Which ipad advice ??

Submitted: Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 21:19
ThreadID: 143665 Views:4615 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to purchase an ipad , only ever had a laptop previously.. which ipad might people suggest please?
My useage would be mapping ,emailing , storage for photos ,searching inyernet for various information and possibly banking ..

Thankyou for suggestions .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 08:36

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 08:36
Hi Pepper,

Are you looking at Apple products, as an IPad is an Apple brand name, or are you just looking at a “tablet”?

What ever you choose, either Apple or Android platform, you will need both WiFi and a SIM card in order to have the efficiency that you are seeking.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640422

Follow Up By: Briste - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 17:38

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 17:38
My understanding is that you don't need SIM capability on Android to get GPS. That's only on Apple.
FollowupID: 919494

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 22:16

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 22:16
Hi Briste,

That may be true for GPS, but the OP also wants to be able to access the Internet from the tablet, for that you need a SIM card. Of course you could link the tablet to your phone and achieve the same result. Although this will see you use up not only the battery in the tablet, but also your phone at the same time.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919497

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, May 06, 2022 at 16:46

Friday, May 06, 2022 at 16:46
@ Macca - extra SIM = extra data plan = extra $. Using an existing data plan on your phone and creating hotspot as required would seem a logical choice.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 919503

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 09:34

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 09:34
I purchased my first iPad about 8-10 years ago and also purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) with the intention of using the TAB for navigation on an 8 week USA trip.

I find the TAB so much easier to use and much closer to the way you use a PC, I hardly ever use the iPad any more.

I connect either item to my wifi network at home or hotspot it to my phone when out and about so there is no need for any additional SIM card.
AnswerID: 640425

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 20:58

Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 20:58
I’m the opposite. I refused to use an apple product for a lot of years, but now prefer the iPad ( latest model) to the Samsung tablet which is now the wife’s browsing tablet.
FollowupID: 919511

Reply By: Member - BenKFNQ - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 10:28

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 10:28
The base iPad would do the job for you based on your description of what you want it for. The iPad Air has the faster chip and I think it is faster with transfer speeds if you are saving all those photos onto a separate hard drive. With either one, and as stated previously, the one with built-in GPS (sold as WiFi + Cellular) is more convenient to use and if you stick a data Sim into it, you don't need to HotSpot to search the net.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640426

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 16:59

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 16:59
Yep, the regular iPad with Wi-Fi plus Cellular works a treat. Make sure you get enough storage ...... 64GB minimum, but more for decent sized photo storage.
There are cheaper options in other brands, but we've always used Apple and been very satisfied. They just work !!!
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640432

Reply By: 2517. - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 21:21

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 21:21
Don’t know about maps but you do not need cellular as one reply said it will automatically hotspot to your phone.As for photos all you need to do is turn iCloud on and open a account and that problem is solved so when you are on wifi it will load them to the cloud.Do a search for The ipadman he has a lot of free videos where you will learn a lot.Storing photos on hard drives is old hat now ask yourself what happen is you lose the drive or it stolen or break down plus you can access the photos anywhere in the world off the cloud.I assume you have a iPhone which you would use to take photos otherwise stick with android.
AnswerID: 640437

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 22:29

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 22:29
Lots of discussion about iPads on this site. Check the hardware requirements for EO Traveller if you think you might want to use this app for mapping and navigation. You should also check the requirements of similar mapping/navigation apps as they tend to be resource intensive and need more than just a minimum spec device. If you buy a wifi only iPad you will need an external gps for navigation. This is cheaper than buying a cellular iPad and there is lots of info on this site about options and how to set it up. Note a wifi only device without an inbuilt gps will know where it is, but only when it is connected to the internet.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 919498

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, May 06, 2022 at 14:25

Friday, May 06, 2022 at 14:25
I use a Samsung Android Tablet. I prefer it to an iPad. That is personal preference. I suggest you have a look at both to find which suits your needs.

My Samsung has a GPS and for mapping I use Oziexplorer and ExplorOz applications.

I do not have a sim card but for the internet I use my Samsung phone as a hotspot.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

AnswerID: 640440

Reply By: Michael H9 - Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 00:39

Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 00:39
In short, Android tablets have GPS no matter whether they have a SIM slot or not. Apple iPads only have GPS built in if they have a SIM slot. You don't need a SIM card in the slot for the GPS chip to work. Maps are separate from the GPS, just because you have a GPS chip in the tablet doesn't mean you have any maps to view. The maps come separately, either loaded by you into the tablet beforehand, or downloaded via mobile data as you drive which is the case for Google Maps. You need the tablet to have internet either by a SIM card plan or by hotspotting to your phone for the maps to be downloading as you drive.
My suggestion is if you have an Android phone, then get an Android tablet, if you have an Apple phone, get an Apple tablet. In both cases, the apps are good for both devices without having to pay for programs twice. I've had an iPhone and iPad, plus I've had Android phones and Android tablets. They are all much of a muchness, so I only use Android now because it's cheaper for the same thing and the Apple commercialized ecosystem sort of bugs me. The lack of a GPS chip on WIFI iPads is also a deal breaker for me. I've used external GPS units and they are great but they're just another thing you have to keep charged and find a place for in your driving space, plus if you want to take the tablet for a walk then it's an extra thing in you pocket. If you can afford it, just get a data SIM for the tablet. It can be a cheap addon to your phone plan with data pooling across all your phones. Life is so less complicated without having to hotspot the tablet all the time and your phone battery will thank you.
AnswerID: 640446

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 08:18

Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 08:18
Fully agree. The advantage of a tablet with a SIM is that you can have one carrier's SIM in the phone and the other carriers sum in the tablet. I always buy tablets with a SIM slot.
FollowupID: 919505

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 10:34

Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 10:34
They only sell phone sums in New Zealand :-)
FollowupID: 919507

Reply By: Pepper - Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 10:03

Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 10:03
thankyou for all the replies..
AnswerID: 640447

Reply By: 2517. - Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 11:42

Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 11:42
Hi ,I think Apple has the best photos apps and they are easy to use.Recently I had a trip with 40 photos and a few short videos,put them in a album and told Apple to make a memory,it was amazing did the start and finish with the right photos and even played the right music,my mate wanted to know who did it,beating looking at photos which reminds me of slide nights 40 years ago, I don’t think google photos do this.(You can still edit it).
AnswerID: 640448

Reply By: Member - David H72 - Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 11:53

Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 11:53
It’s not as simple as is being suggested about cost.
Samsung made a big song and dance a year or two ago about providing operating system and security updates for 2 or maybe 3 years. (I just checked, it’s 4 years for devices from 2019 on.)
Compare that to Apple who support their devices with at least 6 years of operating system updates and more importantly, security updates. I have a iPhone 6S Plus bought in December 2016 and it still, until the end of this year, is running on the latest operating system. Security updates will continue for another year or two.
I like the security that provides, especially for banking etc.

David
Melbourne Vic. Land Rover Disco 4, AOR Matrix Pop Top

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640449

Sponsored Links