Teewah - Bring your own potty!

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 09:07
ThreadID: 142613 Views:5176 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Campers on Teewah Beach (Qld) will be required to bring and use their own portable toilet from 12 October.
ABC News item here.

I'm not a regular camper on Teewah but have experience with similar pollution on the Fraser Island (oops, K'gari) beachfront camping areas. I stopped camping there some years ago due to smell and even turds and paper appearing out of the sand under your feet! Only stayed in campgrounds with permanent toilets after that.

I'm not confident of the practicality of this move though. Campsites often comprise as many as 6 people and remain for a week or two. I expect the toilet will need to be emptied during that time and trekking to the dump points at Noosa or Rainbow Beach may be just 'too much' for some.

Anyway, if camping there after 12 October, take a toilet or $413.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 13:26

Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 13:26
The solution to the problem is to open the borders so everyone goes back to Bali for their holiday and we don’t have to share these sort of places with the masses :)
AnswerID: 638026

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 13:34

Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 13:34
No way Alby

Australia does not want NSW to spread the COVID around Australia, one thing that the NSW Government can not control.

Keep Safe
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916229

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 19:34

Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 19:34
Alan.
That creates a lot more tasks for the Rangers, checking potty "before and after" content totals to determine if a fine is appropriate or everything is deposited correctly. They may have to do a sewerage Covid check while they are at it. Camping Safety of course?
I do agree with keeping bush and beaches clean though.
AnswerID: 638029

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 20:54

Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 20:54
That is a problem, compliance is easy, but some would rather still not use a portabletoilet even if they carry one. The thought of emptying and cleaning is far too much for some people. we have had one for near 20 years, I'm all for them. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 916233

Reply By: Mikee5 - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 17:55

Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 17:55
This is another task the rangers won't do. They don't monitor campsite bookings now or fires. It is a free for all up there. It needs an active presence not office bound clowns.
AnswerID: 638040

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 at 10:00

Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 at 10:00
I presume you have not been a portable toilet user?

We use one.
Our most recent camping experience has been over the past 4 months on Cape York, where the poo situation is dreadful in many places, due to ignorance & laziness.

As you might imagine, with dump points rare, & the few that exist long distances apart, we have to dig holes to empty our porta potti. Without going into too much detail we feel that the liquid nature of our napisan treated toilet contents, which soaks away at the bottom of our 2’ deep holes, often before we have refilled the hole, is far more friendly than the often seen single poo shallow holes with unburied paper, (or worse still unburied).
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 638079

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 at 11:32

Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 at 11:32
Hi Cuppa,

No, not a portable toilet user. Not yet, but soon to become one.
I am outfitting a 4WD Sprinter motor home which incorporates one so a learning curve awaits!
As we will be travelling away from 'civilisation' and dump facilities we also will have need of disposal strategies and I expect to do as you describe. As you, I view such to be an acceptable method of disposal as it will never be located close to where someone else will be likely to establish a camp.
Not so the experiences I have had with barely concealed 'dumps' on Fraser Island nominated campsites and elsewhere!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 916322

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Sep 27, 2021 at 08:46

Monday, Sep 27, 2021 at 08:46
Allan,

K’Guri please. :-)

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 916343

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Sep 27, 2021 at 09:20

Monday, Sep 27, 2021 at 09:20
Macca, why bother? There is a good chance that it will have a Chinese name in the near future!
Either that or the Yanks will put an air base there and call it New Miami. Not lol.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 916344

Reply By: Greg A6 - Monday, Sep 27, 2021 at 14:52

Monday, Sep 27, 2021 at 14:52
By the way, there is a dump site at Freshwater camping area, so not too far to travel.
AnswerID: 638094

Sponsored Links