Outback in Bloom (ABC report)

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 09:59
ThreadID: 144295 Views:4833 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Many of us would have seen this scene before, and I for one, wish that I could get out there now.
The country in bloom transforms the "desert" and is a wonderful sight.

The ABC reports on the current state of the Outback due to recent rains.
It is really good for the pastoralists and this article may give newcomers some understanding of how the Outback country transforms after good rains.

Enjoy.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 11:49

Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 11:49
Lake Eyre Yacht Club link here: http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html#bottom
I note that PAR to Level Post Bay is now open. It had been shut due to "mining activity"Good news for those who wish to drive to the "shoreline".
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 641328

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 19:50

Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 19:50
Just a clarification Warrie.

The track has not been closed for mining activities on Muloorina Station.

The track was closed by Trevor, the owner of Muloorina Station as National Parks here in SA via our then Liberal State Government refused to continue payments in the maintenance of the track (Muloorina used to grade it)

If it is open again, it sounds like the change of Government have reinstated the maintenance fees to Trevor.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920428

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 20:18

Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 20:18
OK , place comment adjusted.
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920430

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 04, 2022 at 14:44

Thursday, Aug 04, 2022 at 14:44
Here's a story from the ABC on access to Level Post Bay (dated 28 July 22). It doesn't appear that there's been a resolution to the road maintenance but it's been declared open despite signs still saying it's closed.

Level Post Bay access

Quote from the article:

"A spokesperson for the Department of Environment and Water said the department is "looking into the matter".

In the meantime, the road will remain officially open but carry signage that it is closed."

Bob Backway from the Lake Eyre Yacht club says in the article that there's been a padlocked chain across the road since 2019. It doesn't say if this has been removed. It will make access difficult if it's still there!

Hopefully they'll get it sorted out properly soon.

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920485

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 04, 2022 at 15:34

Thursday, Aug 04, 2022 at 15:34
Shades of Yes Minister - the road is open but the sign says it's closed. It would be LOL but what can you say? It's crazy.
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920486

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 12:20

Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 12:20
I normally check the wind and satellite photos on windy.com each morning and it has been amazing to see how much cloud has crossed the WA northern west coast and travelled diagonally across Australia taking plenty of rain with it over the past 12 months or so.

Have a look what is coming from the top left.

AnswerID: 641329

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 17:31

Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 17:31
Went down to Cork Mail Road a few weeks ago, Allan, and there’s some beautiful examples along the way.

When in big areas like this, the Mulla Mullas have a mild but pleasant perfume. Adds to their appeal.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641332

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 20:57

Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 20:57
Ah, yes Bob.... the Mulla Mullas. Love 'em. Several years ago they were growing in abundance along the table drain of the Warrego Highway. I dug up a couple of bushes, put them in a plastic bag with damp newspaper and carted them over half of Australia until we got home.
Planted them in our garden and behold, they flourished for many weeks. I harvested some seeds but could not get them to propagate.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 920432

Follow Up By: Member - David & Kerry W - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 09:24

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 09:24
Love it Bob, thanks for posting.
David Wilson
FollowupID: 920436

Sponsored Links