OziExplorer and/or Exploroz?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 21:57
ThreadID: 143666 Views:4877 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
After throwing in the towel with Hema I'm hoping to set up a tablet where I can store all my past and future trips. I'm an Exploroz member for a long time but I see people here also use this Oziexplorer and was wondering what the best option is? I just want one place to keep everything and to record my trips. Sorry if it seems a bit cheeky on here as I assume OE is a competitor? Can anyone chime in and help me from going cross-eyed with all the options?

cheers,
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - BenKFNQ - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 10:42

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 10:42
Hi Brian,

I previously used OzieExplorer when I made use of a lot of Topo's. It was a bit 'clunkier', only worked with PC or Android, and I used it on a laptop both for planning and then as we travelled. I haven't had the need to use it for some years now.

ExplorOz has more than enough detail for touring Aus and I do like the way tracks are saved 'in the cloud' and also easily shared with others both in live time or via files and there is a huge database of tracks available also.

Ozie didn't do that (when I was using it at least) but I had a lot of data saved onto it, with images and track notes, that cross-referenced to paper Topo maps and was then 'relatively' easily sent to others to make use of that data (yes, this was a work situation).

My use of ExplorOz is still developing but there is a great community and backup service for questions that was impossible to get with OzieExplorer.

Hope that helps, others will have more experience with both systems.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640427

Reply By: Big Bertha - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 15:07

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 15:07
Thanks for the info. I sat up and checked out some video reviews etc and I agree with you. I think I'll just use the Exploroz on an iPad mini and go from there. Will take a little while to get my head around it but like you said, there's a good community that will assist :)
AnswerID: 640430

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 18:09

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 18:09
I've used both products for years and for me there are 2 very important points to realise. If you have an Apple iPad then ExplorOz is your only choice along with the greater expense that brings. The other (most important point is) map selection. With ExplorOz you can choose one map and it's for Australia only. With OziExplorer you can use pretty much any map you like. Marine charts, satellite images, calibrated scanned images plus all the other commercial maps from around the world. On every trip I compare my map collection with ExplorOz and there is always a difference between them i.e. tracks on my maps but not on ExplorOz. A big advantage with ExplorOz is ongoing development and support.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640433

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Monday, May 09, 2022 at 10:28

Monday, May 09, 2022 at 10:28
Exploroz traveller will tick all the boxes for you. If you can remember (or find via dates on photos) the date you went down that little track back in 2021 you can search it... and traveller will come up with the snail trail which you can make into a personal trek - everything gets stored. Once you actually read the manual it is very easy to use. I used to make maps for my OziExplorer from my collections of 1:25000 topographic maps - it was time consuming but possible to calibrate them quite accurately but lots of out of date/closed or unused/overgrown tracks around now with so much closed off. I still refer to paper maps on occasion - if looking for something historical (and best kept secret - like old Bora rings etc). - ExplorOz traveller is much simpler and as we use it we are improving its accuracy - it is the future of mapping in my opinion.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640468

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 15:35

Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 15:35
Here is a question for those that use the traveller app…….

I am true Ozi convert, having been using it faultlessly for over 20 years.

Can you connect a handheld GPS to your device and download the data from it? As I think the answer would be no?

Am I correct in my answer?

I just love the fact that I can use my topo maps with Ozi, with many of my very high scale details not seen on the ExplorOz maps.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640515

Reply By: David I1 - Friday, May 13, 2022 at 10:07

Friday, May 13, 2022 at 10:07
As for updated maps. Google Get Lost Maps. These are constantly being updated. There is great detail, for all of Australia. They are able to be used on a variety of mapping platforms.
AnswerID: 640520

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, May 13, 2022 at 13:43

Friday, May 13, 2022 at 13:43
Just tried a Getlost map for one of my favourite NPs ....... EOTOPO leaves it for dead. Detail and clarity of the EOTopo are miles ahead in this case.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919604

Follow Up By: David I1 - Friday, May 13, 2022 at 14:18

Friday, May 13, 2022 at 14:18
But Get Lost is essentially free if you like. Each to their own, but the concern about Oxi was that there were no maps available. Not sure if EOTOPO works on Ozi, and dont care if it does. Not sure what detail you need on a map that is lacking on Get lost maps , but clarity is fine on my samsung!
FollowupID: 919605

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, May 13, 2022 at 18:21

Friday, May 13, 2022 at 18:21
Jim

You can not buy the new OzTopo maps to work with Ozi, only to be used for the Travellers App only.

It’s a catch 22 situation, you might like the maps, but if you do not have there App, bad luck..

There would be thousands of people still using Ozi, that have not intention to buying another mapping system to replace the one that they have , that works faultlessly, and that includes me.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919606

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, May 13, 2022 at 19:24

Friday, May 13, 2022 at 19:24
Sounds like you're happy ....... I'm happy too ...... so all good !!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919608

Sponsored Links