Old Telegraph Track - Cape York FNQ

Hi All
Here's another video from our recent trip up Cape York
We left our van at Bramwell for a few days so we could explore the area without it & travelled the section of the Telegraph Track from Bramwell to just north of Cockatoo Creek where it rejoins the PDR.
It was a fun day even if we nearly ran out of daylight.........
Nothing really extreme, just our way of doing things.
Hope you enjoy it
Cheers
Paul
PMK3AUSTRALIA

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Sep 02, 2021 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 02, 2021 at 00:00
Another great video Paul
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637740

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Sep 02, 2021 at 08:22

Thursday, Sep 02, 2021 at 08:22
Nothing extreme. Just a sensible, safe way of ensuring you had a great trip in and could get yourself out without a flat tray truck. Good vid.
AnswerID: 637747

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 02, 2021 at 14:15

Thursday, Sep 02, 2021 at 14:15
Why do people have to put stickers on everything? Still seems to be no regulations up there. Drive where you want, trash the track, make a new one , bush bash etc etc. What will it look like in 5 or 10 years. And I said similar after our 2016 trip. Have a look at the Palm Creek pix in places to compare -here.Palm Ck
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 637758

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Thursday, Sep 02, 2021 at 18:15

Thursday, Sep 02, 2021 at 18:15
G Day Warrie
I guess the shear numbers that visit these places are going to bring change to track conditions. Especially in the past couple of years. Our first visit was in 2006 & we hardly saw another vehicle & tracks were much less eroded than now. You're never going to change that & as the numbers increase it's probably only going to get worse.
As for the stickers, I think they are only a minor problem & we would only leave one where there are already many. We normally only put them up at locations where you are invited to leave your mark. Usually for a donation to the RFDS
I still can't figure out why anyone would bend the old telegraph poles.........
On this trip most people we met were ok as far a I could see but there were a few cowboys out there also that seem to me like they are trying to prove something.
They are probably not the type to watch my videos........ Ha ! Don't really care anyway.
From our videos you can see our approach to these trips are relaxed. I found it a pretty easy drive without any real amount of effort but we did bypass Gunshot. As we travel alone & don't rely on back up we need to be sensible.
I hope you enjoy you future travels & don't let the numbers of visitors spoil it for you. Or find more remote places to visit........ as unfortunately things are only going to get busier as the access becomes easier. There are many sections of bitumen all the way to Bramwell now! Was none of that back in 2006!
Cheers
Paul
PMK3AUSTRALIA

FollowupID: 915884

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 07:54

Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 07:54
Paul,
People bend the telegraph poles to gain access to the insulators in order to steal them.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 915926

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 08:13

Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 08:13
Thanks Allan
That makes sense
This was my second trip up there in 15 years & I don’t remember seeing any insulators back in 2006 either
I guess we can’t blame the current travellers for stealing them.
Cheers
Paul
PMK3AUSTRALIA
FollowupID: 915928

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 09:32

Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 09:32
No Paul, the insulators all disappeared long ago!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 915930

Reply By: nick g1 - Sunday, Sep 05, 2021 at 22:13

Sunday, Sep 05, 2021 at 22:13
That's the way to do, sensibly like you. Some of the extreme 4wdrive action videos would have you believe it's almost undoable. You have eased my mind. Was there in 1990 in a 40series and again in 2000 in a 100series. Must be about time to go again! How far north did you go with your caravan and how did it handle it all. We have a 6.4m van and 79series. How do you think we would go? Would like to to here your sensible input please.
AnswerID: 637809

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 07:55

Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 07:55
Hi Nick
Yeah I’m sure a lot of the action is created on some videos. Probably why they get more viewers than me
We did avoid the real serious crossings opting for the less adventurous way across the creeks
We took the van all the way to Siesia. Leaving at places along the way to explore the OTT without it.
The PDR & Bamaga rd were ok for the most of the trip
There were sections that were pretty corrugated but not for long. I found the whole trip pretty easy but take it easy & drop your tyre pressure.
We sat on 60 or 70kmh for most of the towing with no problem
A lot of people left their vans at Bramwell or even earlier & camped their way up. Many had serious off road vans, I don’t know why you would buy one & not do a trip like this
I think with a little care it’s easily doable
Cheers
Paul
PMK3AUSTRALIA

FollowupID: 915927

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 08:56

Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 08:56
Hi Paul,

Agree totally with your sentiments with regard to people leaving their perfectly reliable purpose built off road van behind when travelling to The Tip. We went all the way to Punsand Bay with our Off Road van. We did however leave the van at Bramwell Junction when we did TOTT.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 915929

Follow Up By: nick g1 - Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 11:35

Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 11:35
Thanks Paul and Macca for your replys. Will have to start the covid-free planing.
FollowupID: 915933

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Sep 07, 2021 at 08:02

Tuesday, Sep 07, 2021 at 08:02
When we went in 2018, we only stayed in two caravan parks, and that was in Punsand Bay, and Bramwell Junction. Everywhere else, we just pulled off the side of the road and camped off grid. Road construction gravel pits are good place to overnight, they are generally flat. Of course if you want to spend a few days somewhere, gravel pits may not be suitable. We did not have enough time to do much “sightseeing”, so plan on going back and spending a little more time in a few different places.

I would recommend Loyalty Beach over Punsand Bay, both offer similar levels of accommodation and facilities, but Loyalty Beach is less crowded.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 915962

Sponsored Links