Stone Guards

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 07, 2021 at 23:03
ThreadID: 142694 Views:6872 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at stone guards to protect my camper. Any recommendations on Stone Stomper or Rock Tamers. Looking for the best solution. However, want some solid for and against information from those that have used them.....
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 07:21

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 07:21
Hi

There is only one true option that is 100% South Australian made to suit your vehicle and camper combo and not just an off the shelf, overseas made product.

The Stone Stomper is the only way to go to give you peace of mind for the protection of both your camper and your vehicle.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638237

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 07:56

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 07:56
I have previously owned Rock Tamers. On a particular trip along the Birdsville Track, I was astounded at the amount of visible stones being ejected sideways, regardless of the adjustable angle set. I was actually concerned how I could be responsible for damage to other vehicles passing in either direction by missiles ejected from my wheels.
I was that disappointed with the Rock Tamers that I sold them following that trip.

I subsequently purchased the Stone Stompers and have been using them for several years now. Not only have I been totally satisfied with the product, but my two friends who travel with me have fitted them to their vehicle rigs.

The two products are Chalk and Cheese in my opinion, with the Stone Stomper "trapeze" exceling on all counts. Any stones, etc. are contained by the mesh suspended between the vehicle and trailer.

You will not be disappointed with the Stone Stomper product and Christian and his team offer excellent after sales support as well.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 638238

Follow Up By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 13:44

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 13:44
My experience with the two products is similar.
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 916597

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 08:51

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 08:51
Hi Stinga,

Both will do what you want them to do, and that is protect the front of your camper and the rear of your car.

As has been pointed out, Rock Tamers are in fact oversize “mud flaps”, and will “ricochet” stones and rocks to the side. The Stone Stomper is a large “trapeze” style net that generally will ricochet stones and rocks down.

There are two issues with the Stone Stomper that seem to come up, the first is that in order to get between the towing vehicle and the front of the camper/van, you need to drop the net. The other issue is that it can become “clogged” with dust and dirt, and if it rains, this dust and dirt will form mud and become quite heavy and cause the net to sag and possibly drag on the road.

Having said that, I do not have either, but have added truck mud flaps to the rear of my car which perform the same function as Rock Tamers. I had these mud flaps already, so chose to use them. If I was spending money to buy either, I would chose the Stone Stomper despite the two inconveniences I have outlined.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638239

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 09:15

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 09:15
"There are two issues with the Stone Stomper that seem to come up, the first is that in order to get between the towing vehicle and the front of the camper/van, you need to drop the net"

Someone said to me don't bother unclipping it just walk on it! Must admit I generally just unclip a couple of the bungies, but have been caught out by forget to either clip them to something or not putting them back. Will have to try the walking on it procedure.

Mud can be an issue, on one trip we did get into the position where it was raining and due to the conditions I couldn't stop to remove it just had to press on, results were the mat was ruined and it was just the start of our 4 month adventure. Contacted the guys at Stone Stomper and they said it would take around 2 weeks to make one due to order back log. I explained my situation and and they went out of their way to make a mat and get to our next town stop in NT. The customer service is outstanding.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 916585

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 10:42

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 10:42
I have stone stomper fitted to my Pajero and camper. I can access the rear quite simply by leaning my leg into the net. Being elastic it will allow you to comfortably reach into the passenger side. If you have to get to the drivers side it takes about 10 seconds to undo the quick release latches...very easy job. I,ve had all sorts of rear guards and found the large mud flap type to be next to useless. Stone stomper can gather mud but checking it every now and again when driving in muddy conditions will prevent any damage....if need be just unclip it for the conditions...the canvas mudflap will contain most mud from collecting on net. . If driving in mud often one tip is to put extra eyelets in the centre strip and strap it up to the campers draw bar to help support it.
FollowupID: 916587

Reply By: Member - Racey - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 10:03

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 10:03
I've had both and would recommend the Stone Stomper. Experienced a lot of damage with the rock tamers
AnswerID: 638240

Reply By: Darian - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 11:30

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 11:30
We are talking‘industrial design and the need to find a practical solution to stone control. The Stomper is as close as you can get to the ideal solution in my view. Well worth the $. I’ve had barriers and nets in the past…now using the SS. As I see it, the trampoline approach wins because it stops the stones from rising up, and importantly, lets them continue rearward on their mad way !
AnswerID: 638244

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 11:51

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 11:51
Stinga68, echo the other replies, excellent product.

To endorse the customer support, I neglected to reclip after a lunch stop and travelled some K's before I stopped and corrected the problem. I did some damage to the mat and on my return I contacted Stone Stomper to see if mat could be repaired. I was heading to Adelaide in a few weeks and he said drop it in and will have a look, which I did on a Thursday afternoon. Picked it up Monday afternoon, all fixed, new fittings all around and No Charge, now that is service above and beyond.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638246

Follow Up By: Jarse - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 17:06

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 17:06
I've done the same thing, twice. Christian repaired it the first time - also for free. I included a return postpack (because I'm in Sydney). He sent it back express post, and wouldn't take any money for the repair OR the postage.

Now I have a different vehicle, and bought a new SS to suit. I told Christian about the old one (which I damaged again) and how I'd like to sell it. He sent me 2 new bungies and clips with the new one - no charge.

After-sales service second to none.
FollowupID: 916610

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Oct 09, 2021 at 09:02

Saturday, Oct 09, 2021 at 09:02
There have been similar posts on other forums with regard to the aftersales service provided by Stone Stomper. It would appear that they will stand behind their product, and go far beyond what most companies would do to provide help and service post sale. Someone even posted that Stone Stomper replaced their “net” after it had sustained damage free of charge even after warranty period had expired.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916619

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 12:39

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 12:39
I haven't read any replies here, but my unreserved recommendation is Stone Stomper. Each Stomper can be custom made to your requirements with reinforcement against wear points on A frame protrusions, etc.

Since I fitted it I get absolutely no stone damage to my fibreglass hybrid camper and no damage to the tug from reflected stones that you might get from other devices. Also, dust issues at the rear of the tug are reduced as the modified airflow seems to keep a lot of it under the trampoline and under the van.

Not only a great product but unbelievably good after sales service.

For example, after some years and many thousands of km on outback roads my Stone Stomper had holes worn in it. I sent it to the manufacturer to be patched. Instead, unasked, I received a brand new replacement. I emailed back, saying there must be some mistake and what did I owe. The answer was no mistake and nothing owed, just tell people about Stone Stomper. So here is the telling.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638247

Reply By: Brenton B2 - Monday, Oct 11, 2021 at 11:45

Monday, Oct 11, 2021 at 11:45
I've been running the SS for 5 yrs thru some very harsh terrain and recommend them, but just a couple of other points to consider, increase the size of the tugs mudflaps and the width of Stone Stomper as with fitting an intermediate support pole to hold the mesh outwards not just up because the mesh has a tendency curl up while travelling which exposes the outer edge of the van to rock strike
AnswerID: 638263

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 09:49

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021 at 09:49
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly Brenton, but here is my comments on the points you mention:-

The "mudflap" on the Stone Stomper is purely to cover the gap between the cross bar and the leading edge of the mesh. It doesn't need to be any longer.
The width of the SS cannot be wider than the van you are towing.
An intermediate support pole is recommended if the mesh is over a certain length, specified in the measuring instructions and before ordering your SS. You specify at what point you wish the intermediate support pole to be and Stone Stomper will add a sleeve for the support pole to be inserted at this point.
I use a 25mm diameter length of aluminium tube and add a pair of clips at the outer edge. Works fine for me.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 916644

Sponsored Links