member - JohnnyBeadle - Thursday, Aug 11, 2022 at 12:55

Thursday, Aug 11, 2022 at 12:55
Hi Steve. Thanks for your feedback. I just looked at a video we took of the track between ‘You Are Lost’ and Currun Currun Waterhole. The acacias look even higher than your video from 2017.
I’m already planning the next trip to Rudall. I’ve got to get to Hanging Rock! I think I’ll try via Woodie Woodie Mine > Pearana Pool > Christie Crossing . Bocrabee Hill next time.

Hey I used Autoskin to Protect paint on my new Prado - incredibly good, not a single scratch, and I really mean not one!Check out the photos.
Cheers
John Beadle
FollowupID: 920551

Reply By: Member - Stevemc181 - Thursday, Aug 11, 2022 at 13:52

Thursday, Aug 11, 2022 at 13:52
It took us some time to find the track inititially and we lost it frequently. Some sections were pretty bad with spinifex and overgrown shrubbery. We also had a run in with a wild dog when camped out near a rockhole enroute.
I was just looking to see if I could find my old GPX files, but seems I've deleted them ;) I'll have a look on a couple of old devices I have at home and see if I can find the trip logs.

My patrol was only a few months old when I took it through here, so it's first offroad trip was a doozy ;)
AnswerID: 641411

Reply By: Ozjourney - Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 at 10:46

Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 at 10:46
I think I might have followed your tracks out to Currun Currun waterhole, went out there on the 24/7/22. Never quiet made it to the waterhole, maybe 400m short went off on a side track that ended. That area certainly is up there for real adventure.

Steve
AnswerID: 641421

Follow Up By: Member - JohnnyBeadle - Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 at 13:33

Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 at 13:33
Steve, we actually may have followed your tracks! We were at CC Waterhole on 28 July. That last 500m or so to the water was difficult track finding. We got stuck in a blind ending, sandy washout less than 1km before CCW. Used 4 Maxtrax to reverse out, with a trailer! Took a few attempts. I don't wish to do that again. It was an epic day, the waterhole was so worth it and was the highlight for birdwatching for our 2 weeks in Rudall. There were literally swarms of finches and spinifex pigeons drinking there.
I still want to get to Hanging Rock! Already planning another trip. Cheers.
FollowupID: 920558

Sponsored Links