Replacing Pop Top Ceiling

Submitted: Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 15:35
ThreadID: 142620 Views:8318 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Our 20 year old jayco pop top has had too many leaks over the years and the ceiling is in need of replacement.
Has anybody gone through this before and can give me an indication of the cost of replacement.

Thanks

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 19:12

Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 19:12
G'day John.
Are you a handy person and able to do the work? I would be firstly resealing any leak sources or possible sources on the poptop long before considering ceiling replacement. Otherwise the work will be in vain.
Ifgetting to the ceiling, I would imagine one side skirt would need to be partially detached from roof so sheets of suitable size could be placed inside. Through door may not provide for the sheet sizes/lengths required. No, I haven't replaced mine but have had a decent look inside roof with an endoscope while fitting LED lights. Once ceiling is removed you will see how best to fix new ceiling sheeting to roof frame. Even able to properly insulate too.
Last year I replaced ALL the rear framing on my Compass van because of water damage caused by poor initial construction when new.
Just take it one step at a time!
AnswerID: 638041

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 20:47

Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 20:47
John, be sure you know where the leaks are and fix them prior to replacing the ceiling.
If your van has an internal Bathroom/Shower the damage may be caused by condensation. I doubt replacing the ceiling will solve that problem.

Scrubby
AnswerID: 638045

Reply By: JohnHelen W - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 21:31

Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 21:31
Thanks for your replies, however I feel that the roof was not sealed inside properly before the original ceiling was installed as I have removed and replaced the external sealing a few times over the years.

I am keener to have this job done professionally and with demands from all sides for funds I would like to know, if possible, the cost of having this done professionally. Being well past 80 yo I'm just not prepared to take on the job myself.

Thanks

John
AnswerID: 638046

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 15:03

Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 15:03
John
I see why you require the job done but is there any sealing INSIDE the roof. Isn't all sealing on the external surfaces? I didn't even know they would do it inside, just haven't seen any sealing inside. My Compass van certainly isn't sealed inside. but after I repaired the outside small pin head sized slight faults in the external sealing the water drip inside in the corner, stopped.
FollowupID: 916294

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 07:01

Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 07:01
My dad had a whole new roof put onto his Jayco pop top, by a repair shop. He was shy about the cost but happy with the job. So it can be done. Ring around for prices, he was on the Gold Coast.
AnswerID: 638049

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 07:22

Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 07:22
As Mikee says there's a caravan repair place at Labrador on the Gold Coast near where I live. I've had my camper bearings and brakes done there, very good, and they do loads of caravan repairs ........ very very busy !!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638052

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 07:26

Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 07:26
16yrs ago we had a 1986 Jayco pop top had the curtain replaced the actual roof was in good condition no visible damage so I painted it with 2 coats of thermal insulation paint. The paint is like a membrane so it forms a good seal follow the instructions for preparing to paint and if you wash the roof in the future gentle hand wash no Gerni but I never hand washed mine just just occasionally hosed it without blasting it no leaks.
AnswerID: 638053

Reply By: JohnHelen W - Monday, Sep 27, 2021 at 10:36

Monday, Sep 27, 2021 at 10:36
Many thanks for your responses.
Sitting here today (public holiday in the west) and still considering all the alternatives, predominantly economic as I can't see us using the van beyond another 2 or 3 years. I'm waiting on estimates from 2 caravan repairers but the possibility is that we'll do some rep[airs ourselves (with help from some retired trady mates).

John

AnswerID: 638090

Sponsored Links