ExplorOz trip update

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 09:47
ThreadID: 144266 Views:4333 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
Just wanted to check in and give you an update.
As you know, we have been away since June and are working on the road for a few months, certainly until September at this stage.

EDIT: new paragraph added here…
In the Help Desk auto reply we advise a wait time for replies from us could be up to 2 weeks and suggest people reach out to our network of other app users and give them a link to both the Forum and the Facebook group. There are many people who don’t use Facebook and would prefer the Forum option so this is why you will see people asking for help here.

Thought you'd like to see our bush office. Most of our active poi and mapping updates are done in the Traveller app as we travel along in the vehicle. But Help Desk and photo management and any programming is done at the "desk". We didn't bother to bring a boosted modem to improve our connectivity but can see that would be an advantage.

Both our Android phones have broken charge ports so won't charge on their usual charge cables but will charge if powered off and connected to the high speed Apple charger. Tried to buy new phones in Newman...not possible so limping along.

We have a whole suite of other devices...main tracking device is the T'Eyes headunit, but we find the iPad is the best performing device of all. We have a WiFi only 8th Gen with Garmin Glo 2
external GPS. Also have an IPad Air 4 with cellular and built in GPS. Neither are the "latest" models but are fast, quality devices and proving exceptional with the Traveller app and tracking. We've decided, much better than Android in this regard.

We also have 2 Windows laptops for our main work, customer service management, photo management (Help Desk, Lightroom, OneDrive, Premier Pro etc).

We power the laptops when working via lithium batteries in the Landcruiser and 2000w Redarc invertor charged by solar panels. There is plenty of sun...not a day without blue clear skies here in the Gascoyne and Pilbara where we've spent the whole of July.

We have stopped in the Marble Bar caravan park however for the past 3 nights but unpowered. Just using internet!! Lots of it.

Our camping setup is pretty basic compared to others but seems luxurious to us after swags and tents. Otherwise all going ok...we have only had one major argument ;)

Here's some pics to give you some idea.

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:04

Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:04
Well, if you have to work, that's the way to do it!!

Re Apple vs Android

My Android tablet (Samsung Tab S6) was top end when I got it, now superseded by Tab S8. It has performed flawlessly with Traveller and tracking, as far as I can tell. So I'm curious as to how the Apple gear " We've decided, [is] much better than Android in this regard."

Not a grump, just curious.

Cheers and safe travels.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641320

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 14:55

Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 14:55
I have used my S2 for year with no issue. Last trip end of June I treated myself to a new S8. I'm an Android/Samsung user and always will be.

Some family members have an Apple and trying to get my head around any issues they and ask for help..well it does my head in! Doesn't seem any logic to them. Never in all the years that I have used Samsung/Android have I needed to seek help or read a manual..it just seems to flow commonsense...as for Apple system I can never work out what branch of the tree has fruit!

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920403

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Aug 06, 2022 at 14:39

Saturday, Aug 06, 2022 at 14:39
Hi Frank,
David likes how the iOS on iPad deals with background use of the app. We test these devices closed but app running as we travel (as the main nav device is the head unit). When I pick up an iPad to investigate places on the map etc and the app launches from background to foreground it is much faster than our Android devices. On our 3 Android test devices (Android 12) this action is slower. The app needs to draw the Snail Trail as it opens from background to foreground from your last position to current and this function seems to be quicker on iOS for iPad.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920516

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:05

Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:05
That is one lovely office Michelle, thanks for sharing, keep up the great work, but most of all, keep enjoying.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641321

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:30

Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:30
Good for you Michelle and David. Happy that you've come around to the dark Apple side :) :) .
Not only that , you have an Ultimate camper !!!
Very discerning people obviously. Anyway, keep on travelling and no doubt updating everything along the way.
Will look forward to your published trek at the end.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641322

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 15:50

Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 at 15:50
Looking good. Check out Meentheena and Carawine while in the area.
AnswerID: 641324

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 13:29

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2022 at 13:29
We've been there before and did go there again yes.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920466

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Aug 05, 2022 at 11:57

Friday, Aug 05, 2022 at 11:57
That's the way to do it :-) We've just caught up with friends from TopWire Traveller who are living the same good life.
Keep up the good work!!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641372

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Aug 06, 2022 at 13:57

Saturday, Aug 06, 2022 at 13:57
Perhaps my post is too subtle for some….because we are away travelling remotely, the Help Desk does not get responded to other than an auto responder until we get service. In the auto reply we advise a wait time could be up to 2 weeks and suggest people reach out to our network of other app users and give them a link to both the Forum and the Facebook group. There are many people who don’t use Facebook and would prefer the Forum option so this is why you will see people asking for help here. Do not abuse them or grumble - these are our customers and we provide our Forum as a communication tool to connect the people of the ExplorOz community together for collaboration and help. I encourage the Forum audience to contemplate this and exercise some tolerance and encourage those who can to help them by answering their questions please.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641386

Sponsored Links