Oziexplorer vs Memory Map - to complement EOT

Submitted: Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 12:03
ThreadID: 144317 Views:4678 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I hesitate to ask this question, given the recent grumblings about too much tech talk and not enough campfire chat, but I don't know of a place with more relevant expertise, so here goes.

I am going to buy another navigation app to complement ExplorOZ Traveller, one with the HEMA 4WD maps. The options I'm considering are OziExplorer and Memory Map. There's a lot of expertise here regarding Ozi. I don't understand why I'd choose it over MM. Ozi costs more, as I understand it you have to buy the license for each device, and the HEMA 4WD maps cost more. MM is a free download, the HEMA 4WD maps are cheaper, and you can install them on more than one device.

What am I missing? The blog article that compares mapping apps is pretty light on detail regarding MM, and mostly focuses on a blip several years ago when the local distributor changed, which proved to be a momentary blip.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 13:19

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 13:19
Hi Briste,

Don't know anything about MM so can't comment.

I have a paid up licence for Ozi and have been able to get it onto multiple devices running the same platform. (Android). I just email Ozi with my current credentials and ask for a licence for the extra device. This has worked over a number of device updates, as it should. I do agree, though, that the website certainly makes it appear that a separate licence and fee is required for each device. Same with my PC licence.

I would email Ozi for clarification if in doubt.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641339

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 13:44

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 13:44
Thanks Frank. In my diligent searching, I found someone who bought a copy of Ozi for their tablet and another for their phone. The Ozi website is obstinately vague on this point, perhaps intentionally so, to encourage multiple purchases.
FollowupID: 920444

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 14:31

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 14:31
If you ever need to run it on an iphone or ipad in the future then Memory Map will work and Ozi Explorer won't. The advantage with Memory Map is that you just buy the maps not the program, and the same maps work on PC, Android and iDevices. OziExplorer is a more technical product if I recall, probably is more capable. Having said that I have an Ozi Explorer licence for PC and android but have used Memory Map exclusively for the past 10 years instead.
FollowupID: 920448

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 18:26

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 18:26
Hi Briste,

I was not "grumbling about too much tech talk". What I was on about is why people with an operational problem with their ExplorOz Traveller product do not use the provided Help Desk which connects them directly to the product developers rather than the forum. There is a lot more expertise there.

I consider your post above. re members choices in digital mapping systems, to be entirely valid on the forum.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 641343

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 22:12

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 22:12
Lets hope people read this that continually post questions about trav app on the forum
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 920461

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 09:22

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 09:22
My thoughts are a few years out of date but in my opinion Memory Map has less features than OziExplorer and so is simpler to use. My dad has Ozi - it seems to do everything but at the cost of usability.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641346

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 18:06

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 18:06
I’ve had Hema 4WD maps for close to 10 years and was under the impression that they used Memory Maps as the operating system. I don’t recall having to download MM to access the Hema app.

I’ve always liked the Hema product, but will probably run Traveller more often in future, or run both systems on 2 devices?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641349

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 18:55

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 18:55
Hema uses a rebranded version of Memory Map that I think is locked to their maps, don't quote me on that. There are other maps you can use besides Hema if you use vanilla Memory Map. I have the 25k NSW Topo series which I find excellent and has much more detail than the Hema 4wd maps that I also run.
FollowupID: 920470

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 19:41

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 19:41
"I’ve always liked the Hema product, but will probably run Traveller more often in future, or run both systems on 2 devices?"

Bob,

You can run them on 2 devices if you wish - some redundancy there which is good.

But if both apps run on the same OS you can probably run them simultaneously on one device and swap between the two, or if the device has a large enough screen, in split screen mode. Depends on the specs of the device, but more recent ones will have no probs, I would think.

I find the split screen excellent on my Android tablet.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920471

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 19:43

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 19:43
Hema also used a rebadged version of OziExplorer way back when, so they have got around a bit.

After using Ozi for 20 years, the biggest thing I've found is not the functionality (although it's got lots) it's the choice of maps that's the best feature. You can use just about anything on it. Marine charts, satellite images, scanned images and all the normal stuff, the list goes on. No one map has everything, so choice is the key.

If anyone is interested, I run training courses in OziExplorer PC & Android version and I've also modified the menu layout (skin) in the Android version to make it much easier to use, so if you are in Perth and want to know more PM me.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641352

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 08:10

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 08:10
Years ago, pre Traveller, Exploroz also released skins for Ozi. They were pretty good on the little tablet I had at the time.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920474

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 10:16

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 10:16
"it's the choice of maps that's the best feature. You can use just about anything on it. "

That does seem to be one of the big attractions of Ozi, including the ability make your own maps. Not sure whether I'd use that feature, my requirements are pretty basic.

MM has options you can buy that appear to offer the same functionality. Has any had any experience of them?
FollowupID: 920475

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 10:51

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 10:51
I've used the MM "make your own map" option. It worked ok but I can't remember much about how well.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920476

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 12:54

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 12:54
hey, I've uploaded an Android skin to members file swap.
It's had 32 downloads but I've never had any feedback on it.

I mainly designed it for cross country travel. Works for me.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920478

Follow Up By: Rocket Rod - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 13:52

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2022 at 13:52
Hi Alan
I've downloaded your screen design and had a bit of a play. Not quite suited to what I do but nice all the same. I've just uploaded my menu system to the file swap area if you want to have a look .

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920479

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Aug 04, 2022 at 14:05

Thursday, Aug 04, 2022 at 14:05
Look's good Rod.
You've put a lot of work into it - I'll have to put a config button to my screens.

It's loaded now so I'll test it proper next time I'm out.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920484

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 23:29

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 23:29
Hi Guys,
I have used Memory Map for about 10 years. I purchased it because it ran on the iPad which I owned at the time and still own. The Hema map series is great and also the Hema Australia Topo 1:250000. This particular map stopped working after the NZ operation closed down, however it has since been restored. You do need to note that this map as well as the NSW, Vic and other Topo maps require an internet connection for them to function fully. If you are going to be away from a connection and you plan to use one of the topo maps you need to bulk down the section prior to moving going away. The Hema maps work regardless of the internet. The licencing arrangements have always been a little opaque and this has always been a minor annoyance. It works well for trackng your days travel giving the track followed and data of your travels. The maximum speed value often is insanely incorrect. however. A new version of the MM app has recently been released. It is called Memory Map for All. As yet I haven't had enough time to compare the old with the new.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641353

Sponsored Links