missing couple - Victorian high country

Submitted: Monday, Nov 15, 2021 at 23:22
ThreadID: 142862 Views:6242 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Help police....I am former member of explore oz and was keen 4wd'r... not current member. ( guest)

SEEN ON NEWS: wish to mention to all members & visitors to site in Vic/NSW to be on lookout for vehicle/s police are searching for, last seen in that remote area.
Also good chance someone knows some info amongst 4wders/caravanners/camper membership.
Missing couple were in high country- see in news reports.
MG
Perth.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 07:14

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 07:14
More info please Mike. There's not enough here for anyone to help much.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638615

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:05

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:05
Probably talking about the couple who vanished mysteriously a couple of years ago and who police believe have met foul play. They have a good description of a vehicle seen leaving the area at about the right time which shouldn't be difficult to trace. May or may not be related.

Missing campers
FollowupID: 917153

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:37

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:37
As good a guess as any, Bazooka!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917156

Reply By: mike g2 - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 11:03

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 11:03
Quote from 9 news:Detectives have narrowed down the details of a dark blue Nissan Patrol that could be connected to the high-profile case of missing Victorian campers Carol Clay and Russell Hill.
The vehicle police are looking for is understood to be a five-door wagon GU model Nissan Patrol Series 1, built between 1997 and 2001.
Police have high hopes the four-wheel-drive could be the key to discovering what happened to the pair, who vanished while camping in the Wonnagatta Valley last March.

see pics i added from news. this is not only vehicle, i believe also looking for a white car. has ben in news a lot here in WA.
the 4x4 would be serviced somewhere, or tyres bought/fitted somewhere or camper came from dealer/ second hand scource . ( some are built up ) . exp- oz community has lots of eyes.. assist police and tell mates. Of note is apparent hunting (deer) in area.
AnswerID: 638617

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 12:53

Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 at 12:53
If the white car you speak of is a ute then Police have stated they have spoken to the owner/driver and verified their story and intent as totally innocent.
No further need to talk to the operator of this particular white vehicle.

The blue Patrol is an entirely different matter,
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 917167

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Nov 23, 2021 at 16:33

Tuesday, Nov 23, 2021 at 16:33
A man from Caroline Springs in NW Melbourne has been arrested regarding the incident.
AnswerID: 638686

Follow Up By: Member - Rodney J2 - Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 08:42

Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 08:42
As yet no charges have been laid!
FollowupID: 917326

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 10:52

Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 10:52
Yes and if he shuts up and makes no admissions, then it is up to the cops to produce the evidence (not circumstantial) that links him to the scene. Probably hard for the cops to do.
FollowupID: 917332

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 13:17

Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 13:17
Very true OzzieCruiser though having an identical blue patrol right down to roof rack and other bits in your driveway on Google in 2019 and then an identical vehicle but now beige in 2021 gives the Police a powerful incentive to dig. I was reading an article on this earlier today and now can't find it, the link may have proved of interest to others.

Edit: Just found the article again, Trailer

The alleged ownership and then disappearance of a box trailer around the time of the alleged migration from blue to beige should also be somewhat verifiable and of interest to the Police.

Agreed it's all circumstantial but rather pointed circumstances. One would suspect their line of questioning is around the why on both colour change and trailer disposal.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917336

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 21:30

Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 21:30
Presumably the police believe the trailer was likely used to remove the bodies. Irrespective of who was involved, the crime was horrific.

Update: seems he may be co-operating with police as they've established a crime scene and will be searching for bodies.

"Investigators set sights in a site in the alpine region
Crime Command assistant commissioner Bob Hill says the investigation into the deaths of Mr Hill and Ms Clay is far from over. Investigators have now focused their attention on finding the remains of the pair. Mr Hill said police had identified a crime scene in Victoria’s great alpine area this morning, where they will begin searching for Mr Hill and Ms Clay’s remains in coming days. The major crime scene, missing persons, search and rescue and forensic squads will be involved in the search.
Police are hopeful they will locate the deceased and provide closure to the family,” he said.
“My heartfelt thoughts are with the Hill and Clay families ... I know their grief remains as raw as ever.”
FollowupID: 917347

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 14:17

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 14:17
According to the Sydney Morning Herald today, he has been charged with two murders.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917358

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 16:02

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 16:02
Yep, charged yesterday Frank. Suggests police think they have adequate evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, to proceed. They appear to have kept certain info out of the public domain at this point, as you'd expect.
FollowupID: 917359

Reply By: Winner W - Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 06:28

Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 06:28
Interesting . The couples drone is missing and they too. Old fella new the remote area verywell. Perhaps he accidentally flew over or spotted somebody's non registered " herbs and spice farm " and that sealed their fate ?
AnswerID: 638702

Follow Up By: Briste - Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 09:16

Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 09:16
That was certainly one of the theories, the problem being that no sign of such a farm was ever found in the subsequent extensive searches of the area. And extensive searches were always going to be the end result of whatever happened, and thus the disappearance of the couple and trashing of the campsite were unlikely to have been done to conceal illegal activities in the area.
FollowupID: 917328

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 15:02

Thursday, Nov 25, 2021 at 15:02
Or the other option is his drone filmed some illegal deer hunting in the vicinity of the camp.
There'd be potentially no trace in the surrounding bush of the hunt and the removal of the couple potentially removes witnesses.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917340

Reply By: mike g2 - Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 16:07

Friday, Nov 26, 2021 at 16:07
Thanks to everyone, such a case can be assisted by use of community posts for obvious reasons as we all have a common like for a start. The Australian bush has been the site of many a case of lawbreaking over the years. Theories about what may have happened are to be expected /common but not necessarily helpful. now that someone is under detailed investigation, i am happy to close this thread. Moderator ? pls. MG
AnswerID: 638711

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Nov 27, 2021 at 09:41

Saturday, Nov 27, 2021 at 09:41
Think I saw on tv Police briefly interviewed him originally early on in the disappearance, my guess is they had him as a suspect for a long time but just never had enough evidence
AnswerID: 638712

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Nov 27, 2021 at 16:44

Saturday, Nov 27, 2021 at 16:44
Mike g2
Why do you now want people to stop posting on this thread? it is probably a way for many to keep updated with the issue if not gleaned from other sources. Some folk seem to want out and expect others to stop sharing thoughts or info, even though they started a thread. This happened recently in another thread when the replies were not what the poster wanted/expected and he didn't want to be drawn on the info he provided..
Some people live in WA, well away from the area, while some live next door to this Patrol bloke and others have camped near him, so maybe it is of interest as the issue continues.
AnswerID: 638714

Follow Up By: mike g2 - Saturday, Nov 27, 2021 at 19:16

Saturday, Nov 27, 2021 at 19:16
Hmm....Good point, accept your comment. am ex EX OZ member, now visitor. The post started quite a bit of interest as was my idea to assist police thru EX OZ peer group when i saw it on news.
My idea for suggesting slowing the posts was aimed at the "theories" being proposed- they are to be expected as I mentioned. I personally consider these may muddy the waters, agree with its not what i had in my mind. but I also see I shouldn't try to impose my ideas on others as mentioned by yourself.

Even I thought at least several options for the case being formerly trained and experienced in the outback. In my time I've seen the 200 or so cages ( and animal bits) left behind by illegal black flights in NW - during patrol with Pilbara Regiment( birds and reptile smuggling). The raiders had fired at the station staff /manager!. it is a highly lucrative trade for black market.

( ARes late 80's- mid 90's, on ex with Pilbara regiment)
Thus the law enforcement viewpoint- LLOP's tng.
Assumed most people knew of this via news reports. I have travelled WA, NSW, Vic, SA etc a lot during various c/van and several camping trips + 4x4 in several Nat Parks in the mid 90's- 2010. inc 4x 4 with club and for tng ex. min exp is WA . AO for my Coy was Pilbara. Completed several NW ex inc Kangaroo 85, 89.

att see a quick pic from travels.

So, RMD, Thanks, ! ... go for it guys- post and reply to your hearts desires.
MG.
FollowupID: 917372

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 16:32

Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 16:32
Mike g2,
Your reply sounds interesting and I suspect you've had either military or law enforcement experience.

The acronym soup tends to lose people more than the odd theory does.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917374

Follow Up By: mike g2 - Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 17:29

Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 17:29
kudos to you. a lifetime member.

Yes. Am ex ARes. ( 7 Fd Amb, then Med Coy 13 BASB ) 6 yrs. ranks, then commissioned. normal Mil tng , then several courses inc RBOC, LLOPS , survival , EN party and basic sniper tng. participated in several tri-annual exercises with various forces + Pilbara Regiment. Time in Army was best exp .as you saw from my mention of black flights in NW . many other stories to tell.

lots of places -a few km s or so!. I remember the red dirt well. sample pic given, will dig up my old stuff if anyone wants.

MG.
FollowupID: 917378

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 17:35

Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 17:35
I always find the ex-ADF people have some great life stories. I have a mate whose ex-2nd Commando out of Holsworthy.
He's done tours of East Timor (first unit to land among the Indonesians), a couple of tours of Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan and a few places he can't talk about.
Some of his stories are quite funny and others......

Always interesting if you want to share your experience.

Lifetime Member is just a few extra dollars, works out Ok if you hang around long enough. Though I have been inactive for quite a few years due to some ankle structural issues.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917379

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 19:46

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 19:46
Latest news on this matter

missing-campers-russell-hill-carol-clay-human-remains-found

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638734

Follow Up By: mike g2 - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 20:14

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 20:14
Like your quote on Giles , Greg. yes, i saw the news on that/ will be a waiting game for ID now.

MG
FollowupID: 917416

Sponsored Links