Gluepot to Danggali

Submitted: Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 16:36
ThreadID: 143663 Views:3463 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone knew the technicalities of going from Danggali to Gluepot round the back. I understand the Morgan Mail rd is public access, but does anyone know if the connecting roads are public access. I've been checking the official DEW map,but they give little information besides the existence of roads.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 17:14

Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 17:14
Hi Flavian

To get to Gluepot, you turn at the Church at Taylorville and just keep going as until you reach the information centre. There are around 3 gates to open and close, but always keeps the gates as you found them.

Now for your next question.

You will have 2 choices to get to Danggali.

After back tracking to Taylorville from Gluepot, you can either stick to the bitumen and go all the way to Renmark, turn left up Ral Ral Avenue and head out on the main Wentworth Road, then head north at the sign to Danggali.

If you intend to go back towards Morgan, the Mail Road id all public access and will bring you out at a sort of T junction. Left take you north towards Morgan Vale ruins, or turning south will then take you to the Danggali Conservation Park.

To go into the actual park, you will have to head south and then at Canopus turn off and that will then take you into the camping areas and the two main drives that you can do through the park.

You must remember, it might look close to Renmark, but you are in very remote country and no phone service what so ever, so you will have to treat this as any remote area trip.

Like any outback area, keep an eye on the weather, as if its wet, do not attempt to head on any of the dirt tracks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640419

Follow Up By: Flavian - Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 17:33

Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 17:33
Cheers for that. What I was trying to ask though is I've heard hearsay of backroads from the Gluepot station that take you north through to the old mail rd to Danggali. I can see them on the map, and even google shows the route, but I'm not sure if those roads are station roads or public, since they seem to be station border tracks.
FollowupID: 919489

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 17:44

Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 17:44
Ok, see what you mean, but I know hey are very strict at Gluepot and you are only able to travel on their designated roads.

You will have to give the relief rangers a phone call, it would be up to them if they give you permission to use tracks that are usually closed to the public.

You can call them on this number 08 - 8892 8600
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919490

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 21:16

Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 21:16
I have tried a couple of times to get in and out of Gluepot via various routes (apart from south) and failed.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 640420

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 11:11

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 11:11
The only times I have been on the Gluepot tracks outside the main, publicly accessible area (which includes those giving access in the direction of Dangalli) is on Birds Australia workshops and work groups. Even then, with strict oversight from the organisers. As far as I am aware they have no intention of (indeed, appear demonstrably opposed to) giving access to these tracks for recreational or other use.

As for how these tracks connect outside the Birds Australia (or the Riverland Biosphere- formerly Bookmark- Reserve) I have no idea.

Certainly contact them, as per Stephen's suggestion, but I don't fancy your chances.

PS: you're probably aware but just in case, it's called Gluepot for very good reason. I've never seen a surface so unfriendly to forward motion after rain! Pick your times.??

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 640428

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 16:03

Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 16:03
The Gluepot Reserve website says the only access is from the south:

https://www.gluepot.org/visit-us/location/

"Please note – there is only 1 way into Gluepot and that is via Lunn Road as described below. Other ways suggested by Google Maps have locked gates."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640431

Sponsored Links