Article Comment: Steep Point

We are heading to Steep Point soon and have nabbed a spot camping at Shelter Bay however only have 2 nights and still have to change sites each day. I am looking for some advice about logistics of seeing as much of Steep Point as we can. If towing (Ultimate camper) to Shelter Bay but also wanting to visit False Entrance for sight seeing, what order do people do it (ie. do you make the detour on the day you drive in, or continue north to setup camp first then double back another day)? Just seems a lot of driving/doubling back. Or do you leave it for the day you pull out? When we leave, we are heading to Francois Peron. Open to ideas/comments please.

I've got an alternative - could go to Francois Peron first and change my camp booking to False Entrance. Assuming I understand correctly that towing to there would be less hassle than towing all the way to Shelter Bay. Then we can use that as a base and drive without trailer on the sandy/slower sections to Steep Point/Shelter Bay/Blowholes etc. Is that a better option?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GG7777 - Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 18:25

Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 18:25
Michelle
We did the area you talk of including DHI last year in a GU Ute with PiggyBack slide-on ( actually an Ultimate clone )
We went in and continued south to False Entrance, camping there for 3 nights, we then travelled as close to coast as possible north to Steep Point. We stayed at Shelter Bay overnight then out to DHI for a week. On return to mainland stayed 2 nights at the sites nearest to Steep Point ( The Oven/Faultline can’t remember which ) before coming back out along the northern coastline of the peninsula
I would not say we did it right or wrong BUT don’t miss any, it is a beautiful part of this beautiful country.
Everyone travels different and everyone want different things, but, our trip was good, no make that great, and I am sure yours will be also.
I know you are extremely well versed in travelling/Explor(ing) Oz, so are sure you will work out a suitable itinerary
Murray
AnswerID: 640571

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 20:47

Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 20:47
Michelle,
I think you will prefer shelter bay as your campsite. We were there last year, and road in was OK for trailer.
ian
AnswerID: 640574

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 11:41

Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 11:41
Thanks for the replies to my questions in this post (and others that have contacted me privately).
Have now decided to keep the Shelter Bay booking, forget about FP (been there previously and can do this another time) and go over to DHI which we wanted to do anyway but hesitated thinking we didn't have enough time but we have rearranged things and can do it now.

So next question is about Dirk Hartog Island. Some say base camp at the Homestead and do day trips but we are very likely to want to drive the entire thing so that we can document all the sites etc so that's a lot of backtracking to come back to camp each day.

So thinking of splitting a 6 day stay across a few camp locations. Can't find much info that gives me much confidence about the other National Park campsites (other than Louisa) to determine which site to pick for the northern base. Ideas? Comments please?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640586

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 13:43

Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 13:43
Hi Michelle - the island is bigger than it sounds.
To go back to the homestead each day is unrealistic; it will take ages.

I just "fly camped" when I was there - didn't even visit the homestead.
I know you have the camper trailer - there's plenty of space on the northern side of the island (both sides).
If you're not into fishing then spots will be easier to find.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919666

Follow Up By: bellony - Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 14:54

Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 14:54
We have towed our Kimberley up the top of DHI twice. The island tracks are rough slow going, from the barge to the top was about 4+ hrs from memory. Withnell and Turtle Bay are both good spots. Dampier can be a bit dodgy with trailers. Any of the west side camps are OK. We havn't driven from east to west across the middle of the island but rangers did tell us a few years ago that they didn't advise towing across there so maybe worth asking the homestead for an update. As already stated you dont want to be driving back and forth to the Homestead, waste of time and fuel. Make sure you do your fuel calculations, we averaged 18.8 L/100 and 20.6 L/100 towing with a 100 series TD. For reference we average about 14.2 on the hwy. I did read somewhere recently that the homestead would sell pre-arranged fuel but at $4.40 so worth taking as many Jerry cans as you can fit.
Its a great place, shame its so hard to get bookings these days.
FollowupID: 919667

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 16:35

Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 16:35
Bellony and Equinox, thank you for this very useful info. That really helps.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919670

Sponsored Links