EOTraveller

Submitted: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 20:02
ThreadID: 143755 Views:4770 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Tried EOTraveller on my iPhone 8 during a recent trip to the Eyre Peninsula.
Worked OK from Adelaide to Kimba, then down to Elliston, but then went "haywire", showing a direct track from Elliston to Coffin Bay across the water, rather than follow the highway we travelled on.
Was so disappointed I shut the Traveller app off and relied on my trusty Hema Navigator to keep an accurate track of our entire trip.
The phone sits in a cradle on the dash and should record the track OK.

The Hema HN6 is getting a bit dated and I will probably need to replace it with the HX-2 in the future.
I certainly can't rely on EOTraveller with any confidence whatsoever.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 20:20

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 20:20
There are number of reasons for this. If the app is shut down for any reason (eg you close it, phone battery dies) and then you restart it, it will draw a straight line from the point where it was shut down to the point where it restarted.

Likewise if it loses GPS.

There is also a setting that may assist.
Menu/Tracking & Settings.
Scroll to Tracker Settings
Turn off Stop on app close.
This will reveal Start on device boot. Turn that on.

Hope that helps.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640660

Reply By: Member - Chris F3 - Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 20:38

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 20:38
Great tip thanks
ChrisnChris

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640661

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 01:40

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 01:40
Bill,

How did it show you this was it the tracking or snail trail you are referring. You mentioned it went haywire - what does this mean? Did you try the export positions for the date you had the problem to see what was actually recorded within the device. We have thousands of users, recording hundreds or trips per week and have not had any reports of this happening. We will be glad to render any assistance and have a look at what happened, please just jump on the Help Desk link at the bottom of the page and create a job so we can have a look at what happened to determine the reason and provide advice or fixes.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640663

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 09:52

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 09:52
Most common reason for getting a straight line on snail trails is lack of GPS signal on a ANY GPS device IME .
Before blaming your tools why do you not find out the problem first ?? As its working for most . P.s. least you will get a reply / help from traveller which is more than you'll get from Hema in my experience
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640664

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 10:47

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 10:47
Hi Nick,

You may be right, but my experience with EOTraveller has not been good over the years.
I have had a similar experience when trialing an earlier version (with an iPhone 6) and David identified a glitch at the time between the app and iphone.
The phone sits in a dash mounted charging holder while traveling and the app was active.
The Hema did not lose GPS signal and neither should the iPhone.

I'm not bagging EOTraveller as such, just that the combination of the app running on an iphone is not consistent to be a reliable tool in my experience,
The only time the Hema has lost signal is when disconnecting and reapplying power to the device. It may enter a "shut down" state, instead of sleep mode, but I am aware of this peculiarity and keep my eye on it when turning off/on the ignition.
I would love to have an alternative to the Hema, but consistency and reliability are at the forefront of any alternative.
I also have an ipad, but the size of this device creates mounting in the car prohibitive.

My application for a tracking device is to have a moving map display to view and the ability to record my trips for future references. Both the Hema and a Spot device I own do this.
I am still to be convinced EOTraveller/iphone combination to be a reliable alternative. It is too late to correct once tracking has been lost for any reason.
I will keep "trialing" the app/iphone and modifying any settings that may improve reliability, but at this stage, my go to device is Hema Navigator. Unfortunately, the new Hema is not compatible with Exploroz maps, which is my preferred reference maps.
I will follow up with the help desk to see if David/Michelle can identify a potential problem.
Bill

FollowupID: 919744

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 12:27

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 12:27
Bill : i too have had my share of these problems & i have a hx1 witch i like .. maybe we expect to much from the GPS on these devices.

I use a android tab for gps tracking in a tractor & its far from perfect. Getting a different tracking line/trail if heading in different directions ie north or south on the same path ..

Good luck with sorting out your woes ????

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 919745

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 09:34

Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 09:34
All I can say is that there are hundreds of people who are using the Exploroz Traveller app on their IPhones and IPads successfully. I would humbly suggest there is something that you are doing or not doing that is causing the particular issue that you are experiencing. No offence intended, but have you checked the operating manual to ensure you are using the app correctly? Particularly the section on “Off Line” usage.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919752

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 07:33

Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 07:33
I have made a couple of setting changes as has been suggested, but I am unable to confirm if these have had any positive effect.
I am unlikely to take another trip over long distances for some time, so cannot determine if my reported problem has been resolved.

In the meantime, I will rely on Hema Navigator as my reliable device of choice.
Should I upgrade to a HX-1 or HX-2, I will lose the ability to use EOTopo maps and will need to rely on the Hema alternatives.

Bill

AnswerID: 640717

Sponsored Links