Cleaning in between Cab & Canopy windows

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 15:48
ThreadID: 143771 Views:5066 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I tried to post this on the archived thread about this but it wouldn't allow it.
Anyway, I have a Triton with an Alpha GSE-L Caddy Canopy which sits so close to the cab that there is just a 15 mm gap between the two in some areas.
Now, I had 4 years worth of road & bush grime built up on both windows and finding something to get in there was a no go.
I tried the sponge on a rope as suggested in the other thread but that didn't work, it got stuck and the sponge disintegrated.
This is how I eventually did it:
Went to Bunnings and bought a roll of plastic garden edging which is 100mm wide by 10 meters in length & it is very flexible, 5mm thick & super strong. It is usually a dirty mission brown colour or charcoal.

All you do is cut it to a meter in length, then cut in on each side by 25mm along the entire length with tin snips leaving about 50mm at one end that is still 100mm wide.
You end up with a fly swatter shape.
Roughen up both sides of the 100mm end & get a pack of square sponges from Coles or Big w.
Coat both sides of the widest part of your fly swatter shaped length of garden edging with a decent contact cement and do the same to one side of each sponge.
When the contact is ready bring all three pieces together.
Soap it up and it works a treat without any hassle at all. My two windows are now sparkling clean without any effort at all. Only took 30 mins to make but I wouldn't be without it now.
Just a hint: Rinse out the sponges and let them dry completely before you apply contact to them because they are impregnated with some fluid to stop them drying out in the shops. Once they are completely dry the contact cement sticks to them and the plastic piece extremely well.
Mine was still a tight squeeze in spots but the sponge didn't budge. If you have a wide gap just use thicker sponges which you can get from Coles etc too.
Hope this helps anyone in the same situation
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 16:12

Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 16:12
The thread he is referring to is ThreadID: 60138 -Submitted: Friday, Jul 25, 2008 at 14:05.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640694

Reply By: Member - William B - Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 16:45

Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 16:45
Hi Bluey_Zarsoff.
I have a Triton and have recently brought a second hand EGR canopy.
The reason I brought the more expensive EGR canopy was because it has a window you can undo to get to the Ute window.
If you had posted earlier I could have saved some money
Lol.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640695

Reply By: nick g1 - Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 08:41

Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 08:41
Hi Bluey
Where you a member of the Sydney 70s and 80s Band The Zarsoff Brothers?
AnswerID: 640696

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 09:21

Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 09:21
Hi Bluey,

Could you please post a couple of photos of your “window cleaner” for those of us that are more visual oriented?

Thanks.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640697

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 15:11

Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 15:11
What about truck wash spray on hose off.
AnswerID: 640719

Sponsored Links